Strangest Battery Explosion Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smillett_vox

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Vernon, CT, USA
To state the obvious, one of my batteries exploded, but not in a very ordinary way. It was a Panasonic CGR18650CH so it was a quality battery and I had just taken it off the charger so I could go out for the night. So I put it in my little pouch where I keep my ecig stuff (batteries, juice, mod...etc.) where I also stashed a bunch of change because I had no cash on me. I did that and walked out the door, got in my car and got on my way when, waddaya know, one of my batteries explodes. I thought "$#!@, my ecig just blew"...until I opened the bag. I thought that because I have a Sigelei #20 and the locking mechanism on the switch isn't really the best and I thought it could've unlocked and been constantly firing. Once I opened the bag and got an actual look, though, I found out that the other battery *outside of any mod* was the actual culprit.

The purpose of this story is to ask what it could've been that caused this. Could it have been the change in the bag? Or maybe just an internal problem in the battery? I can't make much sense of it myself. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
pics or it didn't happen :p

And you are telling us you had a loose battery in a bag with metal conductors that could short it out?

Was the battery in some sort of plastic case to prevent ANY chance of a short?

Any time you carry a loose highly charged and sealed + pressurized battery..carry em in something like these below...

http://www.amazon.com/Soshine-CR123A-Battery-Protective-Bottle/dp/B00ABE7YYA
414j19ADbVL._SY300_.jpg

http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-2-18650-4-cr123a-battery-protective-case-2-pack-18074
sku_18074_1.jpg

The one above is dual purpose
18650's longway x2, or 18350's side by side x4

Never carry loose batteries in a pocket with change man...that's don't blow your junk off 101

Last edited:

smillett_vox

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Vernon, CT, USA
Oh...(facepalm)

I feel like a dumbass now. At least it wasn't in my pocket but on the passenger seat in a bag. Thanks for the heads up, though. I will definitely be investing on one of those cases so that this doesn't happen again.

Edit: And I can't really show pics of the battery because I tossed it so it wouldn't burn a hole in anything in my car but I can show you the somewhat melted inside of the bag

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread