Let's talk chimney micro coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my first Russian (yes, is is a genuine 91%, not a clone) on Monday. My first build was a chimney coil and I tried using silica, and it didn't allow me to set up my wick like I wanted, it just refused to stay still. So I built a vertical and got frustrated with the silica and grabbed some cotton. It was amazing. After a day I decided to build a chimney coil.

My first coil was 30Ga wrapped on a 3/23 bit, 11/10. It came out to ~1.5-1.6 ohms, and I liked to run it at 7.1 watts. The flavor was amazing, but I had to let it warm up for a second. Admittedly I soaked my cotton accidentally with strawberry lemonade, when I intended to use cinnamon, and filled my tank with cinnamon. The flavor was ridiculous. I mean amazing. It was so powerful that it was like I had raw liquid on the back of my tongue, and in my throat. The vapor production was exceptional. So I tried to blend some cinnamon and s/l, and my flavor was not as good. I emptied my tank and looked at the cotton, and the cotton looked nasty. It was burned.

So I decided to rip it apart and build a 28Ga coil, with a goal of 1.5 ohms. 8 wraps on a 5/32 bit got me 2 ohms, so I yanked it out and went to 6/5 and it heated up instantly, which was my goal. But now, even at 5 watts, I am getting slightly burned hits unless I leave it to sit 30 seconds between hits.

My wick is sterile cotton. I wrap the coil loosely, and run a leg over my top leg of the coil as I think I saw in Rip's Kayfun vid. I loosely pack the wick in the chamber until it reaches the top of the coil.

What do I need to do to make the coil fire like it does with my current coil build, but wick like it did in my first build with the huge flavor? Am I packing the wick too tight? Is it too loose? Is there too much or too little cotton in the chamber?

I am almost ready to go back to horizontal coils, but I really want my chimneys to work.

DSCN2751sm_zps39d4168d.jpg

On the left is the 30ga 1.5 ohm, and the right is the 28ga 2 ohm. So I think my coils are built well.

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
Can you post a pic of what the build looks likes with cotton in it? I am looking to try one of these vertical builds. I did one last night, I wrapped the cotton loosely around the coil but i think the cotton shifted or something thru the day.

Are you suppose to also add cotton to the chimney area also once you screw the chimney into place? or just wrap cotton around the coil on each side?

Sure...

DSCN2762sm_zpscd90c8de.jpg

DSCN2760sm_zpsc7e5d518.jpg

From what I have seen you are supposed to center the coil directly over the airflow hole. Leave the center of the coil unobstructed by your wick, in my case rolled cotton. Place a small dab of cotton over the top leg of the coil so it is unexposed. I stick some wick between the coil and post under the top leg of the coil and wrap one end over the top of that leg and down into the well. The other leg of cotton goes around the coil and into the well. Finally, I place the chimney onto the base and stick a tiny piece of cotton into each side of the well, making it level with the top of the coil.

I am certain my coil build is correct, but I am unsure if my issues are the result of my wick, or if I should be building my coils with a different wire. Perhaps 29ga will give me a happy medium between coil length and speed of heating.

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
I've been using this type build on my Russian and Tobeco clone for a couple of months now. I use hemp fiber for the wick and packing, it resist scorching better than cotton. In my experience I have found that it's best to not over power the coil in this type build. Though higher power will produce more vaper and flavor (for a while) it will scorch the liquid and clog the wick quickly.

I've been using this type build on my Russian and Tobeco clone for a couple of months now. I use hemp fiber for the wick and packing, it resist scorching better than cotton. In my experience I have found that it's best to not over power the coil in this type build. Though higher power will produce more vaper and flavor (for a while) it will scorch the liquid and clog the wick quickly.

At this moment I have my setting at 5.6 watts (3 volts) and I have no worthwhile flavor. Since I just opened it to take these pics, I wanted to keep it cool so as not to burn my wick.

I have considered buying some hemp wool, but ATM all I have is cotton.

I am getting close to scrapping the chimney as I am going out in a bit, and I don't want to have a crappy vape this evening. But I am stubborn, and really want to get this right rather than scrapping it.

Does my set up look right to you?

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
From experience my Russian wont preform well with high VG liquid. Ive built it 5 times in the last 2 days trying to get it to work with my high VG stuff and I find I have to cover the air hole and draw through to build up pressure and force some liquid into the chimney. Guess I need to wait till monday when my PG comes in so I can mix up some 50/50.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
now guys ... i just got a fogger v3 in the mail a day ago and pulled the crappy ss wick and built my own 1.2 ohm micro...semi micro coil horizontal and ran cotton through the center to the edge of the juice channels and then stuffed a small amount on the deck allong the sides to stop leakage and still maintain air flow, it worked graet pleanty of vapor but a little muted on the flavor.

i got a typical fogger v3 pos post short and dissasembled the thing and rebuilt it washed and cleaned.... no problem with dissasembly or assembly,

any way i keep seeing people rave about the vertical coil in the kayfun and fogger type attys and i am wondering .... is this a fad or does it work ?

it would seem to make your fogger/kayfun into a bottom coil carto tank lol if thats what you want to call it. but T WAT COST lol it would seem difficult to setup in that tinny well, is it worth it and how often do you swap cotton ?

how many use silica ? and when you run silica how do you set up and what size do you use ?

right now i have 400 ss mesh, cotton, 3mm silica, 28g and 32g kanthal..... what do you recomend for a great fogger setup for vaping an ry4 type vg base juice like, HHV heavanly tobacco or halo tribeca ?

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
I have also been using this build on my Russian for a couple of months now.
29g for 1.5 ohms, cotton packed loosely in the wells and around the coil:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's easy to want to pack too much cotton in which will choke the wick holes, but once you find the right balance it wicks fine. I have gone as high as 70% VG with no wicking issues from full tank to empty.
As for the longevity of the cotton- the longest I have gone without replacing is 3 weeks, though I vape liquids that are mostly colorless and don't gunk wicks. To be honest I probably could have gone longer but thought for sure that I needed to change it out.
Flavor is the best out of any build I have done, and I think it is just a result of the sheer volume of liquid around the coil. It produces a warm, thick "wet" vape that teeters on the verge of a flooded build but still produces good vapor.
Personally, this is the only build I use or will continue to use in my Russian because it is just so damned tasty!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Glad you got it done. I've been strictly vertical in my oddy for quite some time. A lot of times after you get it primed up and going for a while that the wicking settles and you have to add a little more to keep it touching the coil and also so it doesn't knock loose. I run at 15 watts all day long as you have the wicking right.

Boy, did I get lucky. I was hanging out at a friend's house tonight hitting on my Russian, and there was a guy there who was interested. He was hitting on a simple eGo, so I didn't think much. We got to talking and it turns out he owns several pieces, including a Kayfun 3.1 and a Kayfun Lite. He went out to his car and came back with several nice pieces. I discussed my issues with my Russian and he pulled out his building supplies.

It turns out that I had too much cotton in my chamber. He showed me how much to put in the wells. I had about twice what I should have in it. He basically wound up fluffing up the cotton and just barely put any in it compared to what I had stuffed in there... maybe half. It wound up being about the same height, it was just very loosely packed. He said it swells up more than you would think. He was impressed with my coil, and said everything else looked perfect.

Now I have so much more flavor.

Moral of the story to n00bs like me with your Kayfuns/Russians with chimney coil set ups... Use about 1/2 of the cotton you think you should.

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
OK well at my very first attempt at making one of these coils i either got really lucky or something..

I built the vertical coil like everyone does. Now the part were your suppose to insert a thin piece under the long leg of the top of the coil and then loosely wrap it around the coil i did not do. When i build my vertical coil, the top leg of the coil when coming down had little to no opened to were i could fit the smallest piece of cotton thru it. So before i tore it apart and said screw it, I just put the chimney on with any cotton in it. I then took a small piece of cotton and stretched it apart so that it was very very loose and i formed it into a strip. I then just tucked it into the chimney forming it around the coil and even though i did not pack it down tight, I made sure it was loosely packed around the coil from top to bottom, all around and leaving the opening open and clear. I then soaked the cotton, put it together, filled it up and have been vaping on this build for over an hour now with no dry hits and no flooding. I can even chain cape this thing and it keeps up!

The moral of the story is, I didn't even bother with wrapping the coil with cotton, or the leg with cotton. I just put the chimney on and THEN place the cotton in the chimney with a needle.

So far so good.. WOW this has to be the best build i have experienced so far!

now guys ... i just got a fogger v3 in the mail a day ago and pulled the crappy ss wick and built my own 1.2 ohm micro...semi micro coil horizontal and ran cotton through the center to the edge of the juice channels and then stuffed a small amount on the deck allong the sides to stop leakage and still maintain air flow, it worked graet pleanty of vapor but a little muted on the flavor.

i got a typical fogger v3 pos post short and dissasembled the thing and rebuilt it washed and cleaned.... no problem with dissasembly or assembly,

any way i keep seeing people rave about the vertical coil in the kayfun and fogger type attys and i am wondering .... is this a fad or does it work ?

it would seem to make your fogger/kayfun into a bottom coil carto tank lol if thats what you want to call it. but T WAT COST lol it would seem difficult to setup in that tinny well, is it worth it and how often do you swap cotton ?

how many use silica ? and when you run silica how do you set up and what size do you use ?

right now i have 400 ss mesh, cotton, 3mm silica, 28g and 32g kanthal..... what do you recomend for a great fogger setup for vaping an ry4 type vg base juice like, HHV heavanly tobacco or halo tribeca ?

The fogger loos to me like it is difficult to build. The nice thing about the KFL/R91 is that the posts sit above the deck. The fogger appears to me like the posts sit inside the well.

In my extremely limited experience, silica is hard to use. My first coil was a vertical coil. I couldn't get the silica to sit down in the well. I tried to instal the lower portion of the chimney and then work the silica into the well. It refused to stay still. Even cutting small pieces if the wick and trying to stick it in the well proved impossible for me. Cotton was simple to get it to stick where I wanted it to. I knew I was going to try cotton, but after my failed attempts with silica I ran to the store and grabbed cotton. The silica was, IMO, worthless for my builds.

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
I have also been using this build on my Russian for a couple of months now.
29g for 1.5 ohms, cotton packed loosely in the wells and around the coil:

View attachment 294210

View attachment 294211

It's easy to want to pack too much cotton in which will choke the wick holes, but once you find the right balance it wicks fine. I have gone as high as 70% VG with no wicking issues from full tank to empty.
As for the longevity of the cotton- the longest I have gone without replacing is 3 weeks, though I vape liquids that are mostly colorless and don't gunk wicks. To be honest I probably could have gone longer but thought for sure that I needed to change it out.
Flavor is the best out of any build I have done, and I think it is just a result of the sheer volume of liquid around the coil. It produces a warm, thick "wet" vape that teeters on the verge of a flooded build but still produces good vapor.
Personally, this is the only build I use or will continue to use in my Russian because it is just so damned tasty!

Damn how did u get ur cotton to wick like that and perfectly surround the coil without overdoing the cotton. Was that fresh cotton cause I see no burns.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I redid my cotton now it gurgles like a ...... Shouldn't have messed with it.

Moral of the story.. If it ain't broke don't fix it lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't know why, but whenever I fill mine I get gurgle as well. It doesn't matter if it is from the top or bottom. I have tried a small syringe from the bottom so as not to build pressure, I have tried sealing the bottom with my juice bottle's filling top, I have tried everything.

Turn it upside down and lightly blow into the drip tip. Put a napkin near the airhole. You will get juice out of it.

I have read about covering the airhole when filling the R91/KFL, but I have not been able to keep this issue from occuring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread