More Susceptible to Viruses since Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

richrara

Apr 28, 2017
Hi, I've read a few posts on here (as well as the much-discussed academic research) about immunity and vaping, and just wanted to concur with those saying they believe it is leading to a weakened immune system. Whilst I've avoided the chest infections I used to get whilst smoking; in the two years that I started 'vaping-proper' I have picked up significantly more viral infections than ever in my life before; going from an average of one a year, to five or six for each of the two years.
Whilst I realise there can be many other contributing factors to a weakened immune system, my recent experience of having four viral infections in as many months (whilst vaping around 4ml's of 3mg liquid through 0.7 coil each day) is enough to make me pack up the vape.
Vaping research is clearly in it's infancy and, whilst I'd recommend any smoker to opt for the vape over cigarettes, I'm pretty certain I'll be better off without either. I'll let you know how I get on.
Of course, my evidence is only anecdotal and based on my own personal experience, but - having seen such a marked difference in how many viruses (cold, flu, sickness bugs etc) I've picked up since vaping - I feel pretty certain the vape's dont work, not for me at least, to coin a phrase.

Reactions: unIGIon

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Funny how anecdotal evidence can conflict. I was convinced that vaping REDUCED the number of times I got sick. It's been over a year for me and I haven't had a cold or flu since I started. I thought for sure I was going to catch something a couple of months ago when everyone I worked with and even my wife were deathly ill with the flu. Might just be coincidence but it's working for me so far.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
If anything, it's quite the opposite....

There's more and more discussions and research that are heading towards vaping actually prevent ailments.

The PG being anti-bacterial, is proving that it assists in both preventing and getting rid of infections in the lungs.

Sadly, all recent actual research (I keep forgetting to bookmark these things and regret it later) is completely lost thanks to the amount of PROPAGANDA... and the only link I can find quickly is a bit dated: Propylene glycol in e cigarettes might keep us healthy, says researchers

But, between my wife who suffers from MS, would get 3-4 lung infections (up to pneumonia easily) per year, since vaping, she's got maybe 2-3 in nine years.

I've had many people report the same type of observation from various sources, groups, etc.

Basically, the number of circumstances that you feel that you've been getting sicker since vaping is impossible to verify and confirm to the "why"... but odds are, the vaping had very little to do with it, unless you've not use proper approaches, proper hygiene with your gear and liquids. Even your way of life, stress, all can easily account for such a change.

Note that as we get older, we are more prone to be affected by some bugs... and at this point, there appears to be more and more that no shots or prevention measure seem to slow them down.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    It'd be nice if it did. Then I wouldn't have to sit for hours every few weeks hooked up to an IV @ $60,000 per yr. to have my immune system destroyed. So far, my immune system delights in fighting off those Biological chemicals.

It'd be nice to just have a few viral infections per year.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    It is worth bearing in mind that there are at least a handful of studies suggesting that nicotine affects the immune system to some extent; I have MS so it's something my doctor and I have discussed. But considering I have an actual autoimmune disease (edit: that requires me to take immunosupressants) and my doctor knows I vape, FAR prefers that to my smoking, and has never told me to stop for my health, I would question to what degree vaping-- versus nicotine consumption-- caused these issues for you. And I question to what degree even the nicotine consumption caused your problems, at least on its own. If you believe quitting vaping is the best step for you, then you should quit. However, while I understand you tried to temper your post, it comes off as fear mongering, as though you are saying that vaping unequivocally caused you to contract more viruses. Ignoring the difference between "vaping" and "nicotine consumption" (obviously related, but not one-in-the-same), you do not know. You suspect. That's enough to make a personal decision, but maybe not enough to tell the whole forum that vaping makes you more susceptible to viruses.

Most here would agree that vaping is better than smoking and using nothing is better than vaping... but we all make our own informed decisions and do what we need to do, because certainly smoking tobacco is the worst option of the three.

Last edited:

richrara

Apr 28, 2017
    Interesting to hear all your replies. I guess as vaping is a relatively new phenomenon, only time will tell.
    On a personal level I'm just tired of getting sick as frequently as I have over this past couple of years, so am willing to try anything to avoid it. I realise I might not see any difference (this is presuming I manage to quit...the itches are coming more frequently as I'm starting to feel a little better!), but am going to give it my best shot and see if I notice any difference.
    Great to hear that it's working for many of you though. Especially those guys with MS!

Reactions: petrotech

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Hi, I've read a few posts on here (as well as the much-discussed academic research) about immunity and vaping, and just wanted to concur with those saying they believe it is leading to a weakened immune system. Whilst I've avoided the chest infections I used to get whilst smoking; in the two years that I started 'vaping-proper' I have picked up significantly more viral infections than ever in my life before; going from an average of one a year, to five or six for each of the two years.
    Whilst I realise there can be many other contributing factors to a weakened immune system, my recent experience of having four viral infections in as many months (whilst vaping around 4ml's of 3mg liquid through 0.7 coil each day) is enough to make me pack up the vape.
    Vaping research is clearly in it's infancy and, whilst I'd recommend any smoker to opt for the vape over cigarettes, I'm pretty certain I'll be better off without either. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Of course, my evidence is only anecdotal and based on my own personal experience, but - having seen such a marked difference in how many viruses (cold, flu, sickness bugs etc) I've picked up since vaping - I feel pretty certain the vape's dont work, not for me at least, to coin a phrase.
    There is a field of medical research called epidemeology which is looking for causes of illness in the environment. They are looking for trends that might fortell a lot of people developing an illness from a new source. The guys at the CDC hate vaping so passionately I picture them in their underground concrete bunker endlessly checking with their agents around the world, desparately searching for evicence that vaping causes illness. I suspect the phones are not ringing off the hook to report promising new leads. Where are the reports of doctors treating illnesses caused by using ecigs? There are millions of vapers and no regulation of products so how come nothing's happened? I'm sure the person who discovers something genuinely bad about vaping will receiive the nobel prize in medicine for his singular contribution to protecting the treasuries of every nation on earth.

Last edited:

numsquat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2015
    I've seen many stories recently about this but no real links to legit studies. Not saying I agree or disagree (and really don't care) but nothing to cause me to lean towards vaping decreases the immune system.

My personal experience would negate these studies also. I work in a field where I work with people with disabilities and around school aged kids kindergarten through college daily and am in doctor office/hospital at least weekly, all populations/locations with higher amounts of viral and bacterial illnesses than the average populace. In the 3 years of vaping at this job, I have had one case of the flu and have not missed any work. Been at this job for over 8 years. I may be an outliner but vaping has not reduced my immune system per experience.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Interesting to hear all your replies. I guess as vaping is a relatively new phenomenon, only time will tell.

Trouble is... it's been around for more than 10 year now... it is NOT "new"...

If it did have health implications, we'd be seeing it by now... it's not like smoking on the 30s here, we have a LOT of technology that didn't exist then.

And they are doing as many studies as they can, with the same results:

1. they fake the tests, use approaches that falsifies the results and findings, actually cause bad things on purpose...

2. Legit science and it's finding that it is NOT doing anything at all that can be seen, replicated, etc. nothing. Actually I shouldn't say nothing... they prove that (as per #1) there are many that are (paid by the government and tobacco industry) are making staged tests, make false claims, provide false negative results, and those are when you see on the news and such.
    So far every negative claim about vaping has been debunked... and not only debunked but proven to be orchestrated for propaganda.

Seriously, if you want more, check my blog, I've already provided links and more info about all this stuff.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto

I'm finding the exact opposite ... I have not even had a cold in over 3 years :blink:

my results are common.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Hi, I've read a few posts on here (as well as the much-discussed academic research) about immunity and vaping, and just wanted to concur with those saying they believe it is leading to a weakened immune system.
    Please post the source(s) of your info.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I call B.S..

I for one am happily not getting a cold that turns into pneumonia at least once a year.. haven't had pneumonia since I started vaping.. and the only flu I've had since I started vaping was 2 months after I had stopped vaping..

So I definitely call B.S. fear mongering on this thread where you joined only to warn us of the horrible dangers of vaping.. lol..

My health, and pretty much everyone here's health is much improved from when we were smokers..

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    When I smoked I used to get a dry hacking cough every winter from December to late spring usually with lung involvement. Almost every cold turned into bronchitis or at least head-cold with coughing.

4 years without a puff of smoke and I haven't had a full blown cold, head cold, hacking cough, nothing I'd even call a cold. I had the chills for a few hours 3-4 times. That's it. I wrap up in a blanket for a few hours and let my immune system destroy whatever bug was stupid enough to start .... with me. I'm not even kidding.

The whole nicotine whacking your immune system idea is idiotic.
    We used to inhale smoke. with.nicotine.in.it. and dozens of harmful chemicals including carbon monoxide.
    Duh.

I smoked at least a pack a day for 35 years and I vape 15-20mls/day of Max VG 3mg BTW
    My immune system's better than ever.

Last edited:

HeatherIvy

May 25, 2017
    I think it will be good if you quit.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
    Sep 13, 2016
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread