Why Are All Mods Made Like Crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostbladder

Jul 3, 2020
Wismec 3 Battery? No good. Breaks within a year without dropping. Replicated on two mods.

Wismec 2/3 mod? Yet again, poor manufacturing. Wires not soldered properly. Almost lasted a year.

Squid Industries Double-Barrel? Craps out after 1 month without any damage. Wont turn on.

GeekVape Aegis Legend? 2 months and not reading the batteries right. Never so much as tipped over on my desk.

smok? Had more than I can count or bother to recall the exact models, but every one busted within a year.

None of them seem true to their warranties either. They make it as tedious a process as possible. I haven't tried with the Aegis Legend yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably more of the same.

At this point, I am convinced that I have spent more money on mods than I have on juice. These mods are all made like crap. I don't want to spend $80 every few months to get a new mod. I just want to vape for gods sake.

Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I had a topside last a year, which is impressive, as it took several 4"+ drops onto concrete... Smoke and Wismec though, those I consider semi-disposable.
As for warranty, I'd imagine the difficult process is due to counterfeit protections. I have had one mod where all I had to do was send video of the issue, picture of the authenticity sticker, and a copy of the invoice. I had a replacement from Vandy Vape within 4 days, so not too difficult.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
jaq yep, dani anything but the amazing Teslacigs Steampunk nano (provided your door works AND OR you get a fix for it because nothing is perfect) was my first mod) I dropped it constantly, leaked down through it has never skipped a beat.

But, you might want to be checked out medically your blood might be circulating the wrong way displacing the flow of like, electrons or perhaps there are a few apology/amends letters worth writing you never know who might be casting the evil eye down upon you, etc.
Anna

RichardV

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
The Golden Isles of Georgia, USA
I still use a Smok AL85 that I bought over 3 years ago and a Smoant Battlestar almost as old, both have almost all the paint worn off. Of the numerous mods that I have bought only 2 have died, a laisimo Spring and a Famovape Magma. I have many Smok, GeekVape, Vandy Vape, Wismec, Smoant, Teslacigs, Wotofo, ect. that are holding up well (my Daughter will inherit a gold mine when i pass). I have at least 4 in a rotation on a daily basis vaping over 30ml a day.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I agree seems that most affordable mods don't seem well build...but there is also things that can brake them besides falling down...extreme heat or cold temps....charging batteries into the mod while it creates a lot of heat...tighter very tight the 510 could be things that cause problems....of if they where build better we wouldn't have to worry for all that....but yeah as others more experienced vapers say....seems that some more expensive brands of mods produce better quality stuff that u may pay a lot but in the long run u end up paying less that if u would with a cheaper mod...

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I disagree with the premise. Not all mods are made like crap. But there is stiff competition, poor workmanship and quality control, with a mad rush to market, made in countries without regulations.

Now, I have this aspire mini pegasus. Simple mod I vape at about 13w into a naughty mini or the mini triton, using the same coils. And I have a eleaf pico mega that uses 26650s.

All are at least 4 years old. And both used daily. OK, the pegasus looks really worn, scratches and the plastic screen covering is dented. The tank still looks great, btw. The pico mega fire button is worn (plated plastic) but with a jwrap, it looks good.

But a mistake with the 26650s. I'd be happier just staying with the 18650s. For the size and weight, you'd think they would last a long time, but no.

But both function great, threads still good, all functions work. I only charge bats in the mod in a desperate situation, maybe once a year?

I did have a pico mega fail after a horrid tank leak.

YMMV.

(this from a guy with a pair of 25+ year old Volvo 940s, 300,000 miles each. Buy good crap, take care of it, and don't beat it)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    But a mistake with the 26650s. I'd be happier just staying with the 18650s. For the size and weight, you'd think they would last a long time, but no.

I use the Pico Mega with 26650 Hohm Tech batts and they last me almost 2 full days at 15-18W.

I actually dropped it on concrete one day when I took it outside. Was a pretty hard fall and I didn't expect it would make it. But sure enough, it's chuggin' along. Only got a small nick on the body at the point of impact. The paint's pretty solid. Didn't chip or anything. Just a little nick on the paint. Not even a dent.

I agree, it's a bit heavy and somewhat awkward, I only got it because it was on clearance. Actually I got several. lol For me, it's almost strictly a desk mod. I only got them recently (about 7 months ago) and if they last as long as my Pico 75W mods have so far, I'll be very happy with them for the price I paid.

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    They're not all bad - this Old Stager will be five years old if it makes it to the 17th of November. It's had hard use, travelled half way round the world and as you can see by the scratches discolouration etc it's the one I grab whenever there's work to be done.

MOD.jpg

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    [QUOTE="lostbladder, post: 22894621, member: 367435"

At this point, I am convinced that I have spent more money on mods than I have on juice. These mods are all made like crap. I don't want to spend $80 every few months to get a new mod. I just want to vape for gods sake.

Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.[/QUOTE]

All mods are NOT crap! Lots of exceptional ones have stood the time trials for many years for me. Some high end ones I bought early in vaping that were considered by most folks to be top drawer were not my thing and were a waste of a lot of money. I did my own homework. Others that got it done for me at first were far less expensive to more expensive than them. But it wasn't about the cost, it was about the design AND the quality of the company that made them. And I soon learned that I preferred mechs. So... since 2014 I've often said buy a Reo once (or 37 times like I did) and/or VapourArt GP PAPS (11 times) and you'll never have to buy another mod again. With very little care they will last a lifetime. Several of the other "brands" of mechs and regulated mods that I also bought have stood the time as well. So my lessor gear was mostly the early gear I bought, a few so called authentic ones I got direct from China later that were in fact not authentic or were pure junk and endless worthless atty's.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Has anyone had a mod that has lasted them over a year? What kind was it? I've asked this before and that's what led me to the Double-Barrel and the Aegis Legend. Both have failed on me even sooner than my previous attempts.

I've never had a bad mod in 10 years of vaping. Maybe I'm just lucky. I wish some of those old ones would die as I don't like them anymore--not happening. ;)

From cigalikes, MVPs,, eGos, ProVari, VF Flask, VaporFi V-Grip, Defender, Kanger, Wismec Presa, Pico, Evic Primo mini, various Eleaf iSticks, Asmodus, Geekvape Solos... They are all alive and well.

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Voopoo drag original was still going strong after 2 yrs when I gave it to a friend. I also used a vaporesso switcher for well over a year and I still have it. It's on vacation right now but I have no doubt that it'll fire right up when I take it back out. I really liked the voopoo drag and missed it so I bought a drag 2. And it's just fine but I haven't had it too awfully long yet. I can personally vouch that smok didnt make many long lasting mods. None that I had even made it a year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread