Wood Milling or Routing for Burl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Hi Folks, I have been keeping my head down waiting on a local CNC machinist that four months ago took on a job for me to mill out some Australian stabilised wood enclosures for my latest mosfet wood squonker, I gave him the sketchup files and the design parameters and since then it has been a nightmare of communication and lack of any action on his part. I haven't done any other modding since I finished the design for this project and I am starting to go stir crazy.

Any way I have started to consider getting a mill or a router and do all the milling at home, or at the very least produce a prototype that can be sent to a machinist for reproduction should I want larger volume production.

I know this subject has been touched upon a few times, but I can't seem to find the answers that I want, so I am asking for advice.

Can I get reasonable results with hardwood on the Seig SX2 Mini Mill like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/351...=true&hlpv=2&chn=ps&lpid=107&ops=true&viphx=1 or do I need a router with the faster speed it's capable of. Are there specific end mill bits that would work with burl at the lower speeds the mill can achieve?

I know the router will be very loud, and I don't really want to be so restricted as to when I can use it, being as I work at nigh a lot. Also I would like to be able to mill SS brass and Alu. And I would ideally like to be able to CNC it at a later stage if I chose.

I know the tooling is important, but the initial tooling need to rout/mill enclosures shouldn't be too varied.

I apologize for asking questions that may have been asked again, but i need your guys feedback, and will be tremendously grateful for your help.

Cheers

SV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread