Mechs vs. Regulated (subjective preferences)

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
Mechs and regulated mods have different uses for me. I use mechs for either subohm builds (.7 is the lowest I'm comfortable with) or my RTA and regulated mods with my Iclear 30's.
I also prefer to use a mech when it's raining. No electronics to get soaked. If water gets into my mechs, I can always take it apart and dry off the batt and tube. I can't do that with a regulated mod; I have to wait till it's bone dry if it rainwater gets into it.

Reactions: anavidfan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I use regulated and mechanical mods, bottom fed and non-BF, TP and non-TP. They all perform very well. Lately I find I don't squonk or use TP often, but I'm still split fairly evenly between regulated and mechanical. IMO there is much more difference between atty design and build than between the power supplies.

Regulated is safer though and I do keep that in mind.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I too use both for different reasons. I carry my kbox with ST around outta the house. I'm not really worried about it facing the elements. It's pretty well built. And I don't care to vape higher wattage than the 40 watts the mod allows, at least on the subtank. My rdas are a different story altogether. "I had to beat them to death with there own shoes." Sorry, Wayne's world quote.
I currently prefer to drip on mechs exclusively. What I carry around to my local B&Ms. There is something about mech mods that appeal to me more than most other mod style. Although, 1. I have preordered the SubOXes from Kanger, and
2. I've been building various coils lately and have been running down to .3 ohm. The mech hits like a train, especially with a full batt., with wattage pushing btw 55 and 60. I think I am getting to the point that I want to up the wattage and test out a Larger box mod that can provide 100+ watts. I told myself that I would never use a large box mod but so is the way of vaping. I must try it all!

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I'm a mech lover that's hooked on VW's.

Due to FT's low prices on RTA's I was able to get a large sample of data that's relevant to my situation. I was able to build a large number of tanks in different ways and use them with the same juice on different equipment and find what works for me.

For example my idea of heaven is an Orchid at .7Ω. Sounds simple but several factors go in and everyone can arrive at the same place by different roads. I find wire over 28ga hard to work with. So I don't use it. I like big fat coils packed with cotton because I do. So 26ga works well for me as I end up with two big fat 1.4Ω coils begging for a pillowcase full of cotton.

So now I have found the sweet spot for me. Short but intense pulls. Huge flavor in a 2-3 second blast.

But a mech can't heat those giant coils up in a length of time I care for. So mechs started losing favor with me.

So I start playing with my little tootle puffer iStick. Hey don't the watts go over 15?? Why yes they do. 30w heats them fat coils up nice but battery life isn't good. Then comes the IPV with swappable batteries. Then the IPV4 with dual batteries. And about 35w.

And since then my mechs haven't been feeling the love. Thinner wire heats faster but is harder for me to work with, doesn't last as long and seems to burn sometimes. So a good vape is possible but not perfect.

But a IPV4 gives me that instant massive cool vape I live for and the batteries last for days.

Around the house mech still get some love. With a Taifun I can mix flavors in the tank so they get some use. But even the Taifun benefits from more watts. So I'm noticing that unless I stop and remember to grab a mech I always reach for a VW.

I also can't pretend I miss mechs locking systems. Before they seemed natural to me. Now they seem ......ed.

Now if this government stuff goes down I'm prepared but for now while we are in what I consider the vaping salad days I plan to take full advantage of the choices we have. Its kinda like if we had to go back to using horses I'd use a horse. But for now I'ma just gonna keep using by pickumup truck.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Well, I got the Provari P3 Stealth and so far its very nice. Not mind blowing (or throat) Im a wimp and lazy so its set at 4.1V. It doesnt make my vapor taste better, doesnt make larger clouds. Its not a show stopper, but its real nice.

I can see this for out and about. Since its consistent I dont have to worry about adjusting the juice flow as battery wears. Its not flashy so it wont attract a lot of attention.

I can see the use for both. I love my Mechs, and we will see if I end up loving this Pro. I like it in 500 and 350 mode. I like the weight and width. For me the 20W is more than fine.

It does perform so much smoother and consistent than the Kick or Kick2. For some reason the Kicks work great on my Saber Touchs, but spassy on my mechs. On some of my mechs, especially when I had the ELA, it would give off a high pitched whine. Made me nervous.

So it is what it is. We have so many choices to suit our needs and aesthetic tastes.

One more thing, now remember I am an older woman with lots of problems with my hands, its not overly heavy. Might be in 18650 mode, but the button and ergonomics is very nice on the hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread