Nicotine shelf life and other matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
In the refrigerator no loss in mg strength over 4 months is very good. But no information on actual oxidation amounts over time (Tanning). They just kind of lumped MG loss and oxidation into one category. This was also tested at 35mg. I think the standard should be 100mg as the higher the mg the faster it oxidizes.
It looks counterintuitive.
Amount of oxidation is determined (I believe) by amount of oxygen which have found its way into solution. And it does not depend on concentration of nicotine. In the same bottle in the same conditions the same amount of oxygen will enter the liquid. It will oxidize the same amount of nicotine. But in stronger solution we have more nicotine, and proportion of oxidized nicotine will be lower. So, it looks like lower concentration of nicotine are more prone to oxidation.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Oxidation is caused by the introduction of heat, light, air and water (Moisture, condensation).

Perhaps a Better Question I should have asked is...

At Room Temperature, with No Light and No Oxygen in the Headspace of a Container, can Nicotine Oxidize if it is in a PG or VG or PG/VG Solution?

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Yes, as I previously posted, then there will always be disolved O2 in vg and pg. That's why e.g. freezing is a nice thing not only because of the coldness but also the fact that the liquid thickens(greatly with unthinned vg), which means that the disolved O2 and nic molecules will not as easilly meet eachother and react i.e. oxidice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread