DNA 200 not even close.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

inmytaxi

Feb 10, 2013
United States
Whether it's user error or a badly built chip or mod, the possibility of a nickel wire jumping out of temperature control is a good enough reason for me not to use it. That, and I don't like the taste, though I don't understand why no one else seems to taste what I do, maybe it's my paranoia. I don't see any benefit to temp control when it's working properly (besides avoiding the occasional dry hit) to take risks that I don't understand with nickel and titanium wire being heated and inhaling the results into my lungs.

Reactions: 52anddone

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Whether it's user error or a badly built chip or mod, the possibility of a nickel wire jumping out of temperature control is a good enough reason for me not to use it. That, and I don't like the taste, though I don't understand why no one else seems to taste what I do, maybe it's my paranoia. I don't see any benefit to temp control when it's working properly (besides avoiding the occasional dry hit) to take risks that I don't understand with nickel and titanium wire being heated and inhaling the results into my lungs.

ok thats fine. You imply that you do understand the risks of using kanthal, and more importantly, the risks of overheating juice to the point of chemical decomposition to god-knows-what...there are pluses and minus for both vaping startegies!

Reactions: cheech226

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I like the idea of the extra controls and data collection. I got control of my smoking. Now I'd like more control of my vaping and the data the board can collect would help with that. One thing that's holding me back at the moment is the batteries. I'm often away from AC for long periods, sometimes several days. That's no problem when the power source is 18650's, just carry as many as you expect to need. One thing I don't need is 200 max watts. Will there be, or is there, a mod using this board with dual 18650's and presumably a lower max max watts?

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
I like the idea of the extra controls and data collection. I got control of my smoking. Now I'd like more control of my vaping and the data the board can collect would help with that. One thing that's holding me back at the moment is the batteries. I'm often away from AC for long periods, sometimes several days. That's no problem when the power source is 18650's, just carry as many as you expect to need. One thing I don't need is 200 max watts. Will there be, or is there, a mod using this board with dual 18650's and presumably a lower max max watts?
The DNA200 can use dual 18650, or a 2S lipo. Using the two series configuration you're limited to 133W, but you can have the ease of swapping 18650s, or the extra mah of a 2S lipo.

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
have you thought about purchasing a USB charging pack? something like a Anker Astro E7 26800mAh USB charger is about $70 on amazon and should give you all the charge you need. they also support 2A charging so it will top up nice and fast. that is an extreme example. there are smaller packs which are lighter and still large enough to charge your mod a couple times with ease. for comparison that 26800mAh charging pack would charge a 3x900mAh DNA200 just under 10 times before it needs to be charged itself. that should be good to last you a few days.

Roadshaker

Apr 19, 2014
Knoxville,TN,USA
I bought a portable power supply the Zerolemon 30,000mah.It has 2 1amp and 2 2amp ports for charging.Will charge to 99% and then shut itself off.Found it on Techspot for 60$ and is a great device.Usually have an outlet handy but this is great if you are worried about overcharging.I charge my 3 DNA200 with it and it works great.
This charger has rubber port covers and is shock resistant for those of us who are rough on our equipment and tend to drop things:(:(.I checked and they are on Amazon for less than 60$ with free shipping.Worth a look!

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The DNA200 can use dual 18650, or a 2S lipo. Using the two series configuration you're limited to 133W, but you can have the ease of swapping 18650s, or the extra mah of a 2S lipo.
What I'm shopping for is a TC mod with 4400 mah or better in something with a user replacable batteries. There appear to be some dna 200s mods with battery doors and replacable lipos but they are equivelent to about 1 18650. When I was doing watts control the 4400 mah in my iStick 50w was enought for several days firing at 20 watts. In temp control I'm firing 1 ohm Ti coils at 420 with 20 max watts so endurance should be similar. Otherwise 2 3000 mah 18650's would provide more power than I got from the iStick and be safe as long as I'm staying below 40 watts?

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
its not quite as simple as just looking at total mAh capacity. at low wattages like you vape at the current batch of DNA200 with lipos last a VERY long time. people are reporting that under heavy vaping under 50W they are going several days between charges. however, if you would prefer something user replacable and vape at below 40 watts im sure that there will be some great dual 18650 DNA200s soon.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
its not quite as simple as just looking at total mAh capacity. at low wattages like you vape at the current batch of DNA200 with lipos last a VERY long time. people are reporting that under heavy vaping under 50W they are going several days between charges. however, if you would prefer something user replacable and vape at below 40 watts im sure that there will be some great dual 18650 DNA200s soon.
If the current dna 200 builds can have the same or more endurance than the iStick 50 and if I can replace the lippo battery when it's past it's prime that would resolve my battery issues. May be I don't know how to interpret the lippo batter specs of the DNA 200 devices.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
If the current dna 200 builds can have the same or more endurance than the iStick 50 and if I can replace the lippo battery when it's past it's prime that would resolve my battery issues. May be I don't know how to interpret the lippo batter specs of the DNA 200 devices.
With 3S lipos (the ones the DNA200 uses) you need to think in terms of Watt hours, and not mah. Lets compare the istick 50W lipo, 1S 4400mah lipo to a 3S 1100mah lipo.

The formula for converting mah to Watt hours is E(Wh) = Q(mAh) × V(V)/1000

Using the nominal voltage for each.

So for the istick 50W battery 4400 x 3.7V/1000 = 16.28 Wh

For a 3S 1100mah lipo it would be 1100 x 11.1V/1000 = 12.21Wh

So the 4400mah istick 50W would have a longer runtime vs a 1100 mah 3S lipo, but not nearly the disparity you would think just comparing 1100mah vs 4400 mah.

And if you wanted to find a DNA200 with a similar runtime to the istick 50W, you would want one with a 1500mah 3S lipo, which would be slightly greater at 16.65Wh.

Margucci

Oct 5, 2015
^ hit the nail on the head. as for replacing the lipo packs when they are past their prime the vaporshark DNA200 has a magnetic back panel and would probably be the easiest to swap them out of. however, if you will just swap them near their end of life a magnetic back panel is overkill. most mods are disassemblable with a little work and the packs can be swapped out.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Personally I'm glad for the OP's perspective on the DNA200. It can't be all 'rosy colored glasses'. All products have their strengths and weaknesses.

I also think "help" is an often misused and not understood term.
    • if you work for: the vendor, manufacturer or chipset OEM you might be able to offer advanced diagnostics, decision making or product replacement to the user (user to purchasing chain)
    • if as a user you've experienced the same or similar problem (and found a resolution) you can be of help by passing on the solution that worked for you (user to user help)
    • if as a user you've experienced the same or similar problem and have not found a solution for it, the only help might be offering "your not alone" condolences to the user
    • if none of the above apply to you, its rather doubtful that any help can be provided, unless assuming user error and mocking the person with the problem is considered helpful in any way
    in internet forums, while some problems get blown up to be way bigger than they actually are others are are seemingly 'swept under the rug'. Both can be difficult to filter out of the chaff and the noise.

A vendor recently offered two different DNA200 devices as possible replacements for a device I'm returning that no longer works and they can't get replacements for. Its good to hear a full spectrum of comments on the device, lest I get overwhelmed by the "hype" and are gravely disappointed with my replacement.

Lets be realistic here shall we?

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2014
    MD
    Personally I'm glad for the OP's perspective on the DNA200. It can't be all 'rosy colored glasses'. All products have their strengths and weaknesses.

I also think "help" is an often misused and not understood term.
    • if you work for: the vendor, manufacturer or chipset OEM you might be able to offer advanced diagnostics, decision making or product replacement to the user (user to purchasing chain)
    • if as a user you've experienced the same or similar problem (and found a resolution) you can be of help by passing on the solution that worked for you (user to user help)
    • if as a user you've experienced the same or similar problem and have not found a solution for it, the only help might be offering "your not alone" condolences to the user
    • if none of the above apply to you, its rather doubtful that any help can be provided, unless assuming user error and mocking the person with the problem is considered helpful in any way
    in internet forums, while some problems get blown up to be way bigger than they actually are others are are seemingly 'swept under the rug'. Both can be difficult to filter out of the chaff and the noise.

A vendor recently offered two different DNA200 devices as possible replacements for a device I'm returning that no longer works and they can't get replacements for. Its good to hear a full spectrum of comments on the device, lest I get overwhelmed by the "hype" and are gravely disappointed with my replacement.

Lets be realistic here shall we?
    Its good to hear both positive and negative opinions, but the first post in this thread is pure nonsense. I would take that with a literal grain of salt.

OP seemed happy enough with his 200 in this post from evolv...
    http://evolvapor.forumchitchat.com/post/custom-coil-build-7734812?pid=1289388408
    Yup that was the first build I put on it and as you can see, I posted that I was working on some of the kinks. I also posted this the same day.

http://evolvapor.forumchitchat.com/post/please-put-a-temp-lock-option-in-software-7737181

Its good to hear both positive and negative opinions, but the first post in this thread is pure nonsense. I would take that with a literal grain of salt.

Absolutely not nonsense as you can see many people agree with these issues. Take it with as many grains of salt as you would like. I should also mention that out of the first batch of 12 I had to return 2 defects. And the forums are getting filled with people with chips that are faulting. Let me say again. I want this chip to be better than all others.... but unfortunatley it is not at the moment. So I want people to be aware before they purchase from reading all the glamour threads.

Last edited:

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2014
    MD
    Yup that was the first build I put on it and as you can see, I posted that I was working on some of the kinks. I also posted this the same day.

http://evolvapor.forumchitchat.com/post/please-put-a-temp-lock-option-in-software-7737181

Absolutely not nonsense as you can see many people agree with these issues. Take it with as many grains of salt as you would like. I should also mention that out of the first batch of 12 I had to return 2 defects. And the forums are getting filled with people with chips that are faulting. Let me say again. I want this chip to be better than all others.... but unfortunatley it is not at the moment. So I want people to be aware before they purchase from reading all the glamour threads.
    No, it was complete nonsense in that it makes no sense. You claimed "I have been using temp control since its birth and imo evolv has always been my second choice", that literally is not possible as they were the only choice for six months. Aka, that makes no sense. Also claimed escribe is nothing more than a tool to change screens, come on man, you know that's not true.

Then you went on to rant about your "big nickel" builds not working, which if you're talking about that fused nickel Clapton, that is the most pointless coil anybody could make, unless you like nickel oxide. For any fused Clapton, you have to pulse them, tweak them to get them firing evenly, but you shouldn't really be pulsing nickel builds that much. So you're complaining about a faulty build with hot spots that nobody should ever try to recreate, more nonsense.

The entire post just seemed like you were upset because evolv didn't jump on your suggestions for a software update. You weren't talking about valid issues, or hardware failures, had you been, it wouldn't have been nonsense.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread