The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

FDA Previews War On Flavors

Discussion in 'FDA Regulations' started by WorksForMe, Dec 22, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. WorksForMe

WorksForMe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 21, 2012
    N.N., Virginia
    "Despite the four-year delay in its near-ban of vapor products, it has always been apparent that the U.S. FDA would continue to harass vapor product users and merchants. In particular it was clear that limiting flavor options would be part of their strategy. The Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, the executive office that reviews proposed regulations, has posted an abstract of the FDA’s first move in this direction."

FDA Previews War On Flavors

I'm not sure I agree with all the opinions expressed in this article, but maybe I'm wearing rose colored glasses. According to OIRAs abtract:

"This ANPRM will seek information on how it might regulate flavors in tobacco products to limit appeal to youth while taking into account the potential role that some flavors may play in helping some users transition away from combusted products."

• Like Like x 3
  2. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    Again, the youth are going to experiment - this has even been said by Zeller. So...

If:
    "“Evidence shows that flavored tobacco products, especially those that are sweet or are described with terms attractive to kids, appeal to youth and also shows that youth may be more likely to initiate tobacco use with such products.”

And:
    "The abstract speaks generically about “tobacco products” but it is clearly aimed at vapor products and smokeless tobacco (characterizing flavors other than menthol are already banned for cigarettes)."

Then:
    It is more likely that the youth would experiment with vaping (or the less harmful smokeless) rather than cigarettes. QED

And if flavors keep adults vaping rather than smoking.... win, win.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    So make alcohol taste terrible and kids won't driink. But kids willl vape just the same if flavors go away because it's the clouds that interest them, not flavors and not nicotine. My first puff was after watching a companion blow a smoke ring. I had to try that. The rest is history.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Just another reason to DIY on ejuice.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    But, they "officials" are going by the "Evidence shows...." that it's flavors. Not sure if 'big clouds' were part of the study :- )

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    I thought the "new" thing is Juuling for the nic buzz?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ENAUD

ENAUD falling, falling, down the rabbit hole... Verified Member ECF Veteran

The FDA appears to be clinically schizophrenic and sociopathic, time to give them a dose of Soma, and a permanent holiday...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    The FDA needs to do this exercise so let's have some fun. What are the names of the best selling flavors in the US?

I hated the taste of eliquid until I learned too mix my own and the secret was to use the absolute minimum amount of flavoring. I also mix for a brother of mine. We both vape the same thing, one flavor at 1%. If we had to switch to a flavoring that isn't banned it would be no big deal. How are they going to ban food flavoring marketed as food flavoring? And what about taking all the nic out of cigarettes? I love that idea.

• Like Like x 2
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Ah, I have given up understanding what the FDA is trying to do. I'm just upping my game in DIY supplies at this point... :(

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. ENAUD

ENAUD falling, falling, down the rabbit hole... Verified Member ECF Veteran

The FDA is legislation without representation. They issue any edict they please and all we can do is plead to our unlistening overlords...

take tobacco control out of their hands, and dissociate vaping from tobacco, there is no tobacco in vapor products.

FDA will have zero effect on me and my vaping, ever...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Wooots

Wooots Full Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Guess the tabaco industry pressure is important to have thoses kind of "things"

But i can admit, going out after flavor to "take them down" with lame excuses such as "kid protection", is kinda smart.
    A bit too obvious to me, but still smart, i totaly can picture all thoses ppl not really thinking, directly imagine kids drinking e-liquid because whatever flavor.

I mean, sure, it need to have somes "more clear" indication because somes ppl can be... well... you know.
    But if you need to take down anything to protect ppl from their own stupidy.. we will not have much left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I find very little "protection from stupidity" in this culture, even as politicians trumpet it to the skies. Just saying. Protection from stupidity is probably the bottom of any regulator's list as far as "making something safe."

The list goes like this:
    Greed
    Lies
    Lie some more
    I don't like that someone is having fun without a tax on said fun
    Lobbying
    Special interest groups
    State tax and federal tax
    We don't "like it" so it's "unsafe"
    A jillion more reasons

Protect the children, but only a certain percentage, we rely on vaping for tax purposes.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Wooots

Wooots Full Member

Mar 25, 2018
    true xD ( saddly )

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. marianna

marianna Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Netherlands
    Even a war on food grade flavors?
    For baking products we need flavors like chocolate, caramel, honey, vanilla, strawberry, raspberry, banana, etc.

Otherwise we will have to make them ourselves.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.