Harmful effects of vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitKit

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Hampton Roads
Not sure where to put this thread. But does anybody know of anyone doing a study of the harmful effects of vapor? The reason I ask is the VA Dept of Health has stated that PVs fall under the ban until "they" can determine what the harmful effects of the vapor are. Last time I checked "they" can't rewrite the law for what they want. Does the FDA case have any thing to do with researching this or is it just to ban the sale of e-cigs?:confused:

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
Not sure where to put this thread. But does anybody know of anyone doing a study of the harmful effects of vapor? The reason I ask is the VA Dept of Health has stated that PVs fall under the ban until "they" can determine what the harmful effects of the vapor are. Last time I checked "they" can't rewrite the law for what they want. Does the FDA case have any thing to do with researching this or is it just to ban the sale of e-cigs?:confused:
It's a de-facto ban and is erroneous. After consulting with an attorney. I have been reassured that an individual at the health department writing a FAQ Is not a law maker. that the law on this is clear and that the FAQ is not legally binding. She went on to say that if an e-cig user is cited thatb the case would be laughed out of court. you have stopped by the mall and seen my kiosk. the ban took effect almost a week ago. I am puffing away in the middle of the mall as we speak. I have yet to be cited. It's not like what we are doing here is a secret. Although this may not make the owner of your favorite bar allow it. You don't have to worry about facing criminal charges for vaping in public. At least not unless the ban is ammended.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
FWIW, back before we had a smoking ban in Oklahoma, the State Health Dept decided to ban it themselves and went around issuing fines. The governor at the time put a stop to it, but then they started again and had to be sued. Shortly after the court ruling against the State Health Dept, our state legislature (and new governor) passed a ban on smoking in most publicly accessible workplaces.

Can read a little bit about it at Oklahoma Smokers The Smoking Ban
I've tried to google more info on the lawsuit bit and such, but failed.

And, on an aside - the law that did get passed allowed for restaurants to build smoking only rooms, with separate ventilation. Some went to the expense and did it. Now they're considering new legislation that would ban smoking in all restaurants and bars, which is a slap in the face to those businesses that spent tens of thousands of dollars on having a separate room. New legislation failed the first time around (earlier this year - 2009) but theyre saying theyre going to try again to get it passed. Oklahoma Lawmakers Consider More Comprehensive Smoking Ban - News digest - Public Health newsroom - Public Health - RWJF

Last edited:

oldlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Charleston, SC
Nazis....

Anyway, these state agencies have GOT to be stopped!

For crying out loud, what kind of a regulatory state are we becoming? The undereducated, underpaid bureaucrats employed by state and federal agencies are NOT elected. Therefore, they CANNOT be entrusted to make public policy - real or implied.

(Just for the record, I include myself in the aforementioned group.)

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
For crying out loud, what kind of a regulatory state are we becoming? The undereducated, underpaid bureaucrats employed by state and federal agencies are NOT elected. Therefore, they CANNOT be entrusted to make public policy - real or implied.

(Just for the record, I include myself in the aforementioned group.)

I'm with you on that. It's kind of Soviet, but without the ability to bribe your way around the petty bureaucratic rules.

When the state's power can be used arbitrarily at the ground-level by small-minded regulators, the country becomes a kakistocracy.

(One of my favorite words. kakistocracy = "Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens." I use it too much these days...)

I'm with you on that. It's kind of Soviet, but without the ability to bribe your way around the petty bureaucratic rules.

When the state's power can be used arbitrarily at the ground-level by small-minded regulators, the country becomes a kakistocracy.

(One of my favorite words. kakistocracy = "Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens." I use it too much these days...)

:lol: I have been getting this overwhelming feeling all day that this is what is happening to the U.S. I didn't realize there is a word for it. Thanks for that.

Didn't they make a movie that kinda talked about this? Ah yes, it was called Idiocracy.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
FWIW, back before we had a smoking ban in Oklahoma, the State Health Dept decided to ban it themselves and went around issuing fines. The governor at the time put a stop to it, but then they started again and had to be sued. Shortly after the court ruling against the State Health Dept, our state legislature (and new governor) passed a ban on smoking in most publicly accessible workplaces.

Can read a little bit about it at Oklahoma Smokers The Smoking Ban
I've tried to google more info on the lawsuit bit and such, but failed.

And, on an aside - the law that did get passed allowed for restaurants to build smoking only rooms, with separate ventilation. Some went to the expense and did it. Now they're considering new legislation that would ban smoking in all restaurants and bars, which is a slap in the face to those businesses that spent tens of thousands of dollars on having a separate room. New legislation failed the first time around (earlier this year - 2009) but theyre saying theyre going to try again to get it passed. Oklahoma Lawmakers Consider More Comprehensive Smoking Ban - News digest - Public Health newsroom - Public Health - RWJF

We actually have some common sense lawmakers here in Oklahoma, and I'm hoping that common sense will prevail in this department. You can bet that I have been and will continue to contact my representatives about this. I was actually very surprised when the smoking ban was passed, because I didn't think I would see it here in Oklahoma. Of course, I didn't foresee Brad Henry getting elected either, lol. I still highly doubt that anytime soon smoking will be banned in bars. Maybe it's just high hopes, but it's high hopes that will play a major part in who I vote for the next round of elections....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread