Do PVs look like Other Things ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelagic

Mar 23, 2012
Canada
Have you ever had anyone think you were doing (other things) when you were vaping?

My partner is totally uninterested in getting an e-cig/PV that is not an analog-lookalike because he is convinced that everyone will think that it is some sort of paraphernalia, most likely a (edit) vaporizer (etc). I'm like, "But with an e-cig that looks like a cigarette people think you are smoking!" and he doesn't seem to see why this is a bad thing and says if he is vaping in a non-smoking area and someone comes up to him to tell him not to smoke he'll just tell them what it is. I would rather avoid that when possible because I think that once someone has it in their head that you are smoking then they will be less likely to be ok with you vaping. He is certain that everyone will automatically assume he is smoking (edit) if he uses a different style of PV. Personally, I think that here in BC Canada (edit) is actually more socially acceptable than cigarettes anyway and that the vaporizers that people use for that purpose are normally much larger and rarely seen in public (or even used in private that often here in BC for that matter). My bf only moved to Canada recently so he may have had a different experience or something.

What do you guys think? Is one of us being irrational? Should I just give up let him think what he wants and use whatever type of e-cig he wants? It does kind of affect me because we normally share all our vaping gear, spend a lot of time together, and vape in public together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pelagic

Mar 23, 2012
Canada
I don't see why my post was edited, I wasn't talking about using drugs, I was talking about not wanting anyone to think we were using drugs (which we never do and wouldn't want anyone to think we were, btw) - quite the opposite! Anyway, hopefully people can still understand it.

Thanks Retriever. I doubt I'd prove it to him because even if people don't say anything he will just think that people are thinking that in their heads. But I do think a slim stick e-cig in a non-cigarette colour will probably be a good compromise.

Also if anyone has had any experiences where someone did think your PV was "something else" (think another kind of vaporizer that), please share them :) I am willing to have my mind changed on this and it is possible that my bf isn't over-reacting.

misplacedsooner

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
stillwater, oklahoma
i dont think you should of been edited and im really wondering why you were. these are things we NEED to talk about and discuss openly. now if someoneis talking about doing drugs of use of a pv to somehow do so then yes, their post should be deleted and then at least a stiff warning. we dont tolorate use of drugs or accept it but your concerns in your post are legit and need to be talked about and not everyone will be able to understand what edit means. good post.

HowlingBadger

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2012
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
I agree with you. Something like a black or silver 510 would be a good compromise i think. A bit longer than a cigarette and obviously not white, but still the right shape to make him feel comfortable. And no, nobody has ever thought my PV was anything other than just that. Either they knew what it was or they had no clue, but they've never mistaken it for something else.

ambeck22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
This forum and post would show up on Google or Bing or whatever if a certain type of person typed in the edited word(s), and that's not what is discussed here, which said person might assume. I believe, even with edits, the point of your message was clear :). I, personally, don't care what people think as long as it's not a police officer. My whole family and friends know how I feel about that stuff and if people want to assume that in public, that's their problem, not mine. It's not like I'm babysitting their kids or anything, anyway. That's just me, though :p.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Something in the ego line is not likely to be mistaken for what you are refering too. Just using it openly goes a long way to alleviate that perception and it is a lot better not to be mistaken for a smoker. The other thing your boyrfriend is probably not thinking about is that if you are using it in a business, many people won't talk to you, they'll talk to the proprietor. As a courtesy to the business, it's best to avoid that possibility.

I've told this story many times but, it bears repeating. I usually ask before I vape in a restaurant. One time a manager told me he had a problem because a guy was vaping a kit that resembled a cigarette in the bar and other customers complained about the guy smoking. As I was using a homemade bottom feeding box, he didn't think it would be a problem but, he said, if it was, I'd have to stop. I thought that was reasonable and I vaped with no problem at all.

OTOH at home and on long trips I use a Buzz Pro with a DOD. It's a little cumbersome for out and about. I haven't had any trouble even with that set up from law enforcement but, once I did have a car full of young men pull up beside me and give me thumbs up. :) I thought it was hilarious. :D

It's the one in the right:

My_PVs.jpg

Bullwinkle

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
USA
Yeah, the censoring because of the search engine thing is a beatch but it makes sense concerning the highly political nature of PVs. Facts don't even come into the picture most of the time; it's whatever the mob can be stirred up to demand, right or wrong.

Personally, I thought some of the ones I use look like something else entirely different from what your partner thought. :ohmy:Fortunately I'm not shy and I would find such a mistake hilarious. :D

I think just the fact that you are using in public would be enough to make people realize that you're not doing anything scandalous. I think it would go something like this... is that person smoking a cigarette? Hmmmm, no, it's not a cigarette. I wonder what it is. At that point they would either walk away or if they were that worried about it, come up and ask. I mean really, how often do you see people using illegal substances out in the open? There would at least be some degree of hiding if you were in fact doing something illegal and I'm pretty sure the general public would realize that since you're NOT being even slightly secretive, it's not anything bad.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
......What do you guys think? Is one of us being irrational? Should I just give up let him think what he wants and use whatever type of e-cig he wants? It does kind of affect me because we normally share all our vaping gear, spend a lot of time together, and vape in public together.

He obviously doesn't have your common sense or self confidence to be different. He is too concerned what others think. And if we are ever going to wisely educate the uninformed about vaping, we need to move away from models that look like analogs and not use the term "cigarette" if at all possible. And stating that some people might think you are doing something else is just a cop-out. I vape in front of cops and deputies all the time and none of them think that.

I would tell him to grow some kahunas and stop being a wimp. But that probable won't work, so you will just have to live with his "image" insecurities.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i've had numerous incidents where people were asking if my pv was a pipe or (another type of) vaporizer, just because that's what it looks closer to them rather than your run of the mill convenience store pv. i didn't exactly find it difficult to correct misinterpretations, especially when most pvs don't really resemble (other) vaporizers. most people thought it was amusing i was using what they thought i was using in the open, and some people were just happy it didn't smell like (other stuff).
i choose my heath and to exercise my personal freedoms rather than worry what joe blow on the street figures i'm up to.

Last edited by a moderator:

misplacedsooner

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
stillwater, oklahoma
thank you for clarification classwife. i know i have been asked many times by individuals what my reo mini woodvil was with a big smile...and even looks of disgust. is there an area where this can be discussed on the forum where it wouldnt reflect on the site? i ask because i believe this is or will be a bridge we as vapers will need to cross more sooner than later and i agree, i dont want to be associated in a bad light that i may be doing something illegal.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
When people join this forum, they check off the box that they agree to the Rules.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/announcements-rules/51178-forum-rules.html
9.3 Discussion or mention of illegal/illicit drugs or sexual content.

Explaining the difference between your PV and the other item is no different than explaining the difference between a roll-your-own tobacco cigarette verses something else rolled up.

Thank you
c.

passerbyeus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2009
Kentucky
If you put anything up to your mouth and blow something out in public most all people will look, its just part of it, they will stare or just think your probably smoking a analog...:vapor: I have had 1 person in almost 3 years tell me I cant do that " here" he thought I was really smoking. BTW thanks for the great topic I have thought about it many times and I am sure others have also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread