Not open for further replies.

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
Question. Do you think it would be beneficial in any way to put the e-juice in a ziploc with a weight of some sort to submerge it in water prior to the ultrasonic? I'm just concerned with water getting inside the bottles. Probably would't happen since the caps are tight, or perhaps wrap each bottle in saran wrap?

I realize this thread is a bit older, and there's a part III now (which I'm still reading through) which is probably more current, but I wanted to address the comment about the ziplock baggie.

I decided I wanted to try to speed steep a few of the juices I ordered and received from vendors, but because several of them had labels that would probably be ruined by the ink running in the ultrasonic soak, I decided to place the group of them in a ziplock baggie before placing them in the ultrasonic for steeping. It seemed to do the trick well, keeping the labels dry while still doing the ultrasonic steeping. :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I realize this thread is a bit older, and there's a part III now (which I'm still reading through) which is probably more current, but I wanted to address the comment about the ziplock baggie.

I decided I wanted to try to speed steep a few of the juices I ordered and received from vendors, but because several of them had labels that would probably be ruined by the ink running in the ultrasonic soak, I decided to place the group of them in a ziplock baggie before placing them in the ultrasonic for steeping. It seemed to do the trick well, keeping the labels dry while still doing the ultrasonic steeping. :)

Keeping labels intact has always been a battle when using a UC. One suggestion which I have not yet tried may be to coat your lables with clear nail polish. Overlap the edge of the lable onto the bottle so moisture doesn't get under the label. This may seem like a pain in the .... for store bought juice that you'll use up eventually and toss the bottle but for those that reuse bottles this may work great.

Last edited:

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was actually thinking about getting an ultra sonic cleaner for cleaning clearomizers and tanks, but this is brilliant!

I put a couple of clearomizers/tanks in the UC and found if there are micro-mini-seemingly-invisible-to-the-naked-eye cracks in the clearomizers/tanks ... a session in the UC makes them visible. And Then They Leak. Your mileage may vary depending on the tank/clearo.

I originally got a UC for cleaning cartos. That seemed to be hit or miss. Then I thought a UC might make steeping go faster. That application of the UC worked.

randomhousegir

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Riverton, Utah

I use a brother labeler and my labels survive heat better than my bottles. If you have one around it may be worth using

KimchiMonger

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
Dallas, TX
It seems to do the job better and even though I'm still hopping up every 8 minutes ... it's not as bad.You'll have great results. And my definition of Great Results is: Juice in a day or two instead of 2 - 3 weeks.

Thanks for enlightening me on the steeping mystery with ultrasonic cleaner. How many of these 8 minute cycles do you run on your steeping bottles?

I just found this cleaner you can dial in cleaning times up to 480 seconds or 8 mins for $33.00 + $6.99 S/H

Amazon.com: Kendal Large Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner for Jewelry Watch DVD with 750ml tank 3818: Home & Kitchen

I think I'll get one this weekend and give this speeding process a try. Would sure help with my tobacco recipes!

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
... How many of these 8 minute cycles do you run on your steeping bottles?

Well ... ultimately I run the UC for 2-3 hours so it comes out to 22-23 cycles. If you've already purchased it ... cool ... but if you haven't shelled out the cash yet you might want to consider this one a DIY'er posted in the UC part III thread:

Amazon.com: Hagerty Digital True Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Machine: Health & Personal Care

It has a 60 minute timer. I spent waaaaaaaay more on this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

And I wish I could reset the UC 2 - 3 times instead of 23 times. Ultimately I can't complain because The Juice Is Great! plus I'm stuck with it until it croaks.

KimchiMonger

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
Dallas, TX
bobalex, you're right about the difference in models. Will order the other instead. Looking forward to putting some of these 30ml bottles of tobacco gold in there. Any amount of time in a ultrasonic device would be grand! As you may know, some of these tobacco flavors are extremely unforgiving if not given time to blossom. The best I can do for a quick fix is 2.5 tobacco (any flavor) and 2.5 EM but still a little harsh. My other tobaccos that were given 3-4 weeks and several hot water baths deliver beautiful magic. Again, thank you for your awesome insight!

VegasDealer

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Las Vegas
I posted about this months ago and here's an update:

The e-liquid I make is 100% PG and the nic strength is 24-25mg. The suggested amount of tobacco flavoring to use is 1 - 2%. I found that if I put the bottled e-liquid in an ultrasonic cleaner and give it 30 minutes or so ... it took about a week off my 3 week steep time.

I used this cleaner:

Amazon.com: Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Cleaning Machine-White/Gray: Electronics

It wasn't very big, the cycle only lasted 3 minutes, and it didn't like too many repeated cycles without needing a "rest."

So ...

I did what all ecig and computer geeks do. I upgraded:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

It holds 2.5 liters instead of 2 cups, has 8 minute cycles instead of 3, and a heater option. I have to give the bottles a "warm bath" anyway ... might as well do that while the e-liquid is vibrating.

Yesterday I made three batches of juice resulting in six 70ml bottles. I wrapped a rubber band around the bottles so they'd stay put while vibrating, plopped 'em in the cleaner, and added water to just under the "max" line. Set the time for 480 seconds, pushed the heat option, and let 'er go.

Every time i passed through the kitchen yesterday I put it through another 8-minute cycle. Every other one without heat. I dunno how many cycles I gave it. Anywhere from 8 - 12 times I guess. This morning I sampled the 3 flavors: Desert Ship (FlavorArt), Cowboy (FlavorArt), and Tobacco (ecigexpess Signature). The Cowboy and the tobacco flavors are "there." Desert Ship ... almost.

Today I ran it through another 8 - 12 cycles. I'll see tomorrow where the Desert Ship is at.

But for someone like me with nooooo patience ... This Is Great!

Just went out and purchased the one from Har Freight, was $82, but I had a 25% off coupon! Now the wife wants it for her jewelry!
Do you use it with the caps on or off? I have four bottles in it atm with caps off and heat on.

cremonies

Aug 28, 2013
IL, USA
So I bought a UC. I see the ripples on the water. I was making small batches 5ml but i dont think these will work will in it. I was wondering can you over load the machine with too many bottles to where it doesnt shake the liquid?

I put 4 15ml bottles in and some will have tons of microbubbles shaking around while one or two has none.
are the microbubbles good or does it really not matter?

Put them all in the middle, spaced out?

I have the tray in, dont know why. No heat.

I have the 4810 model
any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think ultrasonic cleansing is the "snake oil" of the ecig world.

Well ... if you read through all 85 pages (so far) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/348635-steeping-times-ultrasonic-cleaner-part-iii.html you won't find anyone who has tried using an ultrasonic cleaner for speed steeping their juices complaining that it didn't work.

Here's the bottom line: DIY tobacco flavors took me 3-4 weeks of steeping to finally "mature" enough so I could vape 'em. Using an ultrasonic cleaner for 3 - 4 hours (with 100% PG, 4 - 5 for 70/30 PG/VG mix) gave me the same results.

Snake Oil? Hardly. For a lazy, impatient DIY-er like myself ... it's been what's kept me making my own stuff vs. buying retail. I spent around 90 bucks for a UC with an 8 minute max timer. If I would have Googled and clicked around a bit longer I would have found this unit:

Amazon.com: Joy4Less Professional Grade Ultrasonic Cleaner 4810, 30-min Timer, Plastic Basket: Electronics

Is it worth it to fork out $82.99 and steep for hours instead of weeks? Abso-freakin'-lutely!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I think ultrasonic cleansing is the "snake oil" of the ecig world.

Why would you ever say that and not give any other explanation for your comment. Obviously you have not done nearly enough research yet to be an expert on the subject.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
So I bought a UC. I see the ripples on the water. I was making small batches 5ml but i dont think these will work will in it. I was wondering can you over load the machine with too many bottles to where it doesnt shake the liquid?

I put 4 15ml bottles in and some will have tons of microbubbles shaking around while one or two has none.
are the microbubbles good or does it really not matter?

Put them all in the middle, spaced out?

I have the tray in, dont know why. No heat.

I have the 4810 model
any help is much appreciated.

Microbubbles are not an issue. Where there located in the tank and if there spaced out should not matter with that model. Using a basket only increases the steep time by a few cycles.

Give a little more detail on how your steeping.

Are you using glass bottles?
How long have you steeped the juice for?
what kind of mix are you making? (flavor, %, manafacture of flavor etc..)
Do you start off with warm water?
Have you actually completed a steep and saw the results?
How full is the water. (Should be to the top of the bottles or at least to the MAX line).
I use the 4810 and it works great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread