New Builders, Please Be Smart.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
If you're new to rebuilding, please be smart and safe about this. Do NOT build below your batteries amp capacity. I caught my co worker (in a vape shop, mind you) with a dual TWO wrap 20 GAUGE build. For those who don't know what that would ohm out to, right around .02-.04....... I'm just glad I caught him in time before he seriously hurt himself. Please use your steam engine website, guys. Don't do something that you aren't sure about, and if you have questions on if a build is safe, please ask here.

/rantoff

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
TJVUDe0_zpsxmlb4ogn.gif

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
The part I don't understand with people who feel the need to build that low is that with a single battery unregulated device even with the best 18650 or 26650 cell available you still hit diminishing returns around 0.15 to 0.12 ohms depending on how conductive your mod is, after that the voltage sag is simply too great to give any advantage at all to the lower ohm build and you're just killing your batteries much much faster. Of course you can get past this by using multiple batteries in parallel depending on the build, but that's a different topic all together.

Matty316

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Hull, England
I'm suprised we don't hear more horror storys because there seems to be a lot of people making builds with no idea how to do it safely. I guess thats one problem with internet sales, anyone can go buy a powerful mod, low gauge wire and an atty and start building with no advice or research on how to do it safely.
At least with a vape shop if they are any good they will advise you on these things before selling you anything like that.

I'm just glad regulated mods have so many safety features now. I bet they have saved a lot of people from going boom.

Last edited:

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
If you're new to rebuilding, please be smart and safe about this. Do NOT build below your batteries amp capacity. I caught my co worker (in a vape shop, mind you) with a dual TWO wrap 20 GAUGE build. For those who don't know what that would ohm out to, right around .02-.04....... I'm just glad I caught him in time before he seriously hurt himself. Please use your steam engine website, guys. Don't do something that you aren't sure about, and if you have questions on if a build is safe, please ask here.

/rantoff

I cannot like this post enough.
The last thing we need is an overabundance of stories popping up in the news about people blowing themselves up while vaping because they had no clue what they were doing. There are already too many stories like this out there that resulted from even the smallest of ecigs being used improperly.

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
I cannot like this post enough.
The last thing we need is an overabundance of stories popping up in the news about people blowing themselves up while vaping because they had no clue what they were doing. There are already too many stories like this out there that resulted from even the smallest of ecigs being used improperly.

Exactly what I told him after I scolded him. Even if you're a brand new builder, I feel like common sense would take over telling you that's not a good idea. Guess I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread