Status
Not open for further replies.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Simply put, I think we need to find a way to provide context when discussing ejuice- especially when recommending something.

I was reminded of this when trying some of my favorite flavors that I got adjusted. Changing the VG/PG ratio in even the slightest way, lowering the nicotine, or using a different ohm coil all drastically changed everything involving flavor. It's to the point where one version of my favorite flavor I flat out hate in a certain variation; in another it's my all-time-favorite. It's gotten me to really think about what this means.

I have a theory: everyone always says taste is super subjective on here. I mean, it definitively is. But what if the lack of context that we all seem to put to the side is actually a major cause of so many differing opinions. What if taste isn't as-subjective as we all think. I mean it doesn't work to that extreme with food. 90% of people would agree that McDonalds fries are tasty as hell, and also make you feel terrible afterward (I'm not even a fan, just trying to think of something obvious.) So then, why do we treat ejuice so differently.

If their fries were available in a made-to-order fashion where you could choose the potato/grease ratio, cook-time etc...would it be so universal? The variables just never seem to be taken into account.

---

I would love to see the forum add some sort of option like a signature where people can put it what setup they use for context. But since some people may use so many different ones, maybe the only answer is that we just as a habit in this forum make it a point when talking about a juice simply say "I love Bro-Crooked-Hat Sauce......at 6Nic .5coil 30W on my Sub Tank blah blah." Then as a 12Nic 1.8coil 13W person; I would take note that they would have a different experience than myself.

Anyway, if you agree please help me start this movement. I truly think this could change the way we talk and find out about ejuice.

Last edited:

Justwingingit

Jul 24, 2015
Australia
I think you have raised an interesting point and I think it not only depends on personal preference of tastes in flavour but what setup they are using.

I recently saw posts in a thread about disliked ejuice flavours where MBV are mentioned.

From my experience I have found their juice to be very nice. I think steeping also helps.

I've tried MBV green apple in 2 different mods.

First was on a Kangertech evod mod...really nice.

Second was in a friends Kangertech kbox. Setup 0.5ohm 40watts.....WOW!

Just about blew my socks off the second time lol

I felt that the taste was definitely stronger and more crisp on the kbox and perhaps more info on setup in forum posts will help too.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I would love to see the forum add some sort of option like a signature where people can put it what setup they use for context.

Members can use their signatures for this. Bear in mind, there are some hard limits on the amount of information that can be placed there.

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
Interesting. I had a friend who uses an Atlantis V2 complaining about not getting flavor out of any juice except Cinnamon. I let him try some of his "flavorless" juice on my Freak Show RDA with a .4 coil at 55 watts and he couldn't believe how much tastier it was. I did this because I have an Atlantis V2 sitting in my drawer right now because I noticed it muted the flavors something fierce. I agree with the OP that context is important.

puddinman

Jun 6, 2015
Great idea but the problem is that there are just too many variations in setup. I've seen where one member says they like X setup and another doesn't like X but likes Y. To me the setup variable is another variable where subjectivity comes too much into play to be of practical use.

Better context would be, "My favorite juices are 1, 2 and 3." That gives me an idea of whether or not I have anything in common taste-wise with the reviewer. It would also give some data as to how many times a particular juice is mentioned as a favorite.

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Simply put, I think we need to find a way to provide context when discussing ejuice- especially when recommending something.

I have a theory: everyone always says taste is super subjective on here. I mean, it definitively is. But what if the lack of context that we all seem to put to the side is actually a major cause of so many differing opinions. What if taste isn't as-subjective as we all think.

While I agree with the basic premise of your post, you counter your own point by saying, "What if..." Taste is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I would love to see the forum add some sort of option like a signature where people can put it what setup they use for context. But since some people may use so many different ones, maybe the only answer is that we just as a habit in this forum make it a point when talking about a juice simply say "I love Bro-Crooked-Hat Sauce......at 6Nic .5coil 30W on my Sub Tank blah blah." Then as a 12Nic 1.8coil 13W person; I would take note that they would have a different experience than myself.

To add context, yes, this would be a great idea, however, you are still going to run into the fact that taste is subjective, there is no escaping this point. Even if you replicate another person's build exactly, use the same wattage, etc...you are going to have a different taste experience no matter what. Everyone's palate is totally different. You use fries as an example, OK, I'll use something way different. I LOVE sushi, especially squid and octopus. I could eat that everyday and never get tired of it. However, not many people I know will even try it and those that have, well the majority didn't care for it at all. Yes this may seem an extreme example, but it just goes back to the point that TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Your set up definatly has an effect on the taste/enjoyment of a juice.

I would like to see a grand total of the best juices as liked by the masses---there are 220,000 of us here.

But the problem with this idea is there are 5,533,125,000,000---- different brands and flavors out there available!!!

If we could get a list of the flavors/companys and vote on these we mite get an idea of what the masses really like as a whole.

I like red hot cinnamon by---Vapage---hhahahahah only a bazillion more votes to go...

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Taste is so subjective, I don't even know if I can trust myself when it comes to recommendations. I can hate a flavor, then try it weeks (or years) later and think it is pretty good. I've experienced this more than once with vaping, and the variable that changed was really only me.

But it would for sure be interesting to try same (exact) flavor, while fine tuning the other variables to see if I would like that flavor, more or less, with the fine tune adjustments to the other ingredients. Perhaps I'm lazy, but all the fine tuning strikes me as too much work for me to do, and too much demand to place on a vendor. Though I'd still be interested in the idea of it.

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
While I agree with the basic premise of your post, you counter your own point by saying, "What if..." Taste is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
To add context, yes, this would be a great idea, however, you are still going to run into the fact that taste is subjective, there is no escaping this point. Even if you replicate another person's build exactly, use the same wattage, etc...you are going to have a different taste experience no matter what. Everyone's palate is totally different. You use fries as an example, OK, I'll use something way different. I LOVE sushi, especially squid and octopus. I could eat that everyday and never get tired of it. However, not many people I know will even try it and those that have, well the majority didn't care for it at all. Yes this may seem an extreme example, but it just goes back to the point that TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE.

I totally agree with this. I HATE sushi and my daughter can't get enough of it!

I think you have raised an interesting point and I think it not only depends on personal preference of tastes in flavour but what setup they are using.
I recently saw posts in a thread about disliked ejuice flavours where MBV are mentioned.
From my experience I have found their juice to be very nice. I think steeping also helps.

And like this^^^ I have only liked one MBV flavor that I have tried. No matter how long I've steeped or what setup I've had them in, I just don't like their other flavors. And boy, how I've tried! It would be great to be in love with their juice because they do have great prices and great customer service. But it is simply not juice that I enjoy.

I think taste is subjective, no matter what variables are included. Keep in mind also, that those of us who have more recently quit smoking have deadened taste buds. Just one more variable that can't really be measured.

Justwingingit

Jul 24, 2015
Australia
@AllElseFailed totally agree with you taste IS subjective. I think my tastebuds are still recovering from years of smoking so its possible some could be dead lol. I also expecte mot only the juice taste to change over time as I let it steep but also my own taste/palette tolerance of juices.

I also find for me personally sometimes I can like a juice and think wow I like it. But then the next day or a few weeks later I try it again and dislike it....only to like it again the next I vape it haha.

MBV coffee cake does this for me. I have a love hate with it

So when deciding on a juice whether its buying a new one or trying one I already own, I take into consideration a bunch of things....

My mood, the weather (cuz if its hot i like to vape a refreshing flave, setup, steeping time, recommendations from friends and ecg, or I mix a few juices together, etc.

But most of all I enjoy experimenting, learning and trying different things

Its taken me a couple of months to fully convert to vaping. So I come to ecg to read and learn lots and have fun with vaping cuz it sure beats smoking yukky analogs.

Last edited:

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles

I totally agree that it is subjective, but I think it's a sliding scale. And while I don't think that will ever go away, I just keep finding that setup creates an added layer of subjectivity. We'll never be able to all agree on flavors, but I think we'd find more agreement in what's "good" on a large scale.

I just keep going back to food. There are certain ones that the majority can agree on. I guess that's true in vaping to some degree, but I think the lack of context stops it from becoming on-par with food in universality. So I think it's about minimizing the subjective...if that makes any sense.

And good point about squid and octopus. But again, I think there is a general consensus on it. The few and proud love it, while the majority just aren't feeling it. If I could only have those sort of odds on a potential juice ;)

Thundernoggin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
MI
Miss Noggin loves to share a vape with me. So we wind up passing the mod back and forth between us. We've tried a ton of flavors over the last 16 months together. It is a rare day that we taste the same thing. Sometimes the differences between what we are tasting on the same equipment is mind boggling. The only thing that has been really useful is getting to know people here who enjoy a similar flavor profile and that is still hit or miss.

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
I totally agree that it is subjective, but I think it's a sliding scale.

So I think it's about minimizing the subjective...if that makes any sense.

So you are trying to narrow down the "taste scale" I take it? With all the variables involved, that is going to be like passing a camel through the eye of a needle :D

Your "movement" sounds great in theory, but once you do the math I think it would be virtually impossible to try and apply any sort of scale, rating system, etc.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
My personal experience with most juices is there might be a slight difference in taste changing atty's, ohm's, coils or power settings but bad juice usually taste bad in about anything and the same can be said for good juice also.

That's a really good point. But if you're up for an experiment, try for your favorite ADV in a drastically different setup or Nic level. I think that was the biggest shock for me- how much Nic level can matter. On fruit flavors not as much, but a tobacco or complex flavor, it's really is night and day for me.

Justwingingit

Jul 24, 2015
Australia
That's a really good point. But if you're up for an experiment, try for your favorite ADV in a drastically different setup or Nic level. I think that was the biggest shock for me- how much Nic level can matter. On fruit flavors not as much, but a tobacco or complex flavor, it's really is night and day for me.

@drysprocket please elaborate as I'm interested to hear more about your experiences with different nic levels, etc.

My cuurent ADV guabana 50/50 mix with 12mg on a KT evod mod if that helps.

I'm open suggestions on nic level, watts/ohms etc and trying some new mixes, especially now my subox mini is on its way.

I know green apple 24mg on a kbox mod 0.5ohm 40watt...blew my socks off lol!

Reactions: drysprocket
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread