Status
Not open for further replies.

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
I cannot build the Tobeco Orchid v4 without it leaking out of the air holes. No matter what I do, it leaks like a sieve, causing me to waste my juice.
I made sure the coils were seated directly over the air holes. I have plenty of cotton to wick the coils. But when I filled the tank, the juice leaks--no, it pours from the air holes and the draw is very airy (which I don't like).

mr.fabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Southern Cal
I cannot build the Tobeco Orchid v4 without it leaking out of the air holes. No matter what I do, it leaks like a sieve, causing me to waste my juice.
I made sure the coils were seated directly over the air holes. I have plenty of cotton to wick the coils. But when I filled the tank, the juice leaks--no, it pours from the air holes and the draw is very airy (which I don't like).

If it leaks all the time, check all three of your o-rings. Make sure they are seated properly or just change them with your spares. If the tank stil leaks and the tank is airtight, then it's your wicking causing the problem.

Reactions: Mad Scientist

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
Are you top or bottom filling?

Is it only leaking after filling or all the time?
I'm filling from the top now because I don't have either a syringe or a needle filler to bottom fill. I filled from the bottom--before I lost my needle cap--and still I got leaks galore.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Do a vacuum test first. Plug airholes with your fingers and suck hard on the drip tip. If you get a bit of air, replace your o rings. If it has vacuum, then:

1. Its the wicking, or

2. Fill method. To to fill, plug airholes with your fingers. Fill. Screw on top cap and flip atty as you do that last half turn. Let go of airholes and hold inverted for 20s. Then turn it back over and should be good to go.

BeerGolfClouds

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Orange County, CA, USA
I leave the juice channels uncovered, with just a small bit of wick on the deck, and my Orchid does not leak. I also use anywhere from 80% to 100% VG juices. Maybe, if all else fails, try upping your VG ratio to produce thicker juice. The Orchid can handle it without dry hits if you wick properly.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
An atty with no air leaks up top will not leak like a sieve even without any wick installed. Big leaks come from 2 sources: 1. air leak in the top end; 2. Leak from siphon effect of wicks touching air holes. You need to eliminate the 2 possible sources of the leak.

I'd fill it with water and turn it upside down. Look for seepage. You will find the source of the air leak -- it's there.

Reactions: mr.fabe

genelbc

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2015
columbia sc
An atty with no air leaks up top will not leak like a sieve even without any wick installed. Big leaks come from 2 sources: 1. air leak in the top end; 2. Leak from siphon effect of wicks touching air holes. You need to eliminate the 2 possible sources of the leak.

I'd fill it with water and turn it upside down. Look for seepage. You will find the source of the air leak -- it's there.

Mine will leak after filling. No air leaks what so ever. And i mean none. It stops only when the proper vacuum in the tank is achieved. Therefor it will leak like a sieve with no air leaks. No offense... just saying

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Mine will leak after filling. No air leaks what so ever. And i mean none. It stops only when the proper vacuum in the tank is achieved. Therefor it will leak like a sieve with no air leaks. No offense... just saying

How do you fill? If you're talking about top fill, your chamber will fill with juice as you fill it and yeah until you close the giant air leak of no top cap. If it leaks like that after a bottom fill, something is wrong.

genelbc

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2015
columbia sc
How do you fill? If you're talking about top fill, your chamber will fill with juice as you fill it and yeah until you close the giant air leak of no top cap. If it leaks like that after a bottom fill, something is wrong.

I only bottom fill. And it will leak until its hit a few times. Then no more leaks until its filled again. Thats just how it works. When you bottom fill you build pressure in the tank and it has to equalize and build a vacuum to stop leaking.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I only bottom fill. And it will leak until its hit a few times. Then no more leaks until its filled again. Thats just how it works. When you bottom fill you build pressure in the tank and it has to equalize and build a vacuum to stop leaking.

I believe you of course but that has never happened to me. When I bottom fill, pressure in the tank from the displaced air vents through the juice channels out the chimney and drip tip to the atmosphere.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Chimney tube and o-ring contact were the biggest problems with my FT clones. A bit of plastic tubing in/on the chimney tube works for some. I put some in my narrow-bore driptips to solve the problem. Just depends on what size of tubing is available for you. Hearing-aid tubing for me. Another fix is an extra o-ring at the tip of the chimney.

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
My tobeco clone will leak a little after bottom filling. I just blow through the drip tip with it upside down to clear the deck. As mentioned earlier your forcing juice in the tank and it has no where to go but up the juice channel and to the deck. I've tried different fill methods but always had a little leak after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread