Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wllmc

Moved On
Oct 29, 2013
colorado springs co
real new to diy and just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing this. my question is im wanting to make a few test batches of some new flavors. if i just did a small 5ml batch the time in the cleaner would be drastically reduced right ? ive read and read these post but its alot of information to try and go back and find things sometimes lol... again thank you for sharing your process

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok how important is a heat option? I have found a sonic cleaner that has no timer so it will run until you turn it off. but there is not a heat option.
Any input?

The heat cycle isn't important. In fact the water warms up during the UC cycle. I've read somewhere in these posts that running a UC longer than 30 minutes at a time wears out the transducer faster. Keep an eye on the time and you shouldn't have a problem.

disco180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
New York
If you do have a UC with a 30 minute timer make sure that you let the UC rest between cycles, usually letting the water cool back to room temp before the next cycle is ample rest for your UC. If you feel like you have to run continually cycles (IDK why) you just change the water out with cooler water. Good Luck on using your UC and welcome.

cremonies

Aug 28, 2013
IL, USA
Microbubbles are not an issue. Where there located in the tank and if there spaced out should not matter with that model. Using a basket only increases the steep time by a few cycles.

Sorry I havent replied. I gave up on the 5ml bottles and only make 10/15ml bottles now.

Are you using glass bottles?
Plastic bottles (glass are too expensive)
How long have you steeped the juice for?
I tend to do 2 - 3 cycles for fruits and let them sit a few days if they have creams.
what kind of mix are you making? (flavor, %, manafacture of flavor etc..)
flavor ~15/20%, TFA only.
Ive been messing around with AG/VG/PG raitos (35pg, 40AG, 25VG)
Do you start off with warm water?
I use the basket cause the metal will weaken the plastic bottles.
Have you actually completed a steep and saw the results?
Ive never really seen a color change except blueberry turning black weeks later.
How full is the water. (Should be to the top of the bottles or at least to the MAX line).
I only fill until the water meets with the eliquid line in the bottle so they wont float around in the bath. (about half full of water)

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I posted about this months ago and here's an update:

The e-liquid I make is 100% PG and the nic strength is 24-25mg. The suggested amount of tobacco flavoring to use is 1 - 2%. I found that if I put the bottled e-liquid in an ultrasonic cleaner and give it 30 minutes or so ... it took about a week off my 3 week steep time.

I used this cleaner:

Amazon.com: Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Cleaning Machine-White/Gray: Electronics

It wasn't very big, the cycle only lasted 3 minutes, and it didn't like too many repeated cycles without needing a "rest."

So ...

I did what all ecig and computer geeks do. I upgraded:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

It holds 2.5 liters instead of 2 cups, has 8 minute cycles instead of 3, and a heater option. I have to give the bottles a "warm bath" anyway ... might as well do that while the e-liquid is vibrating.

Yesterday I made three batches of juice resulting in six 70ml bottles. I wrapped a rubber band around the bottles so they'd stay put while vibrating, plopped 'em in the cleaner, and added water to just under the "max" line. Set the time for 480 seconds, pushed the heat option, and let 'er go.

Every time i passed through the kitchen yesterday I put it through another 8-minute cycle. Every other one without heat. I dunno how many cycles I gave it. Anywhere from 8 - 12 times I guess. This morning I sampled the 3 flavors: Desert Ship (FlavorArt), Cowboy (FlavorArt), and Tobacco (ecigexpess Signature). The Cowboy and the tobacco flavors are "there." Desert Ship ... almost.

Today I ran it through another 8 - 12 cycles. I'll see tomorrow where the Desert Ship is at.

But for someone like me with nooooo patience ... This Is Great!

I would think this would be of value for cleaning new stainless steel tanks with residual cutting oil on them.

rowdyplace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
The heat cycle isn't important. In fact the water warms up during the UC cycle. I've read somewhere in these posts that running a UC longer than 30 minutes at a time wears out the transducer faster. Keep an eye on the time and you shouldn't have a problem.

Look what I found at the goodwill store for $5.00! Brand new and unused. Just like the one the OP started with in post #1.

Well, I'm not going to let the 3 minute timer get me down. This fifty cent clip fits perfectly to hold the "on" button down at all times. In the background you will see the unit is plugged into the house power thru a $3.00 timer that will cycle on/off every 15 minutes (minimum). This can be set for hours on and minutes off - or vice versa.

If this lasts a week, I will open the bottom and jumper the on/off switch to permantly "on" and get rid of the clip. It's easy to jumper the thin red to the thin black wire... It has already done a good job for the last 36 hours.

Note to Danny - I was looking for a food dehydrator when this popped up...

Ultrasonic-clip.jpg

Sl4gathor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
Central Wisconsin
Has anyone ever tried to put a mix under vacuum? This would expand the liquid perhaps allowing faster molecular bonding, but I have no idea. Anyone know of a more well established similar process, say for making perfume something? This "steeping" stuff sucks. There has got to be a brute force method of doing this.

Been wondering about this......

Sent from Star Dock, on my HTC One

MotorN

May 23, 2014
Canada
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Language in video not appropriate

DeviantDigi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
adasdad
When i steep my FA Cowboy blend, the juice turns yellow after two or three weeks. Is that also the case when you 'steep' it in the ultrasonic? Do juices change color like they do with 'normal' time steeping?

It could just be how Nic changes color after being exposed to air. Yellow-Amber is the color nic would change.

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK
It could just be how Nic changes color after being exposed to air. Yellow-Amber is the color nic would change.

Not necessarily as my cherry mixes start out clear when I make them, then after a few days they start getting a light red tint to them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Yes they do change color when UC steeped just like doing it naturally just much quicker. By the way that was a very old post you replied to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread