How did you quit smoking cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pangoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
NYC
For me, it was easy to stop smoking analogs once I got my e-cigs because vaping satisfied my nicotine cravings along with the ritual aspect of smoking. Once I got my first e-cig, I never touched another tobacco cigarette.

I thought it'd be harder to quit vaping (after 6 months of e-cigs only), but in order to try, I used up all my liquid without having a fresh supply on hand. I was sort of fiending for it after quitting, so I ordered one bottle of low nicotine and a few other bottles of flavored zero-nic liquids, but by the time that shipment arrived, it had been three days without vaping (and I didn't go back to analogs either). When the new flavors arrived, I tasted them just out of curiosity but they were absolutely nasty (I think zero-nic liquids in general don't taste as good as the low or higher flavored nicotine stuff). That in itself helped even further to make it easier for me to quit vaping. I then sold my e-cigs and all the liquid (including the low-nic stuff)
to a friend.

It's been 22 days and counting since I've been completely nicotine free...

Finster

Apr 17, 2009
heavy smoker here and been vaping and sliping in an analog when I need one but only like 6 a day and feeling pretty good my problem is finding the right juice I think just need a little better kick off the ecig and I'll be good but all in all I'm loving my 510 only have 2 batts and vaping hard so I need a few backups to keep up with me or a pcc anyway keep on vaping :evil:

Ahinch

Apr 3, 2009
Massachusetts
I think I may be the only one who still likes the taste of analogs, however I enjoy the taste of vaping better. I can't seem to totally break away from the analogs, but I have cut down drastically from 20/day to 2-3/day. I told myself that once this last pack was gone then no more and I was good with that until of course they were gone and then the craving was just so intense that what did I do? I bought another pack today on my way to work. I think for me it is physiological in that when they are not immediately available I want/need and analog more. I look at it this way at least I am not smoking a pack a day and for the last month that I have been vaping I have not smoked more that 4 in a day.

Texmac1011

Mar 27, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I went from 25-30 a day to 5-6 a day the day I received my e-cig (about 1 month ago) and have been holding right there. I want to quit, but take solace in the fact that I have cut down drastically and am saving a lot of money in the process (or will be after I cover my investment in e-cigs). Any prgress is better than no progress!

skky

Apr 23, 2009
CT, USA
To those who still smoke a couple of regular cigarettes: I think it's amazing that e-cigs cut down the amount of regular cigarettes consumed (drastically) even though e-cig devices never claim to help in smoking cessation!

PS: I too thought I still liked the taste of regular cigarettes, but if you actually can consume none (and just vape) for about 3-5 days in a row you might find the taste of a regular cigarette repulsive. I only found it gross after not smoking any regular cigarettes for 3 days.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
To those who still smoke a couple of regular cigarettes: I think it's amazing that e-cigs cut down the amount of regular cigarettes consumed (drastically) even though e-cig devices never claim to help in smoking cessation!

PS: I too thought I still liked the taste of regular cigarettes, but if you actually can consume none (and just vape) for about 3-5 days in a row you might find the taste of a regular cigarette repulsive. I only found it gross after not smoking any regular cigarettes for 3 days.
Yes, that's exactly what is being found on other forums (among others those in my country) too skky: try to stay of the analogs for 2 to 5 days, and then the real things get repulsive (and I find that having encountered this experience REALLY helped me to get rid of any still lingering thoughts now and then about those real ones: I can honestly remind myself 'well, you tried them, you found them a terrible taste... so why the heck try them ever again!') :D

I quit analogs for a variety of reasons. I married an asthmatic. As well, I was not making a surplus of money over day to day expenses. I wish I had the ecigs to go over to at the time, as I wasn't truly quitting for myself, but I can tell you the main thing that made the quitting easier to follow through with.

I spent every dime that I was putting into cartons on myself the first 3 months.
I bought cds / video games I had to ignore, took my wife out to eat and movies, etc, all from kings the pack - 2 pack a day shackles. After awhile i grew out of the need to treat myself as often, but I love my wife for letting me get through the nic fits with a little old school bribery.
As such, I am a ZeroNic here, so don't fear for a backpedal after 8 years free from nicotene.

skky

Apr 23, 2009
CT, USA
well, you tried them, you found them a terrible taste... so why the heck try them ever again! :D

Yeah. That helps me get through the tough times. I also try silly tricks with my head to say stuff like "Oh man smoking regular cigs is so old school". I know it's really silly but I'll try anything to avoid going back. Especially since it hasn't been that long since I've quit.

skky

Apr 23, 2009
CT, USA
I quit analogs for a variety of reasons. I married an asthmatic. As well, I was not making a surplus of money over day to day expenses. I wish I had the ecigs to go over to at the time, as I wasn't truly quitting for myself, but I can tell you the main thing that made the quitting easier to follow through with.

I spent every dime that I was putting into cartons on myself the first 3 months.
I bought cds / video games I had to ignore, took my wife out to eat and movies, etc, all from kings the pack - 2 pack a day shackles. After awhile i grew out of the need to treat myself as often, but I love my wife for letting me get through the nic fits with a little old school bribery.
As such, I am a ZeroNic here, so don't fear for a backpedal after 8 years free from nicotene.

That's what I'm doing AnimeFur. I've treated myself to new items and also started eating much healthier. As a matter of fact I've lost a couple of pounds from a few diet modifications. Primarily because I did not want to quit and then gain a ton of weight which sometimes happens.

lec666

Apr 9, 2009
somerville,ma
i was smoking 30 cigs a day for the last 25 yrs or so and my 3 daughters have
been nagging me for years to stop. my 15 yr old came home one day and told
me about the SE kiosk she saw at the mall. i did some research and bought
an 801 online after seeing igetcha's review on youtube.

the moment i saw the review i knew that this time would be the last time
i smoked cigarettes. i had a couple cigs the first and second days but none
since :cool:

John Rolex

Moved On
Aug 6, 2009
  • Deleted by PTJD
  • Reason: spamming
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread