Status
Not open for further replies.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
From what I understand from your statement that is expected results. Once you go into mode change mode the + and - buttons will go forward and backward through the mode settings unless you hit the fire button or let it timeout. Until that happens you can't change the memory banks.
OK. That makes sense. I assumed mode change was only doable with - and round Robin! That's a different way to do it I guess! I can sleep knowing all is well!
Thanks

Reactions: JimScotty0

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well I took the plunge and tried a new coil just to see if I could duplicate the final results. A good vape and no weird things happening. I am using 28awg 3mm 7 wraps on Kanger STM KGD. I am doing a break in right now which I like to do on any coils so I am only running 13J at 380. Lots of flavor and lots of vapor so it is able to be duplicated. This coil I made a little lower in resistance and came out at .089. It is showing .08 on the main screen which I think only goes to 2 decimal places. This is great. Easy to build coil and it works great so far. My last coil which I had in 4 days heavy vaping 5 tankfuls wasn't even that gunked up, just a little. I am impressed with this device and want another. On soft mode. I figure after a while I will have to turn it up a little to get the same results but who knows.

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
sorry im late folks. I am using the prebuilt occ ni200 coils in the subtank mini. when cool and I mate I get about .12 usually. I am at 36j, 520f. it kicks it too 220f when fired for a couple seconds. it goes right to 220f and stays there. longer fire and it will go down more to like 180 after 4 seconds. getting this on new coils but they stay consistent until they die. I am using 100%vg. I have no idea why it will not work lower. if I set it to like 420 it will still back off to 220f but then there is nothing but a fizzle. is there actually a problem with it being this high? thank you for helping me guys.

That pre-built Kanger OCC coil should come in at 0.15 ohm. A lot of folks have expressed a similar situation and are saying the ST mini RBA is slightly longer connector where it screws into the base than the occ coil and they think that causes the issue. (connective issue) I use occ coils on a ST nano and it is fine... May just be the way the mini is made. Try 18 joules @ 430F....Hope this helps...

Reactions: nic_fix

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
That pre-built Kanger OCC coil should come in at 0.15 ohm. A lot of folks have expressed a similar situation and are saying the ST mini RBA is slightly longer connector where it screws into the base than the occ coil and they think that causes the issue. (connective issue) I use occ coils on a ST nano and it is fine... May just be the way the mini is made. Try 18 joules @ 430F....Hope this helps...
I think the prebuilt heads are a little longer because I have a 25mm the first one they came out with before the plus but when I saw the plus I thought maybe I could use the mini RBA head in the old one that is what they use in the plus but no go it didn't quite make the connection but you can use the prebuilt heads in either one.

Reactions: nic_fix

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
is the resistance lock a benefit or drawback? I do not know if that feature is superior or inferior to the dna40. I do wish I could vape it straight away.

I've not experienced any significant deviation in my builds so once I've set the resistance I can vape it for a few tanks / days without changing anything. So to me it's a benefit.

I've read numerous post of people with the DNA 40 report frustration with the need to continuously adjust the temperature or remove / replace the atomizer to detect it as a new one to compensate for the refinement. Which is most likely why they added the feature to lock it later on in different revisions of the DNA 40. So I guess it would depend on which version DNA 40 you had and if it would work good for you or not would be up to you. Personally if I had to adjust the SXmini M constantly that would definitely go on my cons list.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Dual coils is more complex and challenging to get right with TC. I bet when you find that sweet spot it will be a good vape but too much work for me. I will stick with the single coils with TC but maybe experiment with twisted wire or maybe even venture into the Kanthal/NI200 mix of 30 or 32ga of which I currently don't have.

Same here single coil is working great for me in Subtank Mini and working so well I don't even want to try duals. :)

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
I've not experienced any significant deviation in my builds so once I've set the resistance I can vape it for a few tanks / days without changing anything. So to me it's a benefit.

I've read numerous post of people with the DNA 40 report frustration with the need to continuously adjust the temperature or remove / replace the atomizer to detect it as a new one to compensate for the refinement. Which is most likely why they added the feature to lock it later on in different revisions of the DNA 40. So I guess it would depend on which version DNA 40 you had and if it would work good for you or not would be up to you. Personally if I had to adjust the SXmini M constantly that would definitely go on my cons list.

Vlad,

I don't think that Evolv added resistance lock just because YiHi had it. It drives some of us that have DNA40 boards without the lock nuts. Also even letting the DNA40 board and Mod cool down and stabilize sometimes would hold onto a bad reading. Anyway the lock is a good thing and like you once I configure the SX I can use it for days... weeks without fooling with it.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA

I would say it is a definate plus I had no luck with my rDNA40 with the chip that had the larger screen. Never did get a build to work right. I have checked my resistance in the morning with the SX and it is always the same as I started with or withing .002 of it pretty darned close. I wrote to Vapor Shark and asked what it is going to cost to upgrade to the new chip or firmware or whatever and as I told them it should be free since people had so much trouble with the old one. Haven't got a reply yet.

JRizCR2

Apr 8, 2015
Nic_

Why can't you vape it straight away? Just put the atty on and punch the buttons if it is a new atty or a rebuild and go.
im finding that there is very little difference (if any at all) when doing this versus wicking, juicing, filling tank/atty, waiting 10-15mins, and then setting resistance. my last build read 0.10 after setting resistance right after building the coil. waited 10 mins with tank on and filled with juice and set resistance again, it read 0.11. the build before that read no difference.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Well I took the plunge and tried a new coil just to see if I could duplicate the final results. A good vape and no weird things happening. I am using 28awg 3mm 7 wraps on Kanger STM KGD. I am doing a break in right now which I like to do on any coils so I am only running 13J at 380. Lots of flavor and lots of vapor so it is able to be duplicated. This coil I made a little lower in resistance and came out at .089. It is showing .08 on the main screen which I think only goes to 2 decimal places. This is great. Easy to build coil and it works great so far. My last coil which I had in 4 days heavy vaping 5 tankfuls wasn't even that gunked up, just a little. I am impressed with this device and want another. On soft mode. I figure after a while I will have to turn it up a little to get the same results but who knows.

That's actually about where I like it best so far. I went down to a .07Ω on this last build and have a couple tanks through almost but I think I like it up at .09Ω range a bit better personally.

Reactions: Fir3b1rd

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Yep that is what mine does also. I think I may try 6 wraps next time just to see how it is closer to .065. I can tell it is getting broken in now at 395 15J will go to what I vaped the other at for 4 days 410 and 18 to 22.5J depending the taste I wanted at the time. Incidently now Vapor Shark is selling the SX that might tell you something.

Reactions: dems86

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Vlad,

I don't think that Evolv added resistance lock just because YiHi had it. It drives some of us that have DNA40 boards without the lock nuts. Also even letting the DNA40 board and Mod cool down and stabilize sometimes would hold onto a bad reading. Anyway the lock is a good thing and like you once I configure the SX I can use it for days... weeks without fooling with it.

I wasn't meaning to imply they added due to any other manufacturer. I think they added it because of the frustration customer were having with the need to constantly adjust on it. But who know's it could have been in their long term project plan to implement from the beginning idk. :)

Reactions: 2legsshrt

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
That's actually about where I like it best so far. I went down to a .07Ω on this last build and have a couple tanks through almost but I think I like it up at .09Ω range a bit better personally.
Well if that is the case maybe I'll stay right where I am then. I would maybe like to try some 26awg but I am a happy camper now.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
im finding that there is very little difference (if any at all) when doing this versus wicking, juicing, filling tank/atty, waiting 10-15mins, and then setting resistance. my last build read 0.10 after setting resistance right after building the coil. waited 10 mins with tank on and filled with juice and set resistance again, it read 0.11. the build before that read no difference.

JRiz,

That is pretty much my experience also. I just assume that by the time I can complete a rebuild it has had more than enough time to stabilize.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
I wasn't meaning to imply they added due to any other manufacturer. I think they added it because of the frustration customer were having with the need to constantly adjust on it. But who know's it could have been in their long term project plan to implement from the beginning idk. :)

Vlad,

I am not sure why I replied the way I did maybe just to cut Evolv a little slack. I agree with you that they most likely did it because of complaints and possible because their Algorithm didn't work as smoothly as they had hoped.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
JRiz,

That is pretty much my experience also. I just assume that by the time I can complete a rebuild it has had more than enough time to stabilize.
You are probably correct and I may just be a little over cautious. The way to check that is to calibrate right after a build and putting the atty on and then use it for a while or not. Then let it sit for 15 mins and see if the calibration is the same. My guess is that it should be fairly close but I want to rewick soon so I will give that a try to see what I get.

Reactions: HolmanGT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread