Is the PROVARI worth it...YES and I will explain WHY. Facts, not fanyboyism. Plz Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Yah... I'm super excited that I'm in the shipping cue:). I just got the bill for the Microstick tonite... that and the BilletBox have such limited runs, I really lucked out on the timing:). The pdib will take another month or so... but wow... he's letting people send him their own wood, so some of us are getting a bit carried away looking at wood:).

But can you imagine that mod above say with this (yes, the below is a slab of WOOD that's dyed and stabilized... it's NOT a picture):

RWT104B.jpg

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
East Central Ind
Wow you guys are really getting your panties tangled up here.

Okay lets see...the thread title explicitly states that i am trying to avoid blind and blatant fanboyism to explain the value arguments FOR the ownership of a provari. Lets not forget that if you guys want to post in this thread....keep it civil and on point or else moderators have no problems closing a valuable thread.

So everyone, return to your respective fighting corners and take a chill pill. No one is claiming a semovar is better than provari or vice versa.
Someone buying a semovar/dna20 mod is likely similar to a person buying a provari. An intermediate to advanced vaper who knows what he or she wants. The purpose of this thread was to show why chinese mods are simpy not in the same league as provari. The people who use chinese mods and are considering provari are my target audience.

Also, who cares about ego threading?! Just slap a $2 EGO/510 adapter on and your golden. Althoug my EVOD tanks dont vape as well on my provari....so why would you REALLY need ego threading?

Personally I vape 1.5 ohm up to 3 ohm coils. On my current 1.8dual coil setup, i am running anywhere from 3-5.5 volts depending on my flavor preference at the time. I rarey "set it and forget it". Im constantly rotating juices and toppers and dialing them in for wha suits my current need. Sometimes i want a warmer vape so i set it high. Sometimes its a long cool draw im after, so ill go low. All with the same topper in the same session. So really for me variable wattage is completely and utterly useless. I feel i am not the only one who uses in this manner? VW to me is simply a massive marketing gimmick and i find no use for it. Just my opinion though.

I find the Provari to be an 'enlightened' device.
It shys away from flashiness and 'the next best thing' and simply performs at what it does amazingly. Its very similar to a 1969 Mustang. Not full of gimmky bells and whistles, but its a true beast and a feat of car making ingenuity. I think of the word ingenuity alot when using my provari. It brings happiness in its simplicity and sturdy structure. Its PWM blows the competitors out of the water and so does its weight and feel. Notice how almost all chinese mods try to emulate the provari in both looks and function?
Well their function is simply no match for a provari so they tack on gimmicks like cell phone chargers and other things. Lets be honest...do we really need that stuff on a personal vaporizer?!

I agree 100% regarding the real need for VW. I have a couple provaris as well as a dna20 futura and multiple china vv/vw devices and on all of my devices I still have to adjust power settings depending on the topper and or juice I am using at the time. The main selling point of VW is being able to set your preferred wattage and it auto adjusts for the same vape regardless of your topper. It would be great if it really did work like that but it never has for me. I still have to adjust wattage as much as I do for voltage.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I agree 100% regarding the real need for VW. I have a couple provaris as well as a dna20 futura and multiple china vv/vw devices and on all of my devices I still have to adjust power settings depending on the topper and or juice I am using at the time. The main selling point of VW is being able to set your preferred wattage and it auto adjusts for the same vape regardless of your topper. It would be great if it really did work like that but it never has for me. I still have to adjust wattage as much as I do for voltage.

My experiences are exactly the same as this. I love all my good mods, but don't give a rat's .... whether they're VV or VW. That feature has zero impact, and therefore zero value, on/to my own personal assessment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Well, when this technology comes out later this year, and proves successful, the whole game is going to change. What we are enjoying now will eventually be rendered obsolete.

The TA-EW Nebulizer, The Mod Of The Future | Vineyard Vapes

This mod is stated to have so many new concepts that I don’t know where to start, or what is real for that matter. I’ve read that it uses no wick, and relies on a vacuum system to load the juice from a 10ml cartridge into the evaporation chamber. That’s right the future is coming. Here are some more “details” that may or may not be correct:

•Powered by a 26650 battery
•55 watt output
•Touch sensitive curved OLED display
•The screen can display; battery%, liquid level, condition of the heating coil, and wattage
•Made of stainless steel, aluminum and carbon
•Made in Germany
•Expected to be released in the second half of 2014

Some new Info:
- 140€ for the aluminum version
- 180€ for the stainless steel version
- 600€ for the carbonfiber version (limited to 100). something with carbon fiber nano tubes. dont know
- it will be build by a german car manufacture but the company name is secret because the patents and trademarks arent save

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94kslkL0KTk

Last edited:

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Not a hipshot. That's numbers based on life experience.

I don't even believe people think machining when they see threads that are decent. I'm a pipefitter by trade. If your taps are in good shape and you don't rush it there's no way to mess up threads. Order some thinwall US seamless nipples to length female threaded. Buying them in bulk will bring that down to almost nothing.

The top cap is the only thing you need machined. I would still get it stamped then touched up and finished on the lathe.

I actually probably put more time on a non cnc lathe making a set of motorcycle grips than the entire process to make the metal on a Provari. And that is custom.

As far as the board goes. The components aren't very expensive. Put in some calls getting pricing on some boards. They do enough volume that if it's costing Provari more than 15 to make the same chip they've been using for 4 years their buyer needs to find a new line of work. I don't see any expensive components in the chip really.

I wonder how much machining time you are allotting per Provari and how many journeyman machinists do you think they employ?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I am not the one claiming to be an expert on manufacturing because I am a pipefitter. I am not 'allotting' machinist time, I am refuting your preposterous estimate of cost for the body of the device.

I suspect they employ several journeyman machinists. I am sure nobody working for Provape is making minimum wage, due to their business philosophy. The top cap alone is a work of considerable craftsmanship. Take a good look at one and get back to me with your $20, minimum wage machinist premise.

Everything on that device (minus the board) cannot be manufactured for the number you stated. Don't forget that a portion of the cost of tools and equipment, lights, rent, health benefits, etc. all go into the true cost to build this device.

Roaring via Tapatalk

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
One other thing. Here is an excerpt from an interview that Baditude linked some time ago. Here is what ProVape has to say about its manufacturing process:

Several have asked if the ProVari is just “assembled” in the US or “made” in the US, so to address this questions here are some details:

The ProVape-1 and ProVari are actually MADE and ASSEMBLED in the USA.

Parts - Machined right here in Monroe, WA. We use US-made stainless steel bar stock to produce the tubes, top caps, bottom caps, contact pins, etc. Everything is done on our machines locally. No outsourcing.

Bare Circuit Boards - Manufactured in Illinois. We do not purchase the circuit boards from China due to their poor quality. While the circuit boards are more expensive to produce in the USA; this is the heart of the system and it’s important to us that they are the best quality we can get. Each PCB is electronically tested before it ever sees components.

Electronic Components on Circuit Board – these are the only parts that might come from outside of the USA. Some of these parts are simply not made in the US, so we can’t get them from a US source, even though we would prefer to.

We use components from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, China and the USA.

Component assembly - Components are soldered onto the circuit boards at a facility outside Seattle, Washington. After getting components installed, the boards are tested several more times at our Monroe facility to ensure they are ready to ship. We test each one multiple times to give you the most reliable product you can get.

We don't cut any corners when it comes to quality control, testing, and component selection.

We love to hear all the positive comments about the ProVari and PV1. Thank you for your support!

Link:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/289525-provari-made-usa.html

Does it sound like they are purchasing pre-threaded female nipples to you? I don't think so.

You still like your estimate of $20? I can do more research, but do I really need to? The amount is clearly much higher, and the skilled labor going into building the body of this device is much higher than you have alleged.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Well, when this technology comes out later this year, and proves successful, the whole game is going to change. What we are enjoying now will eventually be rendered obsolete.

TA-EW Nebulizer ( Patent pending ) Fan Video - YouTube

I've got friends in Germany and I WAS ABLE TO GET ON THE PRE-ORDER LIST! They're only accepting pre-orders for the carbon fiber unit, and require FULL payment up front, so I just had to shell out $812.38 USD to get on "The List".

But I'm SURE it's all up-and-up, and I can't WAIT get my hands on this mod! I don't speak German very well but I think he said I'd have it either, (a) by Christmas, or (b) when Hell freezes over. Either or, same diff...

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I've got friends in Germany and I WAS ABLE TO GET ON THE PRE-ORDER LIST! They're only accepting pre-orders for the carbon fiber unit, and require FULL payment up front, so I just had to shell out $812.38 USD to get on "The List".

But I'm SURE it's all up-and-up, and I can't WAIT get my hands on this mod! I don't speak German very well but I think he said I'd have it either, (a) by Christmas, or (b) when Hell freezes over. Either or, same diff...

LOL! :) I guess we will just wait and see.. There is more than adequate technology available to build a mod like this if one had the $$ and inclination. I have no reason to doubt it's being worked on. I'll be the first to mothball every piece of my vape-gear if this project is proven to be successful.

Remember when DigitalCiggz developed the Eclipse? Medical grade micro pump for juice delivery, and features which were considered "space-age" at the time.. It made it to production, but failed to be reliable. The produced units were recalled, and the project shelved. Point is, many (including myself, if you look back on one of my posts in their thread) were skeptical... BUT they DID get the device to market.

That was well over 2 years ago... I have no reason to doubt that a motivated design team from Germany can pull off the TA-EW with the tech currently available. Just don't be surprised if it comes to pass... ;)

EDIT: Here is Basilray's first look on the Eq (originally named Eclipse) for those who were not around then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m2YlPTySw4

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
LOL! :) I guess we will just wait and see.. There is more than adequate technology available to build a mod like this if one had the $$ and inclination. I have no reason to doubt it's being worked on. I'll be the first to mothball every piece of my vape-gear if this project is proven to be successful.

Remember when DigitalCiggz developed the Eclipse? Medical grade micro pump for juice delivery, and features which were considered "space-age" at the time.. It made it to production, but failed to be reliable. The produced units were recalled, and the project shelved. Point is, many (including myself, if you look back on one of my posts in their thread) were skeptical... BUT they DID get the device to market.

That was well over 2 years ago... I have no reason to doubt that a motivated design team from Germany can pull off the TA-EW with the tech currently available. Just don't be surprised if it comes to pass... ;)

I know you will get one and give us the 411 in it. If you say it's good, I will pony up the $.

Roaring via Tapatalk

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

This comes from a misunderstanding of Wattage and has nothing to do with preferences.
vw does not set taste

A VV Device will maintain (X) Voltage output regardless of attached device, until the user makes a change. 1.8ohm and 2.5ohm will perform quite different. This may or may not matter, depending on the actual setup and e-liquid or preference.

A VW Device will Maintain (X)watts of output regardless of attached device. This will be translated to any device within the units abilities. Top devices of similar build with similar e-liquids with 1.8ohm or 2.5ohm coils should perform about the same.
This has nothing to do with what temperature a preferred e-liquid should or could be best enjoyed.

Any debate over VV vs VW is exclusive of the quality or capability of a device to do the job it was designed to do.
Both are simply features. Both have purpose, but only to the user seeking the particular feature.
Both features do as they were designed - Lock the Device to THIS Setting, until changed.

VV and VW are simply interfaces between the user and the atomizer.
* Everyone seems to leave out the first V in their Debates - VARIABLE - the ability to change. i.e. tweak to preference*

To each their own.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Those are great looking mods. I've been thinking about the microstick a lot myself.

That's the difference isn't it? My fiance likes 4.5 watts on a 1.4 ohm micro coil in a mini protank.

If I grab it to vape I put it on 11.5 watts and it's good for me. The airflow limitation forces you to stay so low. In general for me the tighter the draw the lower the wattage I like.

The Microstick is sooo unique... if you can get one, you probably should, because no matter what comes 'down the pike' later, I'm 100% certain they cannot build a nebulizer as small as this unit, so it will always have demand (we're talking a fully functional APV that's 2" tall on the LONGEST side). The problem isn't the price, it's availability. You have to really work to buy one.

Anyway, all this talk defending 20 watts.... and you don't use 20 watts. Bet you don't know anyone else who uses 20 watts either (cant' fathom how juice or wicking can keep up with it, you'd just be vaping burnt). Soooo... what for 20 watts?

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com

TA-EW Nebulizer ( Patent pending ) Fan Video - YouTube

I dunno... there are lots of nebulizers in use in the medical community for asthmatics. When I had bronchitis, I had an inhaler to help keep my lungs clear, so I got some experience with propellent inhalers, and looked at nebulizers also. While I'm sure what you are talking about is new technology... there are real serious drawbacks to current medical inhalers that would make them less appealing to vapers.

Starting with the lack/low vapor (we're all simulating smoking here).

Ending with the size of the delivery devices... the best functioning nebulizers are big stationary units the size of hookahs. If you were to make them really small, ala inhalers, you'd end up with the first problem... lack of/low vapor.

Turning liquid into micro particles isn't a new idea... and I guess if people are ready to take the leap away from smoking and go with the equivalent of a medical inhaler... sure.

But there is 1 thing each and every one of us could do right now, without the fuss and muss of vaping and equipment... which is to just rub measured amounts of nicotine liquid directly on our skin to get our 'fix' of nicotine. That we don't do this shows that it's not just the nicotine, but the entire ritual of 'smoking' that matters to us. Smoking = Vapor.

Take that away, and it's not as satisfying, so the sexy unit better be blowing CLOUDS or it won't sell. Far as I know, no existing nebulizer big or small can blow clouds.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I figure since it's being designed as a vaping mod, and powered by a 26650 battery with a max 55 watt output, it will blow mad clouds.. ;)

Well, depends on what they are designing for... efficient delivery of liquid drugs is the primary purpose of a medical nebulizer... and there's no clouds, but extremely efficient lung dispersal (or an asthmatic having an attack would die). A pix of the device (as shown in the video), does not answer the question of which they were designing for. No nebulizer sold today makes clouds, and I can't think of how it would... what they do is turn liquid into spray (think aerosol), but smoke is quite a bit finer than spray. I don't know, maybe managed to make an aerosol that makes smoke instead of spray.

OhmTheWatt

Oct 16, 2013
The Microstick is sooo unique... if you can get one, you probably should, because no matter what comes 'down the pike' later, I'm 100% certain they cannot build a nebulizer as small as this unit, so it will always have demand (we're talking a fully functional APV that's 2" tall on the LONGEST side). The problem isn't the price, it's availability. You have to really work to buy one.

Anyway, all this talk defending 20 watts.... and you don't use 20 watts. Bet you don't know anyone else who uses 20 watts either (cant' fathom how juice or wicking can keep up with it, you'd just be vaping burnt). Soooo... what for 20 watts?
What I carry with me right now is a pulse g on a chi you. Twisted 28 microcoil coming out to .7 ohm.

My daily vape is over 20 watts unregulated.

I wouldn't vape 20 watts on a bcc. I do vape every day over 20 watts on gennies and RDAs.

After playing with dna devices I found a better vape in the 1 ohm range around 20 watts. And that vape unlike a low sub ohm mech is consistent.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Synonyms (English) for "nebulizer":

atomizer · atomizer · spray · sprayer · nebuliser

Since we are dealing with the German naming of the device, and it's being discussed on German vaping forums as being designed for vaping, I think it's a safe bet it's not for medical use. :) Time will tell..

It’s power is only exceeded by it’s mystery. There are very foggy details coming for a new type of vaporizer. If the information being posted is accurate, it will make all mods obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread