FDA The "flavors & kids" thing again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
I'm sorry, but I don't see any "%20," and my attempts to delete "%" led to no valid URL.

How about this, just delete the asterisks: http:**//tobacco**.ucsf.**edu/%E2%80%9Csuper-high%E2%80%9D-nicotine-youth-appealing-electronic-cigarette-flavors

I'm assuming different browsers might read it differently, now that you mention it..

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Here are flavors (selectively chosen by me, out of dozens) that Glantz et. al take issue with (noted in linked piece):

- Vanilla
- Cola
- Banana Nut Bread
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Vanilla Mocha Frappe
- Cinnamon Roll
- Watermelon
- Strawberry Kiwi

All of these deemed youth appealing flavors (with high nic).

I post this because as I think we all agree it is not the cotton candy, gummy bears and gum ball flavors that they seek to exploit on this flavor tangent. Instead, it is all possible sweet flavors, and yet they also include Pizza.

I look forward to colliding with ANTZ on this issue. Admittedly they may get a hail mary pass that puts them in the red zone, but pretty sure they will fumble and our side will return it for a touch down.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Here are flavors (selectively chosen by me, out of dozens) that Glantz et. al take issue with (noted in linked piece):

- Vanilla
- Cola
- Banana Nut Bread
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Vanilla Mocha Frappe
- Cinnamon Roll
- Watermelon
- Strawberry Kiwi

All of these deemed youth appealing flavors (with high nic).

I post this because as I think we all agree it is not the cotton candy, gummy bears and gum ball flavors that they seek to exploit on this flavor tangent. Instead, it is all possible sweet flavors, and yet they also include Pizza.

I look forward to colliding with ANTZ on this issue. Admittedly they may get a hail mary pass that puts them in the red zone, but pretty sure they will fumble and our side will return it for a touch down.

Vanilla mocha frappe?? Yeah, I can see children lining up around the block for that one :rolleyes: most kids I know can't even pronounce that...

The flavors thing always sounded like hocus pocus to me. It's just something they pulled out of thin air (or their derriere) to support their draconian prohibition efforts.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
Vanilla mocha frappe?? Yeah, I can see children lining up around the block for that one :rolleyes: most kids I know can't even pronounce that...

The flavors thing always sounded like hocus pocus to me. It's just something they pulled out of thin air (or their derriere) to support their draconian prohibition efforts.

*I* can't even pronounce these fancy smantzy names!

This whole flavor=kids=gateway argument is for the intellectually vacant masses who have either totally atrophied brains, or have maliciously deactivated their ability to think like a human over the age of 4 years old.

The so-called "logic" immediately fails with people who give it 30 seconds of thought.

But that is, in and of itself the problem: far too many people in this day & age do NOT want to have to think! Provide them with emotion laden buzzwords and they are satisfied.

The moment you ask for proof, or the basis of such moronic, childish assertions, they 'fumble' and stumble.

And as long as we don't play the field like the Detroit Lions (note my location!), we should be able to do exactly what Jman predicts: recover the ball, spike it over the goal posts (even with the penalty on the ensuing kick-off), and do everything in our power to humiliate them.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
For anyone having trouble with the link, here's an easier way to post a broken link. You can copy and paste into your browser without problems if you highlight the whole link first:

tobacco.
ucsf.
edu/%E2%80%9Csuper-high%E2%80%9D-nicotine-youth-appealing-electronic-cigarette-flavors

(if there's a "www", just delete that along with any http or https)

Of course, the brilliant folks at UCSF put quote marks in the URL as well (which explains all the nonsense there in part of it)...practically a mortal sin :facepalm:

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
Yea a re-occurring theme. Repeated from different angles. Its no coincidence. No?

The kid gambit kind of dries like paint on a wall.

Helpful information gets denied ink and press.

Presto they have a workable vehicle.

The one that bothers me the worst is the wall when your having discussions. They stall you. While they listen and say nothing. They will get back to you on "your concerns." In the end they throw you a hankie, for your concerns (tears). That's the answer in a NO.

My bad for the negativity but if the FDA's inclinations toward vapers are positive for the industry, by now there ought to be some idea given from them, on things the vaping industry can count on to keep. At least then the vendors could stabilize there business plans.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Real men don't like bubblegum.

bubblegum1.jpg
bubblegum2.jpg
bubblegum3.jpg
bubblegum4.jpg
bubblegum5.jpg

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
FDA Boxer.jpg

Jelly Belly as well as MANY manufacturers and flavoring companies have done extensive research into adult vs. kids flavors; kids like grape, orange and both like cherry. The end. Kids do NOT like complex flavoring like ... gummi bears, coffee, coconut, mango, carmel, vanilla etc. Those are WELL documented to be adult flavors.

Just try getting a kid to taste something they aren't familar with.

Glantz must not have kids.

Last edited:
Kids will do anything whether you market it towards them or not. Hell you can specifically market things against teen's and they will still do it. By the logic that the FDA is proposing that the flavoring is marketed it towards kids, it makes it seem that when you turn 18 you no longer like things that taste good.
I know many people who know Vanilla, and I'm sure there are a lot of kids that like that flavor as well.

My favorite flavor is Raspberry Lemonade. I guess I can say goodbye to that as it tastes good which OBVIOUSLY means its marketed towards kids.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
View attachment 363307

Jelly Belly as well as MANY manufacturers and flavoring companies have done extensive research into adult vs. kids flavors; kids like grape, orange and both like cherry. The end. Kids do NOT like complex flavoring like ... gummi bears, coffee, coconut, mango, carmel, vanilla etc. Those are WELL documented to be adult flavors.

Jelly Belly !

President Reagan
http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/reference/jellybellies.html

"President Reagan’s favorite Jelly Belly flavor was licorice."

C315-2.jpg

They became quite popular because of him !!

Last edited:

Cyatis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Stratford, Wisconsin

I have to absolutely agree there, my kids when young would take a lot of coaxing to try anything new and strange, and they didn't like anything but basic flavors. As they grew older, the spectrum of stuff they will eat has grown.

We know they are lying. The sad part, they know it to.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Since, by law, there are only two flavors of cigarettes, tobacco and menthol, how is vaping Raspberry Lemonade going to lead kids to tobacco and/or menthol? We know how nasty cigarettes tasted when we began smoking and after having vaped for a while. However, IF there is no choice and tobacco and menthol are the ONLY two flavors available then kids will smoke OR vape those flavors......I did when I started back in the early 1960's. Young kids are harmed all the time by "sampling" the stuff you store under the sink in your kitchen and laundry room. NONE of that stuff is "candy" flavored and they never see an adult eat or drink it!

The tobacco companies would like to "corner" the market on ecigs and possibly keep the development level at the 2007 date knowing they are expensive and frustrating enough that there is the likelyhood of a return to smoking the real thing. The governments (fed and state) get to tax them because after all they are "tobacco" and tobacco companies would be the only ones producing them.

Meanwhile, the pharmaceutical companies are upset that they are losing revenues to ecigs because, as primitive as they are, ecigs are better than their flavored gum and candies.....er, lozenges NTR's. They want ecigs eliminated entirely.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Another fun way to look at it is which to you think tastes better?
NRT gum / logenzes or eliquid (eww)?

fda toddlers.jpg

Are they saying it's ok for teens to put patches all over their bodies until they get sick and throw up?
It's astonshing their comments are believed.
The FDA has WAAAAAY to much "public trust".

I've noticed a number of Senator's have responded with something that says "we HAVE TO trust what the FDA/CDC says"

Since, by law, there are only two flavors of cigarettes, tobacco and menthol, how is vaping Raspberry Lemonade going to lead kids to tobacco and/or menthol? We know how nasty cigarettes tasted when we began smoking and after having vaped for a while. However, IF there is no choice and tobacco and menthol are the ONLY two flavors available then kids will smoke OR vape those flavors......I did when I started back in the early 1960's. Young kids are harmed all the time by "sampling" the stuff you store under the sink in your kitchen and laundry room. NONE of that stuff is "candy" flavored and they never see an adult eat or drink it!

The tobacco companies would like to "corner" the market on ecigs and possibly keep the development level at the 2007 date knowing they are expensive and frustrating enough that there is the likelyhood of a return to smoking the real thing. The governments (fed and state) get to tax them because after all they are "tobacco" and tobacco companies would be the only ones producing them.

Meanwhile, the pharmaceutical companies are upset that they are losing revenues to ecigs because, as primitive as they are, ecigs are better than their flavored gum and candies.....er, lozenges NTR's. They want ecigs eliminated entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread