Mechs vs. Regulated (subjective preferences)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmwalker24

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Little Elm, TX
A little background first to clarify what I'm getting at...

Like most I started with cigalikes and ego style batteries. Eventually, getting into rebuilding (kayfuns mostly) got me wanting something more substantial. First regulated device was an MVP V2. First Mech was a Panzer clone. Keep in mind this is all long before sub-ohm vaping was a thing you could go buy replacement coils for. Currently my lineup is a Nemesis, and two isticks 20w and 50w.

For obvious ohm's law reasons, the sub-ohm stuff works fine on either a mech or a VV/VW device. There's definitely more ability to fine tune the experience with the regulated mod. So why then do I find that more often I'm grabbing the Nemesis? I'm not even really sure how to articulate why I prefer it. Something about it seems more smooth, analog, real. Is this the result of no PWM (pulse width modulation) or other methods a chip uses to play "nanny state" to my vaping experience???

Anything built to higher ohm loads (1.3 - 1.5) goes right on the 20w, again for obvious reasons. I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same natural inclination to either mechs or regulated devices. To be clear it's not that the experience is bad or that I'm having any particular issue when not using a mech. It's just a more satisfying vape when I do. Maybe it's entirely psychological, but it feels like 'free range' as opposed to domesticated electrons. I'm eager to see what the denizens of ECF have to say on the subject!

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Crikey, this discussion again?

Its always nice to talk about things that bang around ones head. So far unlike other threads its staying really civilized and no one has put down those with their own tastes.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I use regulated and mechanical mods, bottom fed and non-BF, TP and non-TP. They all perform very well. Lately I find I don't squonk or use TP often, but I'm still split fairly evenly between regulated and mechanical. IMO there is much more difference between atty design and build than between the power supplies.

Regulated is safer though and I do keep that in mind.

dmwalker24

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Little Elm, TX
It's very interesting to me to see all the different points of view. I should have said originally... Either way you happen to go on this question, as long as you're happy, that's all that really matters. I'm certainly not advocating the superiority of either. It's just that I didn't really understand my own preference.

Most of the time I'm not one for cranking up the wattage. The only real exception to that would be my subtank but I'm perfectly happy vaping that in the 20 - 25 range. There's a huge gap between the cloud crowd vaping at 70+ watts (imo completely unpleasant), and the tootlepuffers perfectly content with tiny wisps of vapor from a 2+ ohm clearo (completely unsatisfying). One end of that spectrum would call my little Lemo build 'wimpy', and the other would probably react as though they'd been pepper sprayed.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I definitely got what you meant to say. I think its all depending on ones personal tastes.

Just like smoking was, some liked cigars, pipes or cigarettes. I tried pipes because I loved the fragrance and taste, but it was like dripping to me. It was good, but when I wanted to really smoke, it was too much work.

Im not a tootle, but Im also not an extremist. I like clouds , but most of the time clouds mean low resistance and my throat hurts. Listen to your body and do what you need to stay satisfied that keeps you off the cigarettes.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
I started on provaris, after awhile picked up a mechanical, Just GG and GGTS, just to try, thought they were nice but didn't use them much. With regulated I vaped about 9 watts. After 2 and half years wanted something different and now only use a reo mod and bottom fed atty, at about 1 ohm, around 18 watts. Works great, more compact, easy to use and easy to repair if issues come up. If I put in a fresh bat before work, the next day before work I switch batteries and it is usually around 3.7 volts give or take, works for me.

I actually need to put stuff in the classfieds, provari, just gg and some gg atomizers, sometime because I am pretty content now.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I find myself using my attys on both my mechanicals and VW. I prefer to take the VW boxes when I'm going to be leaving home for more than a few hours or going to work. I like to use my mechanicals when I'm home because I know they'll stay clean and sitting safely on a table, but if I'm out for an hour or less I'll take it with me depending on how I feel.

I also like to make sure my resistances/coils will work well with a mechanical regardless if I want to use it on a VW. Consequently I usually set my wattage depending on the resistance to around 4.0-4.2volts on my VW.

Good take on thread topic instead of "use VW or mechanical only" thread.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I too use both for different reasons. I carry my kbox with ST around outta the house. I'm not really worried about it facing the elements. It's pretty well built. And I don't care to vape higher wattage than the 40 watts the mod allows, at least on the subtank. My rdas are a different story altogether. "I had to beat them to death with there own shoes." Sorry, Wayne's world quote.
I currently prefer to drip on mechs exclusively. What I carry around to my local B&Ms. There is something about mech mods that appeal to me more than most other mod style. Although, 1. I have preordered the SubOXes from Kanger, and
2. I've been building various coils lately and have been running down to .3 ohm. The mech hits like a train, especially with a full batt., with wattage pushing btw 55 and 60. I think I am getting to the point that I want to up the wattage and test out a Larger box mod that can provide 100+ watts. I told myself that I would never use a large box mod but so is the way of vaping. I must try it all!

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I'm a mech lover that's hooked on VW's.

Due to FT's low prices on RTA's I was able to get a large sample of data that's relevant to my situation. I was able to build a large number of tanks in different ways and use them with the same juice on different equipment and find what works for me.

For example my idea of heaven is an Orchid at .7Ω. Sounds simple but several factors go in and everyone can arrive at the same place by different roads. I find wire over 28ga hard to work with. So I don't use it. I like big fat coils packed with cotton because I do. So 26ga works well for me as I end up with two big fat 1.4Ω coils begging for a pillowcase full of cotton.

So now I have found the sweet spot for me. Short but intense pulls. Huge flavor in a 2-3 second blast.

But a mech can't heat those giant coils up in a length of time I care for. So mechs started losing favor with me.

So I start playing with my little tootle puffer iStick. Hey don't the watts go over 15?? Why yes they do. 30w heats them fat coils up nice but battery life isn't good. Then comes the IPV with swappable batteries. Then the IPV4 with dual batteries. And about 35w.

And since then my mechs haven't been feeling the love. Thinner wire heats faster but is harder for me to work with, doesn't last as long and seems to burn sometimes. So a good vape is possible but not perfect.

But a IPV4 gives me that instant massive cool vape I live for and the batteries last for days.

Around the house mech still get some love. With a Taifun I can mix flavors in the tank so they get some use. But even the Taifun benefits from more watts. So I'm noticing that unless I stop and remember to grab a mech I always reach for a VW.

I also can't pretend I miss mechs locking systems. Before they seemed natural to me. Now they seem ......ed.

Now if this government stuff goes down I'm prepared but for now while we are in what I consider the vaping salad days I plan to take full advantage of the choices we have. Its kinda like if we had to go back to using horses I'd use a horse. But for now I'ma just gonna keep using by pickumup truck.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have felt the same. Although I have never had a true reg MOD, have a couple of kicks ( 1 & 2) and I also end up taking it off after a few puffs.

I dont know if its because I dont really vape extreme. 1.0- 1.3 depending on liquid, type of atty. I dont feel the decline in performance really until it hits 3.7V sometimes depending on build under 3.0. I have on occassion even unintentionally used the battery down 2.5?

I know a kick does not work as smooth, at least thats what I found. Kicks can be so twitchy depending on MOD. Works fine on my Saber Touch kicked, but on all of my others seems a bit rough?

I got a Mark Bugs WAE, seemed nice, but too long , too slim. I am expecting something that I said I would never.... ITs a reg VV/VW and we shall see how it fairs. Im tough to please. I dont need lots of power as I rarely set the kick to higher than 8-9 watts.

I love my mechs, and yes it does seem more "natural"

Reactions: roxynoodle

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
With me, if I'm vaping something like a Nautilus, there's really no reason to get a high wattage box mod. A Nautilus on a mech mod (nemesis, eww) was my first 'legit' setup past the ego style batteries & tanks. It hit extremely well and I have no qualms with it.

Nowadays, I'm into building coils and sub tanks, and aside from using rebuildables in cloud competitions, I haven't turned back from regulated box mods. It gives much more flavor than on a mech mod, and they're much safer. But around the 1 ohm range, a mech mod with a decent battery is perfect.

Reactions: anavidfan

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I have and use both about 50/50. Love both and will continue using both :)

Mechs, VV, VW, temperature control. Whatever I feel like any given day. Lately it's been temperature regulated RTAs for the most part, but right now I'm using a mech with a bog standard Aerotank. It seems to be the best match for this particular juice.

Of course I could have put the tank on a regulated mod, and would probably have an extremely similar vape, but the mech works fine, is smaller, and looks better, so I don't see a reason to.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I absolutely hate bottom buttons...I mean I just can't seem to figure out how to push those things. I do have an e-pipe with a top button that I use once in a while. I absolutely hate box shapes...just don't seem natural. So it's round regulated devices with side buttons for me. It's more of a form over function thingy.

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
Mechs and regulated mods have different uses for me. I use mechs for either subohm builds (.7 is the lowest I'm comfortable with) or my RTA and regulated mods with my Iclear 30's.
I also prefer to use a mech when it's raining. No electronics to get soaked. If water gets into my mechs, I can always take it apart and dry off the batt and tube. I can't do that with a regulated mod; I have to wait till it's bone dry if it rainwater gets into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread