How is vaping in public recieved in your country/area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Don't ever tell people not to quit smoking, or thinking it's not for them! That's ridiculous.. people are talking to you because they want HELP!

So true. Even if they are trying to make small talk, and put vaping down. If we, the vapers, are as knowledgeable as you seem to be. We can help them quit analogs. And the truth will set them free...from analogs.

Because I had successfully quit smoking through vaping, one day she sat down and talked to me about her experience, and I handed her some max vg e juice that I had on hand, and a new tank to go with her battery (just a little kanger t3s) and a few coils to go with it.. all in all I handed her less than 20.00 worth of stuff, I gave her a card with a discount code on where to buy more of everything I gave her, and told her if all that didn't work for her to come back and I would give her something better..
=Great story. Great idea. So true about the variables of e-liquids, and mods. I still get frustrated shopping online. 7 years ago I tried vaping, some company got $250 from me for the cig-a-likes. They were okay, at that time companies were trying to match the taste of analogs. Man I was mad when I found out that $30 a month. Turned into a 7 hour trial and costs $250 if you don't cancel. That was the last time I used my bank card online. Then I found a Volcano rep in a mall. But lost the tip one day off the clearomizer. Then dirt got in it. Besides I was smoking and vaping. So I just gave up, and went back to analogs. Wish you were there.....lol.

That was the LAST day she ever smoked a cigarette.. why? Because what I handed her solved her problem, and was right for her.. (She had been buying 50/50 juice without realizing there were other and better choices, and using a ce4 tank prior
=50/50 e-liquid. I say nasty flavor. And smell. For me, I use to chase e-liquid, and cig-a-likes that tastes like analogs. Now I enjoy fruity flavors, and everyone enjoys the smell. And I really enjoy my new hobby. Vaping.

Carry those business cards that people give you 10 of every time you make a purchase, and HELP people by telling them what to buy, and where to buy it.. hand out those cards... TALK to them..
=Putting a couple cards in my wallet today. Great idea.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I find it Interesting that the worst they could come up with about e-cigs is that PG is an "irritant", that they're "not proven safe", and that "nicotine poses a health risk". But nonetheless e-cigs are banned because they're an "imitation tobacco product". Brilliant strategy there.

Ter

Verified Member
I find it Interesting that the worst they could come up with about e-cigs is that PG is an "irritant", that they're "not proven safe", and that "nicotine poses a health risk". But nonetheless e-cigs are banned because they're an "imitation tobacco product". Brilliant strategy there.
Well, it's all about money I guess. They will lose revenue from tobacco taxes, if it was legalized. Because they couldn't or unable to classfied ecig under tobacco and make money out of it.

Reactions: DaveP

Vape_Authority

Registered Supplier
Apr 4, 2017
www.ejuices.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

N8erade

May 21, 2017
Just as the title. How is it looked upon were you´r at?

I live in Sweden and vaping is still kind of "underground" and not really talked about in the media (unless some dumbo blows half his face of with a pipebomb-mod....) So vaping in public usually stirs up questions like "is that a cigarette?" "You know it has more Chemicals in it right?" I even Heard stuff like "You know they found [edited] in that juice right?" followed by a long, highly uneducated rant about the horrors and terrifying "facts" about vaping.

Central Indiana here, and boy is it hard...
I live on a college campus (but I don't go to that school) and it's a lot like what you're describing. I'll be walking down the sidewalk with some friends (who do go to that school) and one of them says something like "you know that's still bad for you right?" or "dude that's gross I don't want your second hand vape!"

As far as my interactions with strangers are concerned, most don't say anything. Now, it definitely doesn't make you girlfriend material around here, that's for sure. I'd liken it to wearing a fedora. Or cargo shorts. Or crocs. You're gonna get some weird looks, people are going to talk about you when you're out of earshot, and they're going to try to walk somewhere that they don't have to smell your "toxic fumes."

I'd say I've probably missed out on more than a handful of potential friendships due to vaping; the hookah lounges are the hot-spots around here. People in my class will invite me to hang out at the hookah lounge, or they'll ask if I want to come have some cigars and chill. Usually I have to pass, not only out of concerns for my own health, but also out of fear that I'll fall in to old habits.

It doesn't help that the university went and banned any type of vaporizer from the campus, so you can only use them in approved smoking areas. Despite the ban, nobody really seems to care. Everyone who vapes ignores the smoking areas anyways.

Reactions: BrotherBob

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
It's ignored here as long as you only vape where you would smoke - most here see it as the same thing, just a tech head's way of smoking. If you love tech, then you vape, if you're old school, you smoke, to people here, it's the same, just looks different.

Telling non vapers otherwise fails, they don't want to hear it. It's all a dirty, disgusting habit that no one should do. Smokers shrug and don't ask questions. A few are more afraid of battery explosions than cancer so, refuse to even be near vaping devices. One or two fear the liquid nicotine because "it ain't natural, it's concentrated poison, just like the water off making poke sallit only you're keeping the bad and tossing out the good instead of the other way around.

Backwoods southern minds are hard to change, the old folks are set in their ways and, the young ones already know vaping is the "cool" way to smoke so, that's where it is.

Mom2three04

May 15, 2017
This thread perked my interest in my local vape laws. It looks like you can legally vape anywhere you want in georgia excluding the 3 areas listed. My workplace doesn't allow vaping inside and only in designated smoking areas. I tend to only vape where I would normally smoke with the exception of my home. I do vape indoors at home, but wouldn't smoke indoors. I live in a rural area, so very rarely even see another person, much less one vaping. At work a good 20% of the smoking area is now vapors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170521-145343.png
    Screenshot_20170521-145343.png
    377.2 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Garden gnome

spainman

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2012
Memphis, TN
In 5 years of vaping in Memphis, the only issues I've ever had was one restaurant, one bystander at a concert that was in the path of a small cloud, and one attendant at a Grizzlies game who told me I needed to be sure to use it on the smoking balcony. I always try to keep it low key if I'm not sure about the vaping policy, and since the general public has figured out what it is nobody seems to care. And I'll do it virtually anywhere aside from a doctor's office and church (should my wife succeed in dragging me in lol).

What I've been surprised by is when I go to larger cities and see less vapers than I would expect, like twice I've been to NYC in the last 4 yrs and I could count on one hand how many people with vapes I ran across. The first time I was thinking surely vaping is not big deal up there but virtually the only vaper I ran into struck a conversation up with me when he saw me puffing. Anywhere I go 70-80% of the time I'm the only one I can find doing it although seeing those massive, one time clouds coming out of car windows is getting more and more commonplace.

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
I'm spotting more & more these days. In the 2 miles or so between the nearest shopping area & home it's not unusual to see a dozen or so vapers. Aside from outside pubs, you see more people vaping than smoking on the street around here. Easy to spot too. Vapour appears whiter than cigarette smoke.

The novelty still hasn't worn off though, both my other half & me delight in pointing vapers out to each other when we spot them

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I live in the middle of nowhere butthole town of 5000. We have a electronics store with a crap couple shelves of unheard of juices and outdated gear. My only perk is living 10 minutes from the US border so I have access to quality gear that use to be cheaper but exchange rate. I do see some vapers but they vape ego pens with clearos and some evods. I do see the rare 18650 batt mod but they are standing in front of the 15 bucks for 10mls juice sporting heavy hitters and the atty to go with it. I DIY and can pound through juice like crazy so how expensive are their attys to keep the juice flowing.
Waiting for my son to get a slurpee one day at 711 here intown, sitting vaping away. As I left the parking lot I saw a guy standing in front of his vehicle like a peacock vaping what looked to me to be a zombie provari, I slowed enough to hand him a thumbs up cause his show was for me....lol.
My wife and I stealth vape at any function were at, so far our only minor hassle was at the Fleetwood Mac concert in Calgary Saddledome a few years back. The people behind us cleared their throat a few too many times for my liking. After a quick education that we were vaping and we quit smoking over night, they totally changes their attitudes.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Vaping indoors is banned in Belgium. It is treated the same as smoking, selling vape products online is banned, promotions and publicity for vape products are banned. Hardly anyone understands I quit smoking. On the news they say it is still undetermined whether vaping is less harmful than smoking, which makes it even much harder for me to explain to people how I quit smoking. When they see my cloud outside on the street some people will duck away from it thinking it must be like mustard gas or something.

I too, come from a small town of 7000 (and declining). We have a B&M (not bad juice/hardware choices all beit a little pricey). Users here seem to be "underground", I have never seen anyone vaping publicly, I do, but never in areas where smoking is prohibited. I have had people tell me they are going to report me for doing drugs in public (I am using a coolfire 4 40w with nautilus mini in my vehicle), usually this comes at a traffic light with no opportunity to explain/educate. I have only encountered one individual who asked me to fully roll down my window and ask "do you know how stupid and ......ed you look?", meanwhile his hand is hanging out the window with a lit cig in it - after a trying day my only response was "do you know how bad you smell"....nothing more was said other than a dirty look and roll up their window and spin tires....think I hit a nerve. There has been no talk of bylaws or anything against vaping. Which is good....
Happy Thursday and vape on!!!!

Reactions: Rossum

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Wow, this thread caused me to check my state's laws. Interestingly, although many businesses and whatnot are choosing the "no vaping" option voluntarily, you can pretty much do anything with an e-cig, anywhere, with the exception of handing one to a minor, legally. You can vape indoors, you can vape in state parks, etc.

I'm not holding my breath that it will remain that way, I just moved to a state with really, really dumb lawmakers and a lot of MORE PRESSING problems, so it'll probably take them a while to get to it....

Anna

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
I live in Arizona. It's .. a weird mix here. It's like okay, but people sometimes seem to PRETEND they don't think it's okay..? Like it's not enforced but it's softly implied it COULD be?

Like.. There are LOADS of vape shops all over the place. (mostly huge markups here I don't know why must be the market conditions $$$$) I vape at work all day long too, and no one thinks anything of it. Mind you I'm a graphic designer for an advertising agency and we have things such as "wine thursdays" ..so long as creativity is happening no one questions all that much.

Conversely I did run into this yesterday. I just got a new apartment. I went to see it and I was walking around. Vaping. Nodding. Gets to signing the application. I get to the bottom of the page and there is a disclaimer that is in 10% grey 5pt font at the bottom of the page

This is a smoke free / vape free community

Me: "Wat?"
*looks at the Box Mod in her hand* *looks at the lady*
Me: "What's vape free community mean?"
Lady: "Uh. Right. It means we don't allow smoking or vaping on the grounds."
Me: "Like not even on the balcony?"
*lady does weird heeeeeh ..no.. shrug thing..*
*I sit there wrestling with social uncertainty/in silence/baffled*

Boyfriend: "How is vaping even smoking who came up with that idea?"
*lady quietly and discreetly makes a series of eeh it's cool just ignore that gestures*
Me: "Yeah anyway.. this is my.. medical inhaler ..anyway."
*lady pretends like none of this happened papers go on being signed*

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread