Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That (social norms - whatever they may be) is the sticking point for most 'traditional' and/or 'religious' conservatives and why they tend to lump vices and crimes in certain instances whether it is promoting laws against certain behavior or just wrinkling their noses. Those type of laws regarding non-right violating behavior leads to the slippery slope doing away with freedoms. The very first 'smoking designated area' did that and led to the mass demonization and further regulations and restrictions.

As I've said before, free minds and markets may 'offend one's sensibilities' but it's not going to harm you or violate your rights. And that's the trade off vs. a police state which mandates or prohibits behavior according to someone's or some group's subjective idea of what is the 'social norm'.
Let me first say that I didn't want to get involved in this.
But yet, here I go...

Consider the following situation.

A poor neighborhood has many liquor stores, peep shows, and other "seedy" establishments.
Not only people of that neighborhood, but those of other more well-to-do neighborhoods frequent them.

Such neighborhoods may attract prostitutes and drug dealers.

People in that neighborhood raising children don't want those establishments there.
They consider that such an environment is not good for their children walking to and from school.

What are they to do?

It's things like this that keep me in state of uncertainty about what I believe.
I'm hoping someone can explain to me the "right" way of handling such situations.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Even when I was a smoker I would often high-beam someone ahead of me who threw a .... out the window.

Our homeowner's association does not allow fire pits.
It's all for insurance reasons.

I have one anyway.

Anyone 'high beamed' you for it? For some (not me) it's the same as throwing a .... out the window (which I never did - I'd 'field strip' all my butts and throw them in the trash. )

I have at times considered the appointment of Supreme Court Justices to be the most important thing a President does.

True but it's unfortunate that it has come to that. Much earlier in the Republic, (and with a few now named Paul) Representatives and Senators would bring up the Constitution wrt to bills in debate. That no longer happens much. "We'll pass the bill, read it later and if there's a problem with it the Supreme Court can handle it." :facepalm:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
But yet, here I go...

A poor neighborhood has many liquor stores, peep shows, and other "seedy" establishments.
Not only people of that neighborhood, but those of other more well-to-do neighborhoods frequent them.

People in that neighborhood raising children don't want those establishments there.
They consider that such an environment is not good for their children walking to and from school.

What are they to do?

It's things like this that keep me in state of uncertainty about what I believe.
I'm hoping someone can explain to me the "right" way of handling such situations.

My opinion is, go somewhere else.

At one point, we were apartment-hunting. We found a decent little duplex, which was quite close to my husband's place of work. However, right across the street, there was an actual apartment complex, whose dumpster apparently hadn't been emptied in some months -- I mean garbage was just strewn EVERYWHERE... As if that eyesore (not the mention the SMELL!) wasn't bad enough, there were quite a few "shady" looking characters hanging about, apparently idle and with no motivation to be otherwise. Drug dealers? Maybe. Or just riffraff looking for an easy mark.

I put my foot down -- I don't care how cheap the rent, how close to work, I am NOT raising my child (who was still in single-digits) in that kind of environment, nevermind my own safety. We were forced to look a great deal farther away to find something affordable -- which cost a lot in gas money, for the commute -- but my son and I were safe, just being in our home or outside on the porch or walking down our street, and that is worth far more than mere money or convenience.

Survival means doing whatever you must, going wherever you can, to make yourself safe -- it does NOT mean control-freak-nannying everyone else in the world to be exactly the way you think they ought to be. The world is full of "seedy neighborhoods," and parents with a single ounce of sense simply don't live there and expose their child to that -- who cares if you "clean up the neighborhood," if the cost of that is danger to yourself or your child? Let the seedy neighborhood be what it is, and go somewhere else.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
But yet, here I go...

What are they to do?

I'll just repeat what I said:

"free minds and markets may 'offend one's sensibilities' but it's not going to harm you or violate your rights. And that's the trade off vs. a police state which mandates or prohibits behavior according to someone's or some group's subjective idea of what is the 'social norm'."

And some might say that the distinction isn't that dramatic - between a culture of freedom and a police state. "Can't there be something in between?"

No. :- ) First we get 'suggestions' that smoking could be bad for "public health". Those suggestions pretty much went unheeded. Then taxes were added - that got some people's attention.... but not enough for the ANTZ.

Then because there were 'smoker's rights' advocates who said even if that's the case, we're only harming ourselves, which is none of your business. Then because health care became more 'socialized' - those smoking (and according to some) were burdening the health care system - which we now know isn't the 'net effect' - smokers were now 'robbing' others via health care.

That wasn't that successful so there HAD to me a more immediate harm done and Carol Browner and the Clinton EPA did some junk science to find that second hand smoke is carcinogenic - which further studies shows that it is not.

But that wasn't quite enough - so the ANTZ and gov't continued their junk science to say that 3000+ people (mainly kids) die of second hand smoke. And the result is all the workplace, park, any 'public' space and even in your own car if there is a kid or pet in it with you - your restricted from smoking under penalty of law. That's a mini police state in that area. And there are other mini police states in other areas.

That above IS the slippery slope in action.

When it comes to neighborhoods like you describe above, there's a difference between 'harming children' (or others) and their 'sensibilities' - this is where parenting comes in - either in finding another place to live or explaining as best as one can what that is all about and why they shouldn't involve themselves in it. And I might add, that's exactly what many brave and smart parents have done - not enough perhaps, but some actually did do that.

I'd also advocate - even though I don't participate in either - legalizing prostitution and drugs. Both involve consenting adults - IF it involves force or children, then it's a crime which should be enforced to the fullest extent.

Last edited:

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
The property rights argument is not a viable resistance to the health fascists, because the courts always uphold the government's right to "protect public health." The property rights argument is really just a position of surrender and retreat, by those who refuse to attack the government's scientific fraud.

"In most instances, courts require that a discriminatory law be “rationally related” to a “legitimate” government goal. This requirement is very easy for the government to meet, since a discriminatory law will be upheld so long as it is not totally irrational or arbitrary... The court upheld the city and state smoking bans since they were rationally related to the legitimate government goal of protecting the public health... Courts are quick to find that smoke-free legislation is rationally related to a legitimate government goal, since they have long held that protecting the public’s health is one of the most essential functions of government."
http://publichealthlawcenter.org/sites/default/files/resources/tclc-syn-constitution-2008_0.pdf

In fact they're worse than just irrational or arbitrary - they're based on deliberate scientific fraud and flagrant political corruption. They are the product of malice, with an intent to harm smokers' liberties, and "public health" is just a pretext.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The property rights argument is really just a position of surrender and retreat, by those who refuse to attack the government's scientific fraud.

No one is surrendering or retreating - just ask them. One can use all arguments. But the fascists you mention won't hold an attack on scientific fraud arguments any higher than others. They reject all arguments that don't agree with their intent, not their science or ideology which rejects property rights.

I, and I'm guessing many others here, aren't addressing the fascists, but rational people who have more of a reality on their own rights, than they do on some overwrought scientific position that, to some, has about as much credence as the junk science of the fascists.

I may not like a certain candidate because of their view on one of my issues but I'm not going to attack someone who doesn't like them for one of their issues. I want them defeated and will take whatever means possible.

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The part I've bolded in this post is the TLDR version of what I'm getting across. To see how I arrived there (for the nth time in this thread), please read this whole post.

You've bought into the ambiguity that is created by those who want to impose restrictions everywhere by redefining 'public'. The standard differentiation between property owned privately and property owned by government is that the former is considered "private property" and the latter is "public property". But from their viewpoint, IF they can get everyone (or a majority or just the media) to accept "public" to mean every inch of space available - then it would follow that gov't has control of that space.

I would say I have not bought into the ambiguity that you are stating, at least in practice. I am saying this ambiguity exists for everyone and have cited a number of examples where I can see it arising. Again, I feel confident I could name dozens of examples of things any human could do in public space of a private property and feel in essence (or even reality) that the rule preventing that would likely be made up on the spot, thus not really an actual rule but a whim by the person managing the location that day. I also think in most, if not all cases, the dispute by management would be based on 'social norms' especially if could be shown that there is no direct harm / endangerment occurring. I think there would likely be ambiguity expressed on the endangerment claim and using that as expressed reason for denial, while in reality, it would mainly be something along lines of, "I am manager, this is my whimsical choice, you must abide." Though, of course, that would never be stated.

And the laws regarding those historically have been very distinct. Private owners could make their own rules whereas on public/gov't property there were laws that determined what could or could not be done.

And yet, if they don't write those rules down, then the ambiguity exists, no? Again, if bank has no written rule of no vaping, and there is no local ordinance, and I vape there, but manager says no, is this because of "rule" or something else (whimsical decision on the spot)? I am saying it would be the latter in most, if not all cases, and is based on social norms of public space. For as long as humanity has existed in civilization.

Those who wanted to implement certain behavioral restrictions began speaking of 'public spaces' such as malls, businesses some private parks, that the 'public' ie. people, patronized. And thus began the redefining of the term so that they could also intervene into what are actually private spaces. And the 'rules' that were once the owner's privilege to decide became 'laws' which the gov't decides.

You keep putting rules in quotes, which conveys to me the ambiguity that I am attempting to pinpoint based on the little disagreement we are having. You can say all that you desire that I've given in and/or lack understanding of private property rights. I feel you are missing a point in this as well, but also care to discuss it because I think it is interesting discussion and because it could help me, or anyone, going forward with possible disputes. It may not, but I'm thinking it could.

To me, it might be as simple as saying that manager of a property property may have ambiguous rules that even they do not know about. I think this is very important consideration in the discussion. I'm pinpointing this to social norms (or perhaps another term is better, but suggest for discussion sake we go with that). I am saying when the (unknown) rule is violated, and is then decided to be a rule for the property, that the violation from management perspective is to probably disallow on the spot, and to inform the party of it being disallowed.

Whereas, government attempts to overcome ambiguity by enumerating things that perceived majority does not accept in public space(s) and pass this ruling onto all public spaces of all properties that are legally accessible to everyone/anyone.

From my perspective, both of them are things to be disputed. I'm up to that discussion when it occurs. I would possibly be very willing to dispute a private property owner or manager who very much appears to me to making decision (or rule) up on the spot. And like many people would dispute the governmental rules. I would be doing this to overcome ambiguity not just on exact wording of the rule, but rationale for why the rule exists at all. I don't think I'm alone in doing this.

I also don't think it is simply "private owner" or "government" involved in this equation, and do think it is various factions within civilization (i.e. liberals or religious right, but for sure more than these two) that would contribute to ambiguity and inconsistencies on such matters.

To the degree I don't dispute these items (which is perhaps most of the time for me), is my personal degree to which I accept "social norms for spaces where members of the public are legally able to visit."

And once that is allowed then the original definitions have been changed to where someone like you can bring into the discussion "what is accepted as 'public spaces'" and then use that altered definition to make some kind of spurious argument. When someone attempts to nail down the actual definitions and what the true separation is between what gov't controls and what private individuals should be able to control given the basis of private property, then they are accused of "using semantics" where the first misuse of semantics was the original ambiguity brought about by the redefininig of terms in order to enact regulations.

I would say original ambiguity is the unwritten rules of anyone, while allowing for the "my house my rules" things to stand as if that is not ever going to be ambiguous and/or inconsistent. Ambiguity would not exist for public spaces if all things were enumerated and made aware to all people in a reasonable fashion, rather than on the spot when violation occurs. If violation occurs and specific rule that is violated cannot be shown to be something that has been previously thought of, then the ambiguity is there. Right there. But because of "my house my rules" logic being perceived as trumping all, or most other rules, then the perception is (IMO), there really ought to be no ambiguity in that moment. In reality, I think it is still there, but people either care to move on or escalate the dispute, in their own way.

And once again, I am saying this ruling on the spot thing stems from any person (or all persons) sense of social norms for spaces where the public is free to congregate. And has been this way, forever.

After reading thru all that I've written, I'm compelled to note that things can, and sometimes do, go the other way. As in ruling on the spot could be to allow. When that occurs, I think it can muck things up, but is usually not realized until later on. Like if manager of bank said, "sure you can vape in here" that would set a precedent that would probably lead to a whole lot of testing by others until that policy (allowing vaping) is enumerated in a specific way. And of course, even after rule is specified, disputes are entirely possible, if not likely.

For me, I think the primary issue here arises from mentality of "my house my rules" when there is zero accommodation for anything that is perceived as going against that. How we change that, I'm not sure. But I have my ideas on what works and what can be done in public spaces where things are disallowed, and yet still occur.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I'll just repeat what I said:

"free minds and markets may 'offend one's sensibilities' but it's not going to harm you or violate your rights. And that's the trade off vs. a police state which mandates or prohibits behavior according to someone's or some group's subjective idea of what is the 'social norm'."

And some might say that the distinction isn't that dramatic - between a culture of freedom and a police state. "Can't there be something in between?"

This is seemingly your rebuttal to what I am saying in this thread. I am compelled to speak to this after my long post, because I do think "police state mentality" comes up from many, I would argue all, private property owners. For sound bite rhetoric, I would say it stands on the "my house my rules" ideology. IOW, within the currently constructed free market (or at point prior to this moment), there are people called property owners that allow their own sensibilities to be offended by a non-harmful action and to disallow things (behaviors, goods) based on same type of mentality, with far less of a scope. But of course, because we have desire to meet with fellow citizens / elected leaders in a common council environment, those things that affect our individual sensibilities get discussed and local (state or national) policies are put into place, in an attempt to disallow it everywhere within that jurisdiction. Yet, in reality it usually does not work out that way. Prime example being that many adults (I would say overwhelming majority) think minors should not be allowed to do whatever. IMO, it really doesn't matter what that is, and does matter that kids don't even get to vote on this. And even with that in the equation, the fact remains that kids are still going to do it. I think that people will still do something after being told they cannot or a law exists saying they cannot, contributes to desire for more of a police state.

All allowing is IMO, the answer to the primary problem, and what free market is theoretically going for. I say theoretically cause I'm yet to see free market work like it is written in theory to happen. Not all people in the market (I would argue none) are all allowing. I don't believe I am, though I strive to be, as I really do think it is the most sensible position.

I also think the kids aspect is central to this discussion when honestly looked at, but because overwhelming majority has made up mind to disallow (whatever) and deny them a vote, it seems way easier to pretend like they don't even have a stake in the matter. Yet because we are them (literally), I think it shows enormous hypocrisy on our part, and creates arguments that are entirely confusing, but accepted in same way any discriminatory policy finds acceptance.

If a free market worked like it is theoretically suppose to, then there would never be a need for a black market. What is the conceivable reason for not allowing say nuclear weapons to be sold on the free market? I believe answer to that inquiry is perception of (mass) harm that could follow. Thus sensibilities would be offended if that were allowed, and is disallowed under what would be police state rationale.

It would be interesting to identify those amongst us that would allow anything (and I literally do mean anything) to be available on the free, open market. I honestly can't say that I could put myself there, but I do believe I would allow more than most, and because of the current police state mentality wouldn't care to list all those things I would be open to allowing as it seems like just discussing it is grounds for punishment to the full extent of the law.

I would also just note that disallowing anything, is very much permitting it. This is counter intuitive, but I think is partially what is creating our reality. Akin to "don't think of a blue zebra." I think by listing what is not allowed, it creates a desire for those things, and if open market will not provide, then another market likely will. In that market, open discussion about safety, ethics and proper use are quite plausibly nowhere to be found. All because of majority believing that disallowing is the righteous way to go.

/soapbox rant

Reactions: AndriaD

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The property rights argument is not a viable resistance to the health fascists, because the courts always uphold the government's right to "protect public health." The property rights argument is really just a position of surrender and retreat, by those who refuse to attack the government's scientific fraud.

"In most instances, courts require that a discriminatory law be “rationally related” to a “legitimate” government goal. This requirement is very easy for the government to meet, since a discriminatory law will be upheld so long as it is not totally irrational or arbitrary... The court upheld the city and state smoking bans since they were rationally related to the legitimate government goal of protecting the public health... Courts are quick to find that smoke-free legislation is rationally related to a legitimate government goal, since they have long held that protecting the public’s health is one of the most essential functions of government."
http://publichealthlawcenter.org/sites/default/files/resources/tclc-syn-constitution-2008_0.pdf

In fact they're worse than just irrational or arbitrary - they're based on deliberate scientific fraud and flagrant political corruption. They are the product of malice, with an intent to harm smokers' liberties, and "public health" is just a pretext.

Agree with all this, but also just seems that challenging scientific fraud is thus far not showing up like a viable resistance to health fascists. It seems only fellow scientists can do this, and when majority of current scientists are upholding the fraud, then what is layperson (who understands the science) to do?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I am saying this ambiguity exists for everyone and have cited a number of examples where I can see it arising.

I'll just re-quote what I said regarding the 'mistake/abiguity' that many make. Further lengthy examples aren't necessary:

I don't doubt, that the use of 'public' isn't a common mistake - I know 'public school teachers' who have no idea that they are government employees, but that doesn't justify any sensible person who actually knows the difference in using it when discussing the issues that actually define it.

You keep putting rules in quotes

It's to emphasize the difference between rules that a private owner may make vs. laws that the gov't makes. As far as the bit about, paraphrasing 'not knowing what the rules may be in a bank or elsewhere' - ASK! That takes away the 'ambiguity'. If someone doesn't do that, then that's their problem. If enough don't - then the owner will likely post the rules. And whether or not you like it, your sense of 'social norms' isn't widely accepted - just watch people act. "Norm" has to have some definition along the line of 'average' and there is no such thing wrt humans, regardless of whether you or Bill O'Reilly (another big one "social norms") think there should be. And.... when people like that get so 'disturbed'... they start asking for laws rather than rules.

As for your next post:
This is seemingly your rebuttal to what I am saying in this thread.

No. That was a reply to DC2 and what he was saying, not you. I didn't read further....

Reactions: LaraC

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
It's to emphasize the difference between rules that a private owner may make vs. laws that the gov't makes. As far as the bit about, paraphrasing 'not knowing what the rules may be in a bank or elsewhere' - ASK! That takes away the 'ambiguity'.

It definitely does not. It may take away uncertainty around whether or not they will allow it, but not for why the rule is in place. If you think this is surefire way to remove ambiguity, I'd be glad to do this with regards to vaping, and you can choose type of place and I'll go ask whether they have the rule. But to be clear, I'd very much want to know if it is rule/policy they have written down or are just making up on the spot. If written down, then less ambiguity. If making up on the spot, then pretty much everything I'm saying on this tangent is viable. It would tell me they are making up a rule (there and then) based on social norms.

Even if written down (but for sure if not), I'd want to challenge the rule or understand why it was put in there. I'm sure you realize for vaping it would be based on something along lines of, "because we say so." Hence the ambiguity.

That a rule might exist is part of what we are discussing, perhaps the main point. I'm saying the rule would very likely be based on social norms, and perception that this could be a nuisance to someone, and not based on actual point of harm. I would also say it is likely inconsistent with other possible 'rules' the same establishment has that could be a nuisance to someone.

In this way, I'm not sure how vastly different it is than laws gov't makes, but do realize key difference is gov't is going to make those rules based on what it perceives to be majority opinion, thus no say by private entity to go against that, even if all people visiting that would like for the opposite of the rule to be the policy.

So, if say private place says no vaping because, well, because we say so, and gov't place says no vaping because (according to ANTZ rhetoric) SHV is dangerous, then in effect, to me the consumer, the policies are the same. But honestly, the governmental position seems easier to overcome if I have any desire to go to that place in the future with possibility of being able to openly vape there.

But because I have my own rules at work, which are best described as "vape everywhere with respect," then the idea of rules set up to disallow vaping are very likely not going to affect me. How can I be so sure they won't affect me? Because in my 4+ years of vaping, I am still batting 1.000 by going this route. I'm one who will advocate to vape indoors in hospitals. I'm fairly sure what the rules are there without asking. Wouldn't matter to me who is making the policy, even while it would matter to me why they might disallow it. But because I'm fairly confident there is no genuine desire to discuss this, then I don't ask, vape there with respect to others, know I very likely won't even be noticed and just realize this whole public space thing has so many factors to it that discussing it is sometimes pointless.

IOW, some rules (private or otherwise) were meant to be broken.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Hey Jman.

Laws made by a system as corrupt as ours are pretty arbitrary. I really consider the States monopoly on force to be telling....if the rules made sense, why would we need to militarize our police force?

I respect property owners wishes on my vaping, but I ignore the laws banning it. In my mind, these laws are unethical.

I do think there are ban-minded elements in our federal government. Who knows if they will ever have success enacting any bans on the federal level....

Roaring via Tapatalk.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Hey Jman.

Laws made by a system as corrupt as ours are pretty arbitrary. I really consider the States monopoly on force to be telling....if the rules made sense, why would we need to militarize our police force?

I respect property owners wishes on my vaping, but I ignore the laws banning it. In my mind, these laws are unethical.

I do think there are ban-minded elements in our federal government. Who knows if they will ever have success enacting any bans on the federal level....

Roaring via Tapatalk.

Hey Ed (long time no see).

All vaping prohibitions I've encountered thus far show up as arbitrary. "My house, my rules" doesn't satisfy me. I may respect that decision, and I may not due to how arbitrary it is. I get the public space or common area thing for any location and can see reasons for why not to openly vape in just any location. But if that place has any space where I can go and be private (i.e. restroom), then suddenly the "because I said so" rule is something I no longer will respect, especially if there are no supporting reasons and no desire to discuss it. To me, that is unethical and not worthy of respect.

To me that is 'just the way it is' and that I'm still batting 1.000 tells me that I must be okay with this way of doing things. Vaping everywhere with respect has its merits.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
But if that place has any space where I can go and be private (i.e. restroom), then suddenly the "because I said so" rule is something I no longer will respect, especially if there are no supporting reasons and no desire to discuss it. To me, that is unethical and not worthy of respect.

An owner of private property has no obligation to you or anyone else as to the reason why they have rules. Just the fact that it is private property demands respect. If not, then any property of yours is up for grabs or for a violation of your rules no matter how 'rational' you think they are. (If you only mean that you wouldn't respect it but not violate it, that's another matter. )

If you don't agree, then you've come full circle of all the talk about 'social norms' in banks, etc. above where a breaking of them was offensive to you.

The fact is, nobody with private property has to justify any rules written or not. You can ask, but there is no obligation to answer. Whereas gov't does. Again, an attempt to conflate public with private/vice and crime.

Reactions: Rossum

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
An owner of private property has no obligation to you or anyone else as to the reason why they have rules. Just the fact that it is private property demands respect. If not, then any property of yours is up for grabs or for a violation of your rules no matter how 'rational' you think they are. (If you only mean that you wouldn't respect it but not violate it, that's another matter. )

If you don't agree, then you've come full circle of all the talk about 'social norms' in banks, etc. above where a breaking of them was offensive to you.

The fact is, nobody with private property has to justify any rules written or not. You can ask, but there is no obligation to answer. Whereas gov't does. Again, an attempt to conflate public with private/vice and crime.

I would call it immoral or unprincipled to not provide a rationale as to why something is disallowed. It is certainly not worthy of respect. I would agree that any property of mine is up for grabs, but only if there are no rules in place and it is not open for discussion. Whether anyone succeeds in taking what is up for grabs is another matter, but I wish to make clear that disallowing it and offering zero opportunity to discuss it is not worthy of respect.

Saying any/every rule has no obligation to be supported with justification is you making up a rule. I also realize it may be normal in many places in society, but is clearly police state mentality. It is desire to suppress a behavior because it goes against the owner's sensibilities (aka their social norm). It is precisely the type of rules that are meant to be broken. You (anyone) thinking they have no obligation to explain why vaping is disallowed in their place, means (to me) I have no obligation to respect such a decision, nor to volunteer information regarding whether I observe the rule being broken, or whether I choose to break it. Thus, it becomes a catch me/us if you can situation.

You'll have to do a better job in explaining how you think I've come full circle on talk of social norms, and where I expressed being offended previously.

In my experience, more often than not, rules are explained if they are previously established and written down anywhere. It is only logical that if someone has taken time to make the rule, they have a REASON for doing so, and are usually very willing to share that rationale for those who care to discuss it.

But also in my experience with vaping in public, the times I have asked and been told no, have almost always been based on what I perceived to be a rule being made up at the time of my asking. The few times it has not been this way and instead was a rule that I was either told it has been established as policy or I determined was this way, it came with a degree of respect (from them). Even in those instances, I found it based on nothing substantial. An example is when I asked at some national chain type business, the manager said, "hey, if it were up to me, I'd allow it. But our headquarters in (some other city) have made it a policy to disallow it. Perhaps you might speak to them."

As you are the one who keeps conflating property rights with my point of social norms in public spaces, I'll state what I feel I've already said:

- I do not believe public space has been redefined and has been a societal norm since human civilization has first existed
- I believe social norms hold an expectation that certain behaviors should not occur in public space
- A public space is any place where humans may congregate, and is generally any place where people are openly welcomed to visit, and that in most cases (though not all) the people who may visit could conceivably be strangers to each other
- If any establishment has areas/rooms where people are not welcomed and/or are set up as areas for private activities, then these are not public spaces. A bar that is privately owned would have it's bar room as a public space while its office area would be a private area. Bathrooms would also be areas where it is readily established as area for privacy
- Various groups (too many to name) have own version of what makes for normal behavior in a public space, and pretty much all of them that I am aware of have behaviors they would disallow / not like to occur in a public area
- All individuals (or overwhelming majority, includes myself) have sensibilities that say what is okay, not okay to do in public spaces
- For most part, all possible rules on what is not allowed are not explained or listed in writing as it would be very hard (probably impossible) to cover every possible action
- Rules / policies for public spaces have gotten worse due to nanny state type people who can/do influence public policy. For vaping, we call these people ANTZ and they have been very vocal in their opposition to allow vaping anywhere indoors in any public space.
- Unexplained or under-explained rules that do not justify why something is disallowed are not worthy of respect and are the type of rules that are meant to be broken
- I will continue to advocate for vaping everywhere with respect. If a property manager or owner is of the opinion they do not owe me an explanation as to why they disallow vaping, then in my mind they just invited me to violate their rule, and I feel very confident they won't even know I did. Vaping everywhere with respect has great merit.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Saying any/every rule has no obligation to be supported with justification is you making up a rule.

:facepalm: I'm saying that an owner of private property doesn't have to explain anything if he doesn't have to, as long as he's not violating laws or physically harming someone. Laws by gov'ts have to be justified but no private individual has any obligation to tell anyone their private thoughts on matters or any reasons why they take a particular stand. Not only do you not understand the difference between 'public' and 'private', but also the idea of freedom of thought.

This isn't me, saying this - it's the history of freedom and the definition of it.

Invoking Mark Twain... I'm outta here on this subject.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Agree with all this, but also just seems that challenging scientific fraud is thus far not showing up like a viable resistance to health fascists. It seems only fellow scientists can do this, and when majority of current scientists are upholding the fraud, then what is layperson (who understands the science) to do?
Money to pay lawyers is the issue. Studies provide the evidence. And you must be completely suckered by mass media propaganda. You must think they're telling you the whole story, if you think you're qualified to render an informed opinion of what some "majority of current scientists" believe or not!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Not only do you not understand the difference between 'public' and 'private', but also the idea of freedom of thought.

Fairly certain I understand both far better than you ever may.

Glad you are bowing out (for a second time). We agree on too much other stuff to let your lack of understanding my points on this subject get in the way.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Money to pay lawyers is the issue. Studies provide the evidence. And you must be completely suckered by mass media propaganda. You must think they're telling you the whole story, if you think you're qualified to render an informed opinion of what some "majority of current scientists" believe or not!

Well now I'm just confused by what you wrote in post #65 as it relates to this.

A layperson such as myself is to get money to lawyers and that will overcome public policy that shames / violates smoker's (rights)?

It's nice to have two posts in row telling me exactly what I think and believe.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Well now I'm just confused by what you wrote in post #65 as it relates to this.

A layperson such as myself is to get money to lawyers and that will overcome public policy that shames / violates smoker's (rights)?

It's nice to have two posts in row telling me exactly what I think and believe.

I find your disregard of personal property owner's rules (at least when it comes to vaping) to be interesting, and the logic that drives you on this is at least understandable. I don't agree with it (for me), but I don't find it in any way bothersome if you have this policy for yourself.

If it works for you, go with it, Jman.

I do have one question, if you will indulge...

Do you disregard the owner's rules for other things, too, or is it just for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread