Hcigar VT 40 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsub

Verified Member
Nov 5, 2013
Sorry to hear that, not sure if you have sent it back if you look at the bottom of the mod where the battery cap is you will see a screw this is the GND chassis screw make sure this is tight and hasn't worked loose in transit.

Here you can see on the right hand board at the bottom you will see a silver connection extending from the board this is the GND connection.
3bb637212f8a04e15205a15df319719d.jpg

Here you can see the GND chassis grub screw top right of the C chassis.
f2cc1be4dc5175fd08b88a0d0213fa48.jpg

Its pretty much the same as all C frame mods I have seen. Great design by hcigar there are only 2 connections to the board + and Atty out. There using a daughter board like the RDNA.

Adjusted the screen position all good now
c578bf8f82838f760e2bde9ecb2af5fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's difficult to put in correct position the screen ?

Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I'm wondering about the finish on this. It looks as though it has a rubberized grip.

That's what I was thinking. But I was watching a reviewer rub their finger back and forth across it (Mark Todd?) amd it sounded like brushed metal. I would prefer a rubberized grip myself.

I'm like 2-3 hours away from taking money out of the wallet and paying for this. But just want to find out if this DNA 40 device could perhaps be different from other devices? I've got some wishful thinking that they've used really good wiring to actually improve the quality of the vape. Or am I just deluding myself? (I've actually tried two seperate DNA 40 devices - One a modded device and the other was the large screen RdNA. Both some wattage...and both two different worlds due to wiring). Would appreciate some thoughts or comments on this.

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 27, 2014
    Center of Texas
    I'm like 2-3 hours away from taking money out of the wallet and paying for this. But just want to find out if this DNA 40 device could perhaps be different from other devices? I've got some wishful thinking that they've used really good wiring to actually improve the quality of the vape. Or am I just deluding myself? (I've actually tried two seperate DNA 40 devices - One a modded device and the other was the large screen RdNA. Both some wattage...and both two different worlds due to wiring). Would appreciate some thoughts or comments on this.

A DNA 40 is a DNA 40. The VS rDna is a well built box and works very well their solder work is excelent and they use the correct gage wire to do the job right I loved mine. Not sure what your talking about as far as modded device, was something done to the chip was the power source different somehow? The one I built and sold worked as well as my rDNA the difference being my fire and up and down buttons were in a different location. Both were identical in function. Your differences in vape might be coming from your builds. There's a little learning curve with ni. It took me a few times to start getting a consistent vape out of my rta's and rda's. Some pre made ni coils for sub ohm tanks are having issues also. I bought 2, 5packs of Kanger ni's and each was a little different never did get the same experience. Out of 10 I think there were 2 good ones. Research this one well. Yes they used an Evolv chip, but is there a solid connection at the 510, is it grounded well, is the 510 quality or cheap junk.

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2015
    Steeler Country
    No its not rubberised. I think its anodized aluminium and is very nicely done.
    Awesome! Thanks Insane! This putts this item a lot closer to my hands now. I saw Todd's review and he glowed about it. I just saw a PBusardo vid that he states he is reviewing this next. He seems to give it a thumbs up.

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 7, 2013
    UK
    Just some feedback after owning the mod for 2 weeks, the chassis is painted not anodised how well it will hold up is still unknown, but there is pretty much a ongoing fiasco with mod coatings. And really only a few companies could offer a cerakote coating the US possibly being the cheapest someone like VaporShark instead they have that crap rubberised coating don't even start me on how crap it is. I have read so many times how its better now my conclusion lies and more lies! Owned 4 rDNAs all crap and repaired about a dozen all had coating issues so if its bad luck from 12 different people we must have bad luck?!#?!

I have no brand bias I simply don't care who makes the mod its only how good IMO the mod is and I would take a VT in a heartbeat over a rDNA, the rDNA does have wireless and 2A charging but the minuses outweigh the pluses;)

The screen positioning is out on the VTs so you need to mod the screen cradle and reaffix it simple job. If you are handy with a knife. The VT seems to be more consistent at reading resistances but this maybe due to the stronger spring in the 510 or the V5 DNA40 its definitely better than the V4 in the rDNA but the 510 is recessed and given problems in half the rDNAs I have seen.

The battery cap is an issue for some people but I only use USB charging as I am lazy and have had 3 SXMinis so for me its not an issue the SXMini is easier as I never use a coin given the positive connection is sprung so you can push and turn once you work the threads. The VT has a fixed positive pin so all adjustments and variation in battery length are made with the battery cap.

No issues with the button placements and to quote Mark Todd if you press the up/down buttons instead of the fire button you are an 'Idiot' ;) the switches look good for 100K so no real issues there .

The flush 510 is a pain but that's my opinion as you will have at least one Atty that will scratch the top of the mod but such is life a raised 510 would ruin the aesthetics and vapers are all about the looks these days.

Mark Todd commented on the mod having no soul I would probably kill all his family to get the artisan handmade and pricey mod he gets for review every week! ;)

It's fairly light but good in the hand as a left hander all C frame mods work for me and compared to a M Class its a feather.

Its 500mAh charging so a Samsung 30Q can take a few hours to complete a charge cycle.

Easy one of the best DNA mods I have owned and i have had a few ;) its small enough to carry around still bigger than a Cloupor mini or Hana mini for example but I find the CM too small and the 72mm high Hana mini is a right handed mod and unless you mod it has a crappy fire button and or a lipo/18500.

Last edited:

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2015
    Steeler Country
    Just some feedback after owning the mod for 2 weeks, the chassis is painted not anodised how well it will hold up is still unknown, but there is pretty much a ongoing fiasco with mod coatings. And really only a few companies could offer a cerakote coating the US possibly being the cheapest someone like VaporShark instead they have that crap rubberised coating don't even start me on how crap it is. I have read so many times how its better my conclusion lies and more lies! Owned 4 rDNAs all crap and repaired about a dozen all had coating issues so if its bad luck from 12 different people we must have bad luck?!#?!

I have no brand bias I simply don't care who makes the mod its only how good IMO the mod is and I would take a VT in a heartbeat over a rDNA, the rDNA does have wireless and 2A charging but the minuses outweigh the pluses;)

The screen positioning is out on the VTs so you need to mod the screen cradle and reaffix it simple job. If you are handy with a knife. The VT seems to be more consistent at reading resistances but this maybe due to the stronger spring in the 510 or the V5 DNA40 its definitely better than the V4 in the rDNA but the 510 is recessed and given problems in half the rDNAs I have seen.

The battery cap is an issue for some people but I only use USB charging as I am lazy and have had 3 SXMinis so for me its not an issue the SXMini is easier as I never use a coin given the positive connection is sprung so you can push and turn once you work the threads. The VT has a fixed positive pin so all adjustments and variation in battery length is made with the battery cap.

No issues with the button placements and to quote Mark Todd if you press the up/down buttons instead of the fire button you are an 'Idiot' ;) the switches look good for 100K so no real issues there .

The flush 510 is a pain but that's my opinion as you will have at least one Atty that will scratch the top of the mod but such is life a raised 510 would ruin the aesthetics and vapers are all about the looks these days.

Mark Todd commented on the mod having no soul I would probably kill all his family to get the artisan handmade and pricey mod he gets for review every week! ;)

It's fairly light but good in the hand as a left hander all C frame mods work for me and compared to a M Class its a feather.

Its 500mAh charging so a Samsung 30Q can take a few hours to complete a charge cycle.

Easy one of the best DNA mods I have owned and i have had a few ;) its small enough to carry around still bigger than a Cloupor mini or Hana mini for example but I find the CM too small and the 72mm high Hana mini is a right handed mod and unless you mod it has a crappy fire button and or a lipo/18500.
    I completely agree with you on those rubberized coatings. They are CRAP! They make it hard to pocket and cause drops when removing from the pocket due to "grabbing" the inner pocket. They wear down and peal like they have sunburn and then it's hard to remove the remainder to make it smooth. Then your mod ends up looking like it has leperosy. As for the flush 510, I like having that. I had one mod that did not have a flush mount and the first time I dropped it, my atty broke off at the threads. I couldn't get the threads out or the 510 connector without destroying the mod so....there went that mod and atty. when the atty is flush mounted, there is more support to the base and I never had a flush mount break at the atty threads. I have to admit, I'm not sure what you meant by "the screen positioning is out." Does it not line up properly? Thanks for the review.

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2015
    Steeler Country
    Fair point on the flush 510 I don't drop my mods except in the river!

Yes all the pics I have seen the screen is off so Hcigar may fix that? for the OCD.;)

Paint is still as new unlike the M Class that cost 70% more ;)

e23727032f1281006a77c61e864ccc7c.jpg
    4cef8de2a3d32b370338f5b7702b4377.jpg
    d88fa0bad6aa2cfd20a3d93b96c70cdc.jpg

For some reason every time I set my mod down my mother-in-law tracks it down and knocks it over. Lol. I see what you mean with the screen. Slightly askew. That could drive me nuts! Lol.

Reactions: ZeroOhm

peterforpats

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 3, 2013
    rounding third and heading home...
    well i have had my black vt40 for a few days now and i can say it has become my favorite mod among the many i own-yes, it feels better than my sx mini and sofar i have had zero issues. this latest version of the dna40 seems to work flawlessly- makes sense since it probably will be the last version(v5) as evolv moves on to the dna200. guess i will wait until they have the dna200 v5 before taking a stab at one of those(yes, i know it is user upgradeable). as far as the coating- it feels rubberized in my hand but not like the ipv4-it feels smoother and it certainly hasn't gotten hung up in my pocket at all. if it is painted then it is a different paint than i have felt before- it feels like a smooth rubberized coating and it just works(so far). the large screen is great and i haven't even noticed that is not centered perfectly- guess it doesn't bother me as much as it does for some others here. all i really care about is comfort and vaping quality- in those two areas it shines and for $143(vapordna with discount for their subscription) it is absolutely worth every penny. easy to navigate and stellar performance = a big win in my book. i never thought i would put down my sx mini(both m and s class) but this is the mod that has convinced me that evolv is as good(and better) than the yihi 350j. fact is they both are good but the vt40 is just a better package for my hand and vaping style...of course, YMMV....now just waiting on that ipv d2 any day now.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread