Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've only used nic from ecigexpress so I can't talk about using nic from different vendors. But ... the nic I bought initially was entirely PG. The next time I bought some it was a 50/50 PG/VG blend. Didn't change the flavour. Questions:

What strength is your finished juice?

I started out making 25mg juice. Then as I became more a sub ohm guy I started lowering the nic% so I wouldn't blow my head off. Since the nic level is now in the 4 - 6 mg range I don't think nic from a different vendor would change the taste of the juice that much.

How do you store your nic? Mine stays in the freezer.

How do you store your flavourings? Mine stay in the fridge.

I only make "tobacco" flavoured juice so I can't write about other more complicated DIY e-liquids. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Regarding flavors in frig. I'll paste something I saved below:

I ASKED:
"While I plan to freeze some of my 70vg/30pg NIC stock, I was told NOT to even refrigerate the flavorings and other items like sweeteners (Ethyl Maltol etc.).
Wondering what the approx. shelf life is for those ingredients?"
++++++++++++
Vapin-Chemist on ECF: (Ask The Chemist)
WROTE:

Most manufacturers give a shelf life of about 12 months, but technically flavors never go "bad". I also talked about this in post #35. Yes, you should not store your flavors in the refrigerator because it will lower the saturation point of the liquid and ingredients will start precipitating out of the solution.

Technically no, flavors do not go bad like you think of with food or drinks. Flavors do change over time having an effect on the taste of the flavor. We suggest that flavors be used within 9 months of purchase for best results. As far as storage goes, flavors are best stored in glass over plastic (which is why we sell our 10, 30, and 120 mL bottles of flavorings in glass) because flavors can react with the plastic and ruin both the plastic and the flavor. Also, they should be stored in a cool, dark place (not the refrigerator).

roniironii

Aug 25, 2016
I've only used nic from ecigexpress so I can't talk about using nic from different vendors. But ... the nic I bought initially was entirely PG. The next time I bought some it was a 50/50 PG/VG blend. Didn't change the flavour. Questions:

What strength is your finished juice?

I started out making 25mg juice. Then as I became more a sub ohm guy I started lowering the nic% so I wouldn't blow my head off. Since the nic level is now in the 4 - 6 mg range I don't think nic from a different vendor would change the taste of the juice that much.

How do you store your nic? Mine stays in the freezer.

How do you store your flavourings? Mine stay in the fridge.

I only make "tobacco" flavoured juice so I can't write about other more complicated DIY e-liquids. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Well, I am kinda the 3-6mg guy, been making a lot using nicvape and just switched to RTS NIC ( a lot cheaper than nicvape).. I keep all my ingredients in my dark cabinet, so far so good, only when I switched to the RTS it all went wrong..
nicotine has expiration date right? so how do we know if the nicotine has expired (maybe from the chemical reaction when mixed with flavor, or the taste)?
anyway, thanks bobalex...

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
You folks have any advice?

I'm finding the US action is slowly loosening the polycone caps on my bottles. It's been awhile, finally got my DIY act together, supplies are all in, NIC, flavors, bottles, etc. haven't been steeping my juices as I'm just getting started and as I get close to a decent recipe that's decent then they will get the 2-3 hour US treatment.

But awhile back, I did a test with a 15ml glass bottle with polycone cap with food coloring in it. Left in US basket, just under the water line. The US action slowly loosened the cap, and I could see the color in the water tank.

Today I'm using a juice I just made, now I'm hanging the same size bottle from the top with the cap, just out of the water, bottle submerged. After the first hour, I checked the cap, it was loose, but no water got in and no juice got out. I can't really make the caps any tighter, as most of you know, if you overtighten these polycone caps the plastic will break.

Is there a better container type to use? I mix by weight right into these bottles, but I may have to transfer the juice to something better, that would resist the cap slowly opening up. How are you folks doing this?

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Only fill your UC to the juice level.

That's what I was going to say.

My unit has to be filled up to 1" from the top. In fact most US units has a minimum fill line. Less water then that and you risk real damage to the unit. Even with just my bottle in the water, not the cap, there is enough US action, to loosen the cap over time.

Perhaps there is a better choice of vessels to steep in?

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
My unit has to be filled up to 1" from the top. In fact most US units has a minimum fill line. Less water then that and you risk real damage to the unit. Even with just my bottle in the water, not the cap, there is enough US action, to loosen the cap over time.

Perhaps there is a better choice of vessels to steep in?
Not sure how much you are willing to spend but I use lab bottles from Corning and I think it is impossible for them to leak.
They have pour rings which makes transferring liquids simple without the need to use a funnel.

Last edited:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Not sure how much you are willing to spend but I use lab bottles from Corning and I think it is impossible for them to leak.
They have pour rings which makes transferring liquids simple without the need to use a funnel.

Not sure what you mean by "lab bottles", as there are many types. Got a link or photo of what you are using? Thanks

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Not sure what you mean by "lab bottles", as there are many types. Got a link or photo of what you are using? Thanks

Sorry, wrong term. Corning media bottles.
Stick some in your cart at Amazon and then wait for the right price. I almost always get them using that method for close to 1/3 of the regular price and sometimes even below a 1/4 of the price.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Sorry, wrong term. Corning media bottles.
Stick some in your cart at Amazon and then wait for the right price. I almost always get them using that method for close to 1/3 of the regular price and sometimes even below a 1/4 of the price.

They look interesting. Do you think the caps will stay tight on these, versus the glass bottle polycone caps?

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
They look interesting. Do you think the caps will stay tight on these, versus the glass bottle polycone caps?
I would almost guarantee it.
There is no rubber seal on these so nothing to wear out.
There is a tapered lip on the cap that ensures a perfect seal.

I use them submerged in the UC all the time while steeping my juice.
They are also bottom heavy which helps them stay submerged straight up instead of trying to float and turning sideways. I always leave a good amount of head space when mixing so that shaking is more effective.

I was sold on these from first use and then doubly sold on them when one fell onto a tile floor and bounced, but didn't break. Guess it hit the floor just right.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I would almost guarantee it.
There is no rubber seal on these so nothing to wear out.
There is a tapered lip on the cap that ensures a perfect seal.

I use them submerged in the UC all the time while steeping my juice.
They are also bottom heavy which helps them stay submerged straight up instead of trying to float and turning sideways. I always leave a good amount of head space when mixing so that shaking is more effective.

I was sold on these from first use and then doubly sold on them when one fell onto a tile floor and bounced, but didn't break. Guess it hit the floor just right.

Thanks again, if you used them submerged, that's all I need to know. I looked on Amazon, saw 100ml size, but smaller ones were no longer being sold for some reason. I'll find some 50ml, those would be good for my 30ml finals. Right now it's tough with my 15ml sample/test batches in the US machine. THANKS!

BTW: what's the smallest size you use?

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Thanks again, if you used them submerged, that's all I need to know. I looked on Amazon, saw 100ml size, but smaller ones were no longer being sold for some reason. I'll find some 50ml, those would be good for my 30ml finals. Right now it's tough with my 15ml sample/test batches in the US machine. THANKS!

BTW: what's the smallest size you use?

The smallest I have is the 25ml size. I only use that size for really small 10ml test mixes.
These media bottles have plenty of head room for ample effect when shaking after the mix.

I have several of each of the different sizes that Corning makes.
25ml for 10ml mixes-
50ml for 30ml mixes-
100ml for 60ml mixes-
150ml for 120ml mixes-
And higher still for 480ml mixes.

Here is the link for the 25ml size.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DGIGM6/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Here is the list of all of them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T2H5B9C/ref=biss_dp_sa1

Again, don’t go by the price there as you have to do what I suggested above about putting them in your cart and wait for the price to drop. It always has for me but it can take weeks for the price to go down. But who the heck wants to pay that much for bottles, if you can wait and get them for a fraction of the cost?

See my example below of what I paid for some of the 250ml size vs what they cost full price today.

Right now the 250ml bottles are going for $89- (BTW, this is still a cheap price compared to other online retailers)

i-kZWgzhZ.jpg

A while back I paid $28 for each of the two cases of ten that I purchased. That is about 1/4 of the normal price for that size.

i-mkBXzbn.jpg

Good luck and let me know what you think of the bottles if you decide to get any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread