Not open for further replies.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
It depends on how hard you use them and how well you treat them. Most of them are typically rated for 300-500 charge cycles (a charge cycle being from "dead" at 3 volts or under to full at 4.2 volts), though some are rated higher. If you often push them to their amp limit and charge them at the highest possible rate, then you'll shorten their life, but they will still last quite a while

When you notice that the usage time you get per charge is starting to drop, then it's time to start thinking about replacing them. That's one good indicator that they are getting tired

For some good information on batteries, read around in this forum: Batteries and Chargers | E-Cigarette Forum
Lots of juicy details in there

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
on that subject i have an eleaf 30 w. when the battery does go dead for good can i still use it plugged into the wall?
I would think not. What you are describing is "pass through ability". I'm pretty sure that there has to be a minimal battery charge left for pass through ability to work.

By the way, these internal rechargeable batteries in iSticks and MVPs are not safe chemistry batteries like the external IMR (or Li-Mn) batteries used in other mods. They are Li-Po batteries which are commonly used in remote control devices. Li-Po batteries can vent flames and/or explode when in thermal runaway.

Reactions: Ohm Gnome

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I have a stupid question, I have a variable volt battery (CTS--B TWIST 2200mah), I have a basic ego style USB charger, is there a setting on the battery that will allow for faster charging?? It has settings ranging from 3.2-4.8v

You don't want to fast charge your batteries, this stresses the cell needlessly, increases the chances of it venting, and overall shortens the life span.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
how long do 18650 batt's last before replacing them for good?

Hard Question to give a Definitive answer to.

Is it a 20 Amp Battery that you draw 18.5 Amps from it Constantly? Is it Fast Charged to 4.22 Volts. Do you Run the Battery down till the Mod Won't Fire? Do you Top it Off Regularly? Has it Ever been Dropped on a Hard Surface. Has it Ever gotten Really Cold? Or Really Hot? When was the Battery Manufactured vs. when did you Buy It?

If you want a Ball Park Figure, I can Throw one out there. 200 ~ 300 Charging Cycles.

But of course... YMMV

:)

Reactions: NancyR

Sothar

May 27, 2015
You don't want to fast charge your batteries, this stresses the cell needlessly, increases the chances of it venting, and overall shortens the life span.
so you are saying that it actually should be taking over 24 hours to charge that battery?? And that the dial on the bottom doesn't play a role in restricting incoming electrical current, to the point that say 4.8 might allow a faster charge than the 3.2 setting????

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
so you are saying that it actually should be taking over 24 hours to charge that battery?? And that the dial on the bottom doesn't play a role in restricting incoming electrical current, to the point that say 4.8 might allow a faster charge than the 3.2 setting????

No the dial at the bottom has nothing to do with how fast it will charge. As to how long it is taking to charge, sounds like you may be trying to charge it from the usb, which is not a good idea. Try getting a wall charger that is properly rated for the battery you are using.

Reactions: Baditude

Sothar

May 27, 2015
No the dial at the bottom has nothing to do with how fast it will charge. As to how long it is taking to charge, sounds like you may be trying to charge it from the usb, which is not a good idea. Try getting a wall charger that is properly rated for the battery you are using.
The place I get my stuff from only sells ego style wall chargers for these, idk....

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That much I did know, it adjusts the output, but I didn't know if that also adjusted the input resistance.
The voltage OUTPUT dial does not affect how fast the battery will charge.

It shouldn't take more than 3 - 4 hours to charge an eGo style battery. As others have said, you don't want to fast charge batteries for your own convenience. It's not good for the battery's health, and is not safe either. Ego batteries are LiPo in chemistry makeup, meaning that they are not safe chemistry. If the battery fails and goes into thermal runaway, it can vent in flames or explode.

Statistically, most battery incidents occur while they are charging. Therefore, its a good idea to charge them on a flame-resistant surface: ie stove top, baking pan, or pyrex dish. And never charge them when away from home or over-night while sleeping.

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Why? I honestly don't know, this is my first box style battery.

While this hasn't been much of an issue with 30 watt isitcks, the 50 watts ones have had some issue with auto firing, some think (no one knows for sure) that it is due to juice getting inside. It isn't something to be worried about and is not a reason to not use it but is something to be aware of, and is a simple matter of when you refill make sure there is no juice in thread area that might have the chance to get into the chip. Simply wiping it away with a paper towel will do it.

Actually it is good to be in the habit of doing that no matter the device you use, while most are sealed anymore so there is a lot less problems than the old unsealed batteries had, it is never good to give juice a chance to get into the battery area.

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread