How did you quit smoking cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA
I've heard a lot of people say they quit "accidentally" while testing out e-cigs. I wanna hear from people trying to quit smoking--or have quit smoking.
For me, it's taking some getting used to. I'm still smoking as usual, but I've noticed during times of chain smoking, if I make it a point to use my e-cig and have it ready, it's quite satisfying. Even just holding it my mouth helps cut down on cigs. As a result, all my carts have teeth marks! :D Though after a while, I get that "I need a REAL cigarette" feeling and cave in.

I wanna quit for real. I'd like to hear from anyone in this position.

While I'm at it--what is dripping? I see it referred to, but still uncerratin what it is exactly.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
If you're going to use vaping as a quitting tool, just try to do what I did. Make up your mind that you are going to quit and just do it it and vape. Deal with the cravings, they happen, but vaping is ENOUGH to make it happen and give you the will power. We get to puff and blow fake smoke and we get our nicotine. I mean what more can we ask for? It's NOT easy, but it's NOT as hard as anything else I've tried. Love it!

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
I smoke analogs and vap. I started out allowing myself 10 analogs a day. Found out I don't even need 10 a day. I am slowing needing less analogs everyday. I tried to vap only and couldn't do it. I am getting there,I just need more time than others.

I will not whip myself over this. I am taking one day at a time. I feel its a miracle for me to get this far. Everyone is amazed I can do this. My husband still smokes analogs. My co worker smoke around me. They are amazed that I sit and vap. So I will get there soon.
Dripping is droping two or three drops of e-liquid on the atomizer. It helps with vapor and taste.

Last edited:

skippy

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2009
Ft Lauderdale
I'm new to e-cigs...only been 6 days, but I'm not new to trying to quit smoking.. in fact I might hold the record. Tried everything from hypnosis to Chantix, nothing worked until now. I found that the e-cigs satisfed my urge to smoke that's what was missing in all my other attempts. I fully expected to wean myself off analogs gradually but surprisingly I just don't have the desire for them, in the past 6 days I have only had 4 analogs and find each one less and less satisfying. I found this to be my easiest attempt to quit yet..6 days and I have not become a homicidal maniac that is amazing.

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
Tried the ePuffer EAZE.... cut down by 1/2 for one day then batteries sh*t the bed! Another month on the anologs. Ordered and received the Vapor King... sat the entire day vaping away happily while looking at that stupid pack of Marb Menthols. Second day... gave away said pack of Marb Menthols.... been vaping the King for 4 days, 24mg Mint carts. Couldnt care less about cigarettes!
My best,
-VP

calligal

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
California
1st day vaping cut my analog use in half. After that I kept waiting for the magic to kick in but in the end I smoked 4 analogs a day until I was out. I was pretty concerned that my 1st day without analogs was going to be hell but here I am 17 days later still analog free. Even popped by my old cig store to let the owner know why he would not be seeing me around much. (Though he says he is going to get the e-cigs so I guess I will be stopping by again)

For me it was really about the committment and I have to say that it helps not having the smell of cigarettes and dirty ashtrays in the house.
It was kind of weird at 1st when I would think about having an analog while I was blowing vapor but that has passed.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
I used e-smoking exclusively for the first four weeks, but was still smoking 2-4 analogs per day. The e-smoking didn't quite take care of the cravings, but that could be due to the fact I was mixing my e-liquids at too low of a nicotine level.

My main nicotine source now is snus, while the e-smoking is fading into the background. This is day 6 without a cigarette and I do not miss it. The snus completely obliterates the desire to smoke analogs for me. Although I like e-smoking, it IS high maintenance. One must carry the cig itself, a backup battery, liquids, etc whenever one leaves the house. With snus, I carry a small tin of portions and that's it.

ejfan1977

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Kingston, Washington
First of all I was a pack a day smoker for 29+ years. I received my first e-cig the Njoy Ncig 84 days ago and I had just run out of analogs at the same time, so I thought lets just see what happens. I really hadn't planned on just quitting, I got it for the novelty and to just try it.

Yes, I am one of those who accidentally quit smoking analogs, but it was a conscious decision to not purchase another pack of smokes. I experimented just using the Ncig and found it completely satisfied my nicotine cravings and the physical aspects of the hand to mouth habit as well. :rolleyes: I also liked the fact that I didn't have to go outside to smoke. My husband is an anti-smoker and he is amazed that he can not smell it and can give me a kiss just after vaping and not taste it. I can even use it in the car when he is in it and it does not bother him at all.

Now I had been reading on the forum here that a regular analog was tasting awful to those who tried one after several days of just vaping, so curiosity got the best of me and after 5 days of vaping I bummed a smoke from a co-worker. I don't know exactly why, but it was one of the most awful tastes of a cigarette that I had ever tasted, I mean really awful after 4 drags, I tossed it and I haven't looked back since. :p

That awful taste of an analog sealed the deal for me as far as using e-cigs, as well as I feel great now! No more lung congestion, no smokers cough and no more stinky smell. Now I can really smell a smoker when they come around and it is not pleasant, they really do stink! No I am not becoming this huge anti-smoker, but I am sure to share my experiences with e-cigs with smokers I know and several are giving the e-cig a try. I am also sure to have back-ups to my back-ups so I don't ever have to go back. ;)

When you run out of analogs don't buy another pack. You can always vape more, it will be in your hand just like a security blanket for several days to a few weeks until you find your groove with it. Just try it! Good Luck! :thumbs:

Kool-less Ken

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Indiana
I did a lot of reading here while waiting for my Evo to ship from overseas, so I had a pretty good idea this might be a solution for leaving analogs behind. I didn't expect a miracle but I thought I had a real chance of making it happen.

I smoked my last analog approximately 30 hours after opening the package. That was 48 days ago. I am no longer a slave to tobacco smoke and I couldn't be happier about that.

I can see myself walking away from this eventually, but that will be another day. Even if that day is far in the future, vaping menthol juice with my ecig is still much "kooler" than smoking conventional cigarettes.

Unteathered

Mar 25, 2009
San Jose, CA
I quit analogs in February after smoking for over 25 years. E-cigs have also satisfied my cravings, but I vape more than I ever smoked. I like vaping in the car and when I am am in front of my laptop. It is a blast since I am not hopping around buying smokes and worrying about the smell and trying to get outside and sneak a smoke (my husband raises hell about smoking).

Gemini

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Birmingham
I bought my first e-cig from intellicig last October. I'd smoked for approx 28 years, 20 a day, sometimes more. I didn't think for one minute that my e-cig would make me quit "real" cigs, i thought i'd maybe use it for a couple of weeks then get the cravings back, how wrong was i :shock:. I had maybe 10 "real" cigs left and smoked them alternately with my e-cig til they were gone. I've been smoke free since then, no cravings, nothing. I'm quite chuffed too, because i tried and failed to quit 2 or 3 times and started back smoking within a couple of weeks, and here i am 6 months later with my e-cigs, i've got 3 now, best thing i've bought and done in years!!:D

I never smoked more than a pack a day in the decade or so that I've been smoking, but over the last year I've been cutting back as much as possible. Over the last six months, I got down to 5 analogs on a bad day, and on better days I was down to 3 in a day.

My last analog (and the last in the pack,) was about two hours before my Gamucci Elite showed up in the mail. A few hours later I ordered a Super Mini (RN4081) and have been using the samples that came in the box.

I started with the first High cartridge and it took three days to die. The second High cart I emptied out to try some Johnson Creek flavors a friend brought over. I'm running on the medium cart right now and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Low cart is like. I'll probably stay at Low (11mg) for a while. I'll pick a flavor (My friend just hooked me up with a sample of JC Tennessee Cured, but I may go with one of the chocolates,) and chill with that for a while before switching over to the 0mg.

That's my plan, hopefully it'll work.

skky

Apr 23, 2009
CT, USA
I actually went into the process with no plan. I just figured lets see what happens when I vape instead of smoke real cigs. I was able to last about 4 days without a real cig but then caved hard and had a real one. Is it true that it tastes horrible? Yep. Did I throw it out after 4 puffs? Yep. Did I miss smoking regular cigs? Yep. Did I understand or believe that other people loved esmoking so much they immediately quit? NO! I had a slew of conflicting emotions to say the least. I thought I was a failure for caving. I was sad to give up smoking (if you can believe it). I was confused as to what I had gotten myself into with electronic cigs. I just wanted to run back to the way things where. After all esmoking was different, strange, and new. I had to get adjusted.

So the next day came. I decided to have real cigs too at least until I was no longer bursting into a cold sweat or crying my eyes out thinking about real cigarettes! I decided I couldn't deal with so much pressure so I figured having about 2 or 3 real cigs a day along with ecigs would be good for me. That's what I did for about a week and a half until I just stopped smoking regular cigarettes. I hope I don't cave again, but if I do I wont beat myself up over it as hard as I did the first time I caved.

Oh and to let you know, I smoked 30 cigarettes per day for 15 years. In the last 8 months I was down to 6-8 cigarettes per day.

PS: I think there was something other than just the nicotine in cigs that were making me crave them like no other!!! As soon as I got over the killer cravings I was surprised to find myself only vaping 0mg or 4mg! I can go most of the day before needing ones with nicotine.... Interesting.

I hope you good luck and I hope what I've shared can help you or someone else battling with cigarettes. It was a real tough road for me, emotionally, physically, and psychologically but if you have the desire to change your life for the better I'm sure you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread