Have a stogie, worry-free: US lifts restrictions on Cuban rum and cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Just how is this going to work. Obama abused his power once again and lifted the embargo of cigars from Cuba. One would assume that you would have to go to Cuba to buy them since Cuban cigars were not for sale in the US before the FDA deemed them under their control. So even though out of one side of Obama's administration is banning new cigars to enter the US market another side via executive order allows you to import them. But you cannot import a banned substance into the US or are Cuban cigars exempt from the FDA. I am so confused...

Have a stogie, worry-free: U.S. lifts restrictions on Cuban rum and cigars

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Just because Cuban products have been prohibited in the US, doesn't mean everyone else banned them. You've been able to obtain both Cuban rum and stogies in other countries (including Canada and Mexico) for decades now.

With the normalization of relations between the US and Cuba, it follows that previously prohibited items are no longer prohibited.

Reactions: dwcraig1

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Just because Cuban products have been prohibited in the US, doesn't mean everyone else banned them. You've been able to obtain both Cuban rum and stogies in other countries (including Canada and Mexico) for decades now.

With the normalization of relations between the US and Cuba, it follows that previously prohibited items are no longer prohibited.

But since they were not on the US market before the Deeming rule took hold they are new tobacco products which will have to file ether a premarket review or an Substantial Equivalence.

The lack of logic makes me sad.

Reactions: Nermal

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It depends. Cuban cigars were widely available prior to the embargo put into place back in 1962. It's unlikely the process has changed much, if at all, for the making of cigars and rum. Hence, it would follow that it's not really a new product, but one that hasn't been available since 1962 due to the US embargo. Prior to that they were available, which puts it well before the 2007 cutoff specified by the FDA.

Reactions: LaraC

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Obama allows US residents traveling to Cuba to now bring back up to 100 cigars, but FDA Deeming Rule bans Cuban cigars from being sold in the US (because they weren’t on the US market February 15, 2007).
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/15/world/americas/obama-cuba-trade-embargo.html
Have a stogie, worry-free: U.S. lifts restrictions on Cuban rum and cigars

Federal regulation threatens Florida’s historic premium cigar industry
Federal regulation threatens Florida's historic premium cigar industry - Watchdog.org

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I believe the wording is important:

Last week, the Obama administration announced a new round of executive orders designed to increase trade with the communist government in Havana. Americans can now bring back an unlimited number of Cuban cigars to the United States.

Sounds to me like there's no restrictions but you have to go to Cuba and fetch 'em back yourself. And probably with the caveat they be for personal use. Importing them would be illegal.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Obama allows US residents traveling to Cuba to now bring back up to 100 cigars, but FDA Deeming Rule bans Cuban cigars from being sold in the US (because they weren’t on the US market February 15, 2007).

However, if a Cuban manufacturer can prove that their products WERE sold in the US prior to the February 15, 2007 cutoff, it's grandfathered. So if they're selling the same product that was being sold prior to the 1962 embargo, technically, it's a grandfathered product.

Reactions: LaraC

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
However, if a Cuban manufacturer can prove that their products WERE sold in the US prior to the February 15, 2007 cutoff, it's grandfathered. So if they're selling the same product that was being sold prior to the 1962 embargo, technically, it's a grandfathered product.

Not correct. The embargo is still in place for selling Cuban cigars in the US, so grandfather doesn't apply in any way, shape, or form.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I stand corrected.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand. While some restrictions have been lifted on travel to Cuba, you still have to have permission to do so. Travel as a tourist is still prohibited.

Essentially, nothing has really changed in regards to trade goods coming into the US, or travel to Cuba except under certain exceptions.

Cuba

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I stand corrected.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand. While some restrictions have been lifted on travel to Cuba, you still have to have permission to do so. Travel as a tourist is still prohibited.

Essentially, nothing has really changed in regards to trade goods coming into the US, or travel to Cuba except under certain exceptions.

Cuba
True about the travel restrictions, but on the positive side you can bring back Cuban cigars from any country for personal use legally now (and they're pretty easy to get in any country except the US). So that's a plus. I haven't had a cigar in over 3 years since I started vaping, but the next time I travel if I happen to find some Montecristo #2s I think I'll have to break down and get a box. Of course I'd only enjoy them on special occasions... like Monday through Sunday.

Reactions: DC2

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
True about the travel restrictions, but on the positive side you can bring back Cuban cigars from any country for personal use legally now (and they're pretty easy to get in any country except the US). So that's a plus. I haven't had a cigar in over 3 years since I started vaping, but the next time I travel if I happen to find some Montecristo #2s I think I'll have to break down and get a box. Of course I'd only enjoy them on special occasions... like Monday through Sunday.
It does my heart good when I see a vaper who's no longer afraid of smoking.
Especially when it's a good cigar.
:)

Reactions: Jazzman

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
It does my heart good when I see a vaper who's no longer afraid of smoking.
Especially when it's a good cigar.
:)
That's a short, but actually quite insightful response DC2. For years I have had a reformed addict perspective on enjoying a good cigar, but within the last 6 months I have really changed my views in that regard and can look forward to a perfect evening with a bottle of 2012 Opus One, a really remarkable cigar, and some good friends. I'm not in any hurry for it, but it would surely make for a memorable evening.

Vaping has released me from the need for a cigar for it's medicinal properties (nicotine), and I feel the allure of a fine cigar for what it really is to me now... a guiltless pleasure that I might enjoy from time to time.

A much better perspective I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread