Vaping in public is how I got started

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalr

Oct 7, 2013
Switzerland
A few weeks ago, on a warm evening on the deck of a restaurant in the south of France, a lady was happily vaping away at the table next to mine. At the same time, I was being cautious smoking an analog, trying not to blow smoke in a way that could incommode the others persons eating at the nearby tables.

I started asking her about her e-cigarette and she told me more about it. I had heard of e-cigarettes but never had any first-hand information from a vaper. She told me how she went from smoking 2 packs a day, smelling like .... and victim to short breath and yearly pneumonia, to seeing her health improve over just 6 months while progressively reducing her nicotine intake without smoking anymore. After I returned home, I ordered a starting kit.

So it thanks to some lady vaping in public that I was able to stop smoking. If my experience is a common place occurrence, the more people vaping in public, the more people will stop smoking. I would not be on this forum today, fags-free, if I had not met this lady.

And you, did you start vaping because you saw someone do it in public?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Good example of why vaping openly has several advantages. Many of us long time vapers believe in vaping openly most places but with respect and common sense. Hiding in dark corners, acting like we still smoke and giving the perception that vaping is as dangerous as smoking does not help the vaping community or bring awareness to others. It is also important for all of us to educate ourselves on what vaping is and is not, so we can intelligently explain it to the misinformed and uninformed.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
. . .And you, did you start vaping because you saw someone do it in public?

I was sitting in my County jury selection room. Saw a guy sitting there, reading a book, and sucking on this thing that looked like a regular cigarette. The end lit up red when he took a drag, and he exhaled what looked like smoke. After we were released I followed him out to the parking lot. Ask him, "what's that thing you're a sucking on". He said, "it's an electronic cigarette". Told me to Google it. I did. And, that's how I found out about this board and the only thing that I was able to use to quit my 52 year, (2.5 PAD), smoking habit. Tried many methods and times to quit. This was the only thing the really worked for me. Haven't had a tobacco cigarette for more than 2.5 years. Had my last vape Feb 6th. Now have no urge to do either. Don't mind being around those vaping. . .can't say the same 'bout smokers. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Last edited:

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
A few weeks ago, on a warm evening on the deck of a restaurant in the south of France, a lady was happily vaping away at the table next to mine. At the same time, I was being cautious smoking an analog, trying not to blow smoke in a way that could incommode the others persons eating at the nearby tables.

I started asking her about her e-cigarette and she told me more about it. I had heard of e-cigarettes but never had any first-hand information from a vaper. She told me how she went from smoking 2 packs a day, smelling like .... and victim to short breath and yearly pneumonia, to seeing her health improve over just 6 months while progressively reducing her nicotine intake without smoking anymore. After I returned home, I ordered a starting kit.

So it thanks to some lady vaping in public that I was able to stop smoking. If my experience is a common place occurrence, the more people vaping in public, the more people will stop smoking. I would not be on this forum today, fags-free, if I had not met this lady.

And you, did you start vaping because you saw someone do it in public?

This is why I say it is important that we get out and be seen and answer questions. I never saw anyone vaping in public when starting out, though I did see them do it on ads on TV.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I was sitting in my County jury selection room. Saw a guy sitting there, reading a book, and sucking on this thing that looked like a regular cigarette. The end lit up red when he took a drag, and he exhaled what looked like smoke. After we were released I followed him out to the parking lot. Ask him, "what's that thing you're a sucking on". He said, "it's an electronic cigarette". Told me to Google it. I did. And, that's how I found out about this board and the only thing that I was able to use to quit my 52 year, (2.5 PAD), smoking habit. Tried many methods and times to quit. This was the only thing the really worked for me. Haven't had a tobacco cigarette for more than 2.5 years. Had my last vape Feb 6th. Now have no urge to do either. Don't mind being around those vaping. . .can't say the same 'bout smokers. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Excellent example of how vaping openly can help others. I'm in and out of courthouses frequently and have found many opportunities to share vaping with others. I have helped quite a few sheriff's deputies at the screening locations switch to vaping.

dalr

Oct 7, 2013
Switzerland
This is why I say it is important that we get out and be seen and answer questions. I never saw anyone vaping in public when starting out, though I did see them do it on ads on TV.

In Switzerland, advertising e-cigarettes is strictly forbidden, so there's not much visibility apart from the vapers doing so in public. It's up to us to make it visible, then.

I'm baffled by Switzerland's hypocrisy and lack of vision on this. You always see ads on TV for patches and the likes, what they call "tobacco alternatives", but e-cigarette? Nah, let's just make sure no one hears of it on TV. :mad:

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
I'm baffled by Switzerland's hypocrisy and lack of vision on this. You always see ads on TV for patches and the likes, what they call "tobacco alternatives", but e-cigarette? Nah, let's just make sure no one hears of it on TV.

I do not understand either. But all we can do is stress education. Education, knowledge, this is what dispels hate (and the fear which is behind it). And exposure. If we find ourselves hating someone, something, or some people, let us stop and think. Whence comes it? Why?

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Good example of why vaping openly has several advantages. Many of us long time vapers believe in vaping openly most places but with respect and common sense. Hiding in dark corners, acting like we still smoke and giving the perception that vaping is as dangerous as smoking does not help the vaping community or bring awareness to others. It is also important for all of us to educate ourselves on what vaping is and is not, so we can intelligently explain it to the misinformed and uninformed.

^^^^

This.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread