SXmini M Class (TEMP CONTROL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Yes, they are spaced. I think I'm having issues with the connections. When I pair it, it pairs at .11 then I I'll try again in q bit and it's all over the place. I believe I'm just having issues building on the Lemo. I'm also building around a 3mm bit. Just trial and error I suppose! Thanks for the tips.
connection issues can be easy to resolve on the lamo. Wrap your coil legs around the post screws then tighten them down. Raise your coil like the stock one was then wick it.
also make sure they both are rested and same temp before pairng

derogg

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Socal
I think nickel builds just taste/vape different then kanthal. At least that is my observation. I can use then same liquid and it is maybe smoother using TC. I'm don't know if one is better then the other. It is taking some getting used to. Of course I still have no clue how to properly dial in my setups. I've tried all different joules and temps. I settle on what seems to give me the best experience, but I don't know if I'm using the device to it's maximum potential. No dry hits, so that's awesome enough!
:2c:Dirk

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I was thinking the same thing but if you look at what pbsaurdo does in his tests, it shows that in temp mode @ 50 joules, it powerful/powerful plus doesn't actually go higher. What he neglected to show it at a lower setting, because I believe it infact does boost the voltage up more at lower settings. Such as if set to 40 joules, it will boost it similar to 50 joules. I am not sure if its the same way in power mode at the 60 watt settings but I would think so. Basically if your running at 50 joules, standard seems to actually be the best settings giving you the highest amount of volts throughout. In powerful/powerful+ mode at 50 joules, it seems to be more like soft mode, where its actually lower/ then boosts up at 50 joules for whatever reason. That actually makes no sense why it does that to me, as at least they should of had it just work as standard mode in anything but soft @ 50 joules if its going to take a performance hit which is actually opposite of what it should do. I haven't seen it on the scope but my guess again is that it probably works correctly just like it does in power mode at settings lower than 50 joules. Just if you have it set to 50 joules, you should only use the soft if thats how u like it or standard.
I have had the exact same feelings about the Busardo video and believe many of the nice features of the M class in TC were not displayed due to the max 50J settings.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
seems to me that the standard mode hits harder than the powerful or powerfu+. I think Busardo saw this on the scope. Anyone else getting this??

I also just noticed that very occasionally, the + button will change mode rather than go to memory banks. After diaply sleep it goes away and works as normal..

I did a quick possibly slightly inaccurate test the other day at 20w I believe. This was done quickly and I wasn't paying a lot of attention to detail but what I came up with was.

Soft: -13%
Powerful: +13%
Powerful+: +18%

Apparently I've lost the spreadsheet I kept the information in so I might redo the test in the near future to be more thorough / accurate but that's what I recall.

As for you mode changing that sounds bizarre. I'd keep an eye on that and possibly report it to your vendor if it persists. I've never had mine switch modes at all with the exception of when I changed it.

Last edited:

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
kNXjl0z.jpg

Wrap came in yesterday. It looks good, but it changes the overall hand feel by adding edges where there were none before. Not sure if it's a keeper.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well call me crazy but I want to try a different coil in my Kanger STM. The one I have is tempered 29awg 7 wrap 3mm. Shows .1 on the SX showed .12 on my meter. I almost hate to take it off because it has been perfect for 4 days. Showed .1 when I put it in have run 5 tanks of juice through it and still shows .1 every morning. I want to try some regular NI200 28awg 8 wrap. Should be about the same resistance but want to see if another coil will work as well. If not I'll put another 29awg in. I already have it wrapped. I just want to know if it still works as well. Reason for the odd gauge Stealth was out of 28 when I got it. Do you think I'm crazy taking a perfectly good coil out and trying another?

Reactions: inspects

coustain

Verified Member
Nov 10, 2014
Fort Jackson, SC
The low resistance limit of the SXmini M Class is .05 ohms. I would say you're riding it too close to the edge for it to be reliable. Try putting an extra wrap or two on those coils and that should get you up high enough over the .05 limit that it fires every time.

I threw one more wrap on each side and now it's reading at .055, thanks for that! I was trying to hit .065 using the steam engine ohm calculator, but it appears to not quite be exact with these tanks, most likely due to operator error lol. I'm almost positive this is the sweet spot for this build on my Goblin. Dual 30G Ni200, 2mm ID, 7/6 Wrap, wicked with Cotton Bacon, I'm now firing at 30J and 415 Degrees F.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
As for you mode changing that sounds bizarre. I'd keep an eye on that and possibly report it to your vendor if it persists. I've never had mine switch modes at all with the exception of when I changed it.
Hi
Don't think I was clear. Try this
Hit - button to change mode (soft, standard etc)
Before hitting fire, hit + button as if you were going to different M bank.

On mine, the mode changes instead of going to M3 or whatever. Hit fire then + goes to M as usual.

Cheers
Steve

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Hi
Don't think I was clear. Try this
Hit - button to change mode (soft, standard etc)
Before hitting fire, hit + button as if you were going to different M bank.

On mine, the mode changes instead of going to M3 or whatever. Hit fire then + goes to M as usual.

Cheers
Steve

Oh I think I understand what your saying now. On mine once I hit the -button to change modes I can use the up + or down - button for about 5 seconds to choose which mode I want. Soft, Standard etc.. After about 5 sec if I hit the +button it will go directly into Memory bank selection. Mine works this way persistently so I think there's about a 5 sec timer built in to allow for switching whichever mode you want with either - or + after entering the mode selection.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
I am hitting the mode change every now and then too. I set it for soft and notice a stronger hit. Check atty and strong mode is there. I am sure I am advertantly hitting the mode button with my fingers. I am sure it's me but will keep an eye out.

Take care all

I've done that most often when firing with my index finger and my other fingers holding the bottom of the enclosure where the other switches are. I don't think I've ever done it when firing with my thumb and resting the switches toward my palm.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
Yes, they are spaced. I think I'm having issues with the connections. When I pair it, it pairs at .11 then I I'll try again in q bit and it's all over the place. I believe I'm just having issues building on the Lemo. I'm also building around a 3mm bit. Just trial and error I suppose! Thanks for the tips.
I built my new Lemo 2 on Friday night and it read .090. After letting it cool down yesterday and again this morning it was again .090 after heavy usage and no re-wicking yet. I find it to be rock solid for TC. The only thing I can think of in your case is you may either have a coil connection problem, touching wraps, or you are not letting the SX and tank settle down to ambient temperature for at least 15 mins before you calibrate.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I don't know, I find my nickel builds are muted on flavor a bit, but with a higher J, it gets better? I still want to figure what joules actually do when I adjust it. It shouldn't really matter right? Temp is what we're looking to control.
Find the temp that works for your build while your Joules setting is about 8J in standard mode, and then increase the Joules to keep it from not going too high from your temp and not go crazy bouncing around trying to maintain your temp.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I think nickel builds just taste/vape different then kanthal. At least that is my observation. I can use then same liquid and it is maybe smoother using TC. I'm don't know if one is better then the other. It is taking some getting used to. Of course I still have no clue how to properly dial in my setups. I've tried all different joules and temps. I settle on what seems to give me the best experience, but I don't know if I'm using the device to it's maximum potential. No dry hits, so that's awesome enough!
:2c:Dirk
I do find it to be able to get a cloudy and flavorful vape, but with much less heat. A cool vape which I am adjusting to since I was used to a warmer vape in the past. Playing around with the adjustments you can get it to warm up more when desired.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I have to agree with you derogg, I set it to what suits me, but like you, I don't know if it's optimal. But as long as I get a satisfying vape....I'm good!
Ultimately, that is all that really matters. :thumb:

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
Well call me crazy but I want to try a different coil in my Kanger STM. The one I have is tempered 29awg 7 wrap 3mm. Shows .1 on the SX showed .12 on my meter. I almost hate to take it off because it has been perfect for 4 days. Showed .1 when I put it in have run 5 tanks of juice through it and still shows .1 every morning. I want to try some regular NI200 28awg 8 wrap. Should be about the same resistance but want to see if another coil will work as well. If not I'll put another 29awg in. I already have it wrapped. I just want to know if it still works as well. Reason for the odd gauge Stealth was out of 28 when I got it. Do you think I'm crazy taking a perfectly good coil out and trying another?
No, it is just OCD. lol I am shooting for 28g NI2000 on 3mm with 5/6 wraps to bring down the resistance. I am finding the best control with the lower values. When using the pre-built Kanger coils I don't really have a choice and have to work with it due to the fixed values. It works well too, but different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread