What is the Most recommended % of Flavor when DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeHacker

Aug 18, 2016
Hi Vapers !

I wanted to ask the experienced Alchemists a question,

As i am starting to get involved with DIY with ejuice, i wanted to increase my education level by asking below questions : any advise and answer is always appreciated :thumb:

1) What is the percentage % of Flavor that is mostly suggested when making ejuice ?
ie. from the 100% ( PG ) ( VG ) ( Nicotine ) -- > what is the % of flavor you advise for best liquid vape,

My insights so far : i understood that 25-30 % of Flavor and preferably PG mix is the most used and satisfactory.

well for now this is what i was seeking mainly.

Thanking you in advance !

Vape On !:headbang:

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Hi Vapers !

I wanted to ask the experienced Alchemists a question,

As i am starting to get involved with DIY with ejuice, i wanted to increase my education level by asking below questions : any advise and answer is always appreciated :thumb:

1) What is the percentage % of Flavor that is mostly suggested when making ejuice ?
ie. from the 100% ( PG ) ( VG ) ( Nicotine ) -- > what is the % of flavor you advise for best liquid vape,

My insights so far : i understood that 25-30 % of Flavor and preferably PG mix is the most used and satisfactory.

well for now this is what i was seeking mainly.

Thanking you in advance !

Vape On !:headbang:

Basic idea http://forum...................../t/tpa-tfa-signature-starting-percentages/21185
but when adding to your main profile flavor, the add on's ( for 2 or 3 flavour mixes) will be at least 1 - 2 x's less

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida

VapeHacker

Aug 18, 2016
25-30 percent is way to much flavoring to start out with. I would start at a much lower percentage as you can always add more.
Indeed, i will have to agree with the fact that i can aim low percentage and if it needs more then add up to it, however its important to write things down also so i can always have that extra amendments in order to perfect the ejuice.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
There's no such thing as a "most recommended % of flavour". It totally depends on the flavour itself. Some are fine at 1% or even below, others require 10%. I would never buy a flavour that recommends 15% or more (too diluted - money grabbers).
Recommended is just a starting point, "You" may like a flavor at 5%, but I may like it at 12%, everyone's taste are different. Like I said, Recommended is just a starting point. YMMV :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Vaping Cyprus - The recipes I like the best, have a pretty broad range of total flavoring percentages. Some are made with a total of only 9-10% flavoring. Others are as high as 27-30%. Still others fall in between those 2 ranges.

A lot depends upon which particular flavorings are in the recipe, and which manufacturers have made each one of them. You'll find, for example, that 1 company may make a "banana" flavoring that's fairly strong, while "banana" from another company may be much weaker. Something else that may make a difference is - One may use ethyl alcohol in a flavoring, while the same flavoring from another company may not have ethyl alcohol in it.

You really need to read the ingredients that are in each flavoring, the company's recommended starting % for the flavoring, and also maybe some recommendations from others who have used that same flavoring as well. However, know that people's taste preferences vary greatly, as does how well their sense of taste still works.

The above things are why it's a good idea, when trying a new recipe for the first time, to make a small test batch of it first...about 3-5mL in size. It's much easier to "tweak" or adjust that sample to your liking, (while taking notes on any changes you make in it as you go along), and then use those results & notes to make a bigger batch. Doing the taste test to adjust each new recipe I make...I've never had a "flush-worthy" batch since I've started DIY. Everything has been made to my own taste and therefore gives me a very satisfying vape.

Good luck and have fun while you're DIYing. It's not as difficult as many people think it is!

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Seek the site which cannot be named. You will find good notes and recommended percentages.

Most likely that is correct, but ECF for some reason blocks that site, which is why I put in how to google and get it. :)

I read that somebody was posting secret somethings there. ;)

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    With a new recipe, I make a 5ml testing sample. After I have let it steep, I try it and make notes on what to change.

I keep making a 5ml bottle's worth until I think I am happy with the recipe. Then, I make 30 or 50ml.

I keep a lot of notes on the computer, that is a must.

Good luck.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    I absolutely am NOT a "experienced Alchemist" and very new to DIY. But right or wrong, here is what I do.....

I tried (and liked BTW) unflavored at my desired nic/PG/VG ratio. Vaped it a while to establish "a base", if you will. Then I start a flavor at 5% (actually started at 2% until it seemed I tasted pretty much nothing with several flavors) and work my way up from there. Now having been given a list like @JimZet gave, I will be adjusting my starting points for the brand of flavor used.

Yeah, it takes a bit of time, but that is something I seem to have plenty of lying around :). But the journey is fun, I haven't had anything unvapable yet, and at the miniscule cost it gives me something to do......much better then yard work! :D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    25-30% is ridiculous. Waaaaaaaay too much

Well, that's 1 of the things that's so great about DIY...everyone can have their own opinions on mixing methods, % of flavorings to use, favorite flavorings, etc.

When I first started DIY, I read lots of Bill's Magic Vapor blogs, his posts in the various discussions, and I copied and saved much of his info., tips, recipes, etc. to files on my PC. Figured since he was a longtime, very experienced, eliquid maker (used to do it commercially, too)...he knew what he was talking about.

Many of his recipes use what would be considered high flavoring % in them by some people. He discusses why he does that, the advantages of it, etc. in his blogs. It works for him, for many others, and for me.

So, as I said, everyone has the right to his/her own opinion! There IS no set total flavoring % that is "right", or what everyone should use. If 25-30% is ridiculous and waaaaaaaay too much - that's only your opinion.

JimZet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 31, 2015
    Well, that's 1 of the things that's so great about DIY...everyone can have their own opinions on mixing methods, % of flavorings to use, favorite flavorings, etc.

When I first started DIY, I read lots of Bill's Magic Vapor blogs, his posts in the various discussions, and I copied and saved much of his info., tips, recipes, etc. to files on my PC. Figured since he was a longtime, very experienced, eliquid maker (used to do it commercially, too)...he knew what he was talking about.

Many of his recipes use what would be considered high flavoring % in them by some people. He discusses why he does that, the advantages of it, etc. in his blogs. It works for him, for many others, and for me.

So, as I said, everyone has the right to his/her own opinion! There IS no set total flavoring % that is "right", or what everyone should use. If 25-30% is ridiculous and waaaaaaaay too much - that's only your opinion.
    True but not 25%-30% for sure.
    I can't imagine myself having 30% of 100ml bottle just a flavoring. Haven't even saw or heard about juice like that. Maximum i ever heard of is around 18% in total of 10+ different flavorings, which is already odd and over bulked.
    But ofc everyone have own taste, maybe some people even vape pure flavorings :p no vapor but definitely perfume smell & taste :p

Some might use high amount of flavorings that contain PG, but we're talking about pure flavorings.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread