Godshall presentation on FDA Deeming Regulation at Food & Drug Law Institute conference in DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
I have become convinced that the efforts of Mr. Godshall, and many others, are having a very serious impact.
These efforts, at the VERY least, are throwing a wrench into the best laid plans of mice and ANTZ.

Even if that is all they accomplish from these efforts, it buys us time.
But I am convinced it is doing far more than that.

The truth shall set you free. Bill is doing an incredible job. Nobody would know what is going on in the sewer of crony capitalism in DC or state capitals. Cockroaches scatter when they see light.

So are all of the people here when a negative ecig propaganda article shows up. You kick their .... up and down the sidewalk for public amusement. I should join you more but you are doing such a great job I can take time off and go to my kids baseball game!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Thank you Bill, for all of your hard work in support of truth, common sense and our right to vape as a means to escape from tobacco.

Now if we could get every ECF member to join CASAA and those who have already joined to put the CASAA banner on their posts to bring awareness of this fight to all new members.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Many thanks for the kudos.

THR and e-cigarettes were highlighted (and heavily supported) by most folks at the FDLI conference's three tobacco sessions. While I and other presenters criticized the deeming regulation and the FDA's handling of SE applications, nobody spoke in support of the deeming regulation.

Heard that e-cigarettes were the highlight at the NATO conference (National Association of Tobacco Outlets) in Las Vegas earlier this week (where FDA's Mitch Zeller also spoke).

My goal remains to convince the FDA to NEVER PROPOSE the Deeming Regulation (nor Additional Regulations) for vapor products, cigars, pipe tobacco, hookah/shisha, dissolvables, or other currently unregulated tobacco products (because the regulations would threaten, instead of benefit, consumer and public health).

My second goal is to continue delaying and delaying the Deeming regulations (hopefully until Obama leaves office).

I strongly suspect FDA's Mitch Zeller will first take action on (i.e. approve and/or reject) at least some (perhaps many/most) of the 3,700 Substantial Equivalence applications that have already been submitted by tobacco companies before the agency officially proposes a Deeming Regulation and Additional Regulations for e-cigarettes.

Also suspect the FDA's forthcoming rulings on SE applications will create controversy, and potential litigation against FDA.

If FDA were to propose a Deeming Regulation and additional regulations before it rules on the huge backlog of existing SE applications, however, it will be much easier for us to convince Republicans in Congress to conduct hearings and to oppose the newly proposed FDA regulations.

So I think at least several more months will pass before FDA proposes a Deeming Regulation and Additional Regulations for e-cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, hookah, dissolvables, etc.

If/when the FDA proposes a Deeming Regulation and Additional Regulations, there would be a public comment period of perhaps six months (when we'll need to generate hundreds of thousands of opposition comments to the FDA docket by vapers and e-cig companies, and the tobacco industry will generate many opposition comments as well, probably including some threatening legal action).

And it will take at least another six months before the FDA could take any final action on their proposed regs.

If e-cigarette sales continue to skyrocket every quarter (as has occurred since 2007, and as I expect and envision will continue for many years to come), pressure will continue mounting against unwarranted and excessive regulation by FDA. So time is on our side.

The FDA cannot put this rapidly growing Genie back into the bottle, and they should know they cannot because they already tried to do so from 2009-2011 when the agency banned and seized e-cigarette imports (and yet, e-cigarette sales still skyrocketed).

Last edited:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Thank you Bill for keeping us informed and fighting for our right to have a safe alternative to cigarettes.
E-cigs have completely turned my life, and health around for the better.
My doctor misses my sugar-free cookies, now that I don't see him much.
I get a lot more hugs since I don't "stink"
I'm also no longer the "black sheep" in a family of non-smokers ....

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Thanks do much for your hard work Bill. I met you at the first Vapercon in Fredericksburg Va.You may remember me as the owner of Zap Electronic Cigarettes. My wife and I both enjoyed talking to you and appreciate all the of your hard work. Partly as a result of that Im now over 6months completely analog free after struggling for years to rid my addiction to cigarettes.

I just wanted to comment on the FDA mention of people using NRT and tobacco at the same time and say that 99 percent of people will have sense enough not to combine both products to get a greater "buzz" and or possibly overdosing in the process.

I tried e-cigs in 2009 but the technology wasn't good enough then to replace cigarettes for me. The first time I made it 3 months without a cigarette and went back to them after I got sick of recharging batteries every 3 hours.

1 year later I tried an Ego T and was able to quit for 4 months.

A few months later I bought a Provari and quit for 6 months before going back to analogs. I attribute this to weaning myself off of nicotine too fast.

Now I am completely off of analogs (haven't even cheated once) and am weaning myself much more slowly going from 24mg down to 18 over the course of 6-7 months.I really feel like this time it's going to work.

I wanted to share my story here with you because it has some bearing on the FDA's "worry" about people using NRT and cigarettes at the same time. NO PERSON here has the exact same story or the exact same method of quitting.It's all still very much trial and error at this point and I fear that their involvement could complicate an already complicated process even farther (and perhaps prohibitively so).

As other on the forum are often to quote, relapses happen and every single cigarette we dont smoke due to e-cigs are a victory in and of themselves. They dont penalize those who use the patch and go back to smoking so I dont see where their involvement in this is wanted or even needed here either.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
NO PERSON here has the exact same story or the exact same method of quitting.It's all still very much trial and error at this point and I fear that their involvement could complicate an already complicated process even farther (and perhaps prohibitive).
One of the reasons electronic cigarettes work so well is all of the variety...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ou-put-down-those-last-couple-cigarettes.html

The availability of different flavors, strengths, PG/VG ratios and equipment options are critical.
Limiting the market to stick batteries and pre-filled cartomizers would drastically reduce the overall effectiveness.

We all know the stories of people who tried those and went back to smoking.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Bill, thank you for all your wonderful work. In essence it is a fight for human rights, and the right to life vs commercial profits. Never let anyone take this away from you.

Your analysis of the timescales involved in future regulation is very interesting. Overall it is full of hope because as our numbers increase, it will be increasingly difficult for them to sweep us aside. I believe that the black market issue is important in this debate, especially as it will involve citizens going to the black market to obtain safer products in order to stay alive: an interesting reversal of the usual situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread