SS coil longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.

seek2

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
Have been using stainless here and there for a bit. On a fresh build, the taste is great. I don't even dry burn for more than a split sec to get it even.

Eventually it junks up. Turns black, you know the deal. With kanthal just dry burn and dip and looks brand new.

Having issues with stainless. The one time I tried to clean it, was still black. Lol. Just been making new coils..

Seems to be a waste of wire. What is your process of cleaning a ss coil?

Thanks!

Reactions: cstavcr

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Have been using stainless here and there for a bit. On a fresh build, the taste is great. I don't even dry burn for more than a split sec to get it even.

Eventually it junks up. Turns black, you know the deal. With kanthal just dry burn and dip and looks brand new.

Having issues with stainless. The one time I tried to clean it, was still black. Lol. Just been making new coils..

Seems to be a waste of wire. What is your process of cleaning a ss coil?

Thanks!
I care most about vapor texture and throat hit. I seem to get those wih a dry burn and fresh wick twice a week. To minimize gunk I use 1% flavoring. I vape in temp mod,, see setup below. For cleaning I switch to watts mod and set to 10 watts then wet the coil in the sink and boil off the water a couple of times. Then I get a red glow as briefly and gently as possible, rinse and repeat a couple of times and stop there. I rarely remove the atomizer to preserve the 510 threading. I find no reason do do it. I have no idea if this is the best way. It's just the way I do it. I haven't replaced the stainless coil in several months and getting curious to see if anything will be different when I do.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
I care most about vapor texture and throat hit. I seem to get those wih a dry burn and fresh wick twice a week. To minimize gunk I use 1% flavoring.

You re-wick twice a week sofarsogood? Even for cotton that seems like a lot especially with 1% juice. About how many ml would that be between wicks?

Reactions: eazye99

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
You re-wick twice a week sofarsogood? Even for cotton that seems like a lot especially with 1% juice. About how many ml would that be between wicks?
I vape 50 ml per week so about every 25 ml. I don't rewick because it "needs" it but because the throat hit seems to improve enough to be worth the effort. My favorite vape is on a new coil and wick when the build has a bit of sizzle. Over weeks the coil itself seems to age, flavor and throat hit get muted, even when it looks idential to a new coil. Something about the coil must be changing. I don't know what.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
Rewicking and cleaning after 25 ml seems very reasonable here sofarsogood. Rayon might extend that another 50% or more but my sense is your taste buds are working quite well and would want you to clean residue from coil before that wick required it also. Perhaps getting some premade coils and changing out to fresh on a regular basis would be worthwhile.

• Agree
Reactions: P3ch3

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Rewicking and cleaning after 25 ml seems very reasonable here sofarsogood. Rayon might extend that another 50% or more but my sense is your taste buds are working quite well and would want you to clean residue from coil before that wick required it also. Perhaps getting some premade coils and changing out to fresh on a regular basis would be worthwhile.
I make my own coils and change them about every month or less. Pre made anythhing is not an option because of the FDA but I prefer to make my own anyway. Something happens to the coils over time that justifies replacing them, even when they appear to be entirely clean. It would be nice if a metalurgist would stumble into the conversation and explain what might be happening. I'm lazy and would love it if my coils lasted indefinitely. Plus every build ends up a little different and sometimes it's hard to rip off a build that was working so well.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
1350 degrees Celsius at least is needed to melt SS.
You really must have hit that coil hard. haha

It was not really "melted"... but it turned whitish and brittle. At the first squeeze from the pliers, it simply broke apart. o_O

I thought one could not simply dry-burn an SS coil until I saw this post. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread