Do we need more than 18xxx ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
I assume, that most of us know a lot about the safety issues related with the batteries and mods that we are using.
We care for our health and the devices that we use.
Most of us uses an e-Go like or a 18xxx driven battery/mod.
This already involves some issues that we have to relate to.
I mean, do we really need the new and much more powerful batteries/devices, that in my opinion are close to be real bombs in our hands ?

Spey

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2016
I for one look forward to increased battery capacities and performance. Examples include 20700 & 21700 driven from other industries (Tesla motors, etc.). Small increases in external dimensions offering significant performance bennifits is a good thing in my mind.

Proper knowledge, care and use is the only thing that can minimise ignorant disaster.

How many folks worry about laptop battery explosions or from cel-phone (laptop batteries typically contain between 4 & 8 18650 batteries and have multi-protection-circut). Historically I would bet there have been more laptop battery melt-downs and/or more cel-phone melt-downs than those related to vaping.

I do not believe the vape industry needs "more than 18xxx" ..., but I am all for BETTER than current 18xxx.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I guess it depends on what you mean with "we". Me, personally? Nope. I've been good-to-go with a single 18650 for more than 3 years now and I don't see that changing.

But for those who vape rather more agressively in terms of power and volume, I can sorta understand why they would want more milliwatt hours that a single 18xxx can provide.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I'm intrigued by the potential of mods that take the 20700's, but not to the point where I'm feeling a burning desire to own one. I'm fine here on the bleeding edge of technology and happy with my single 18650 devices.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Replaceable batteries are great for those of us who like to carry an extra battery when we know we are going to be away from home. Some of those mods also have a USB port that is charge compatible for when you need it. It's always best to charge 18650s with an AC charger.

I'm happy with 18650s. I've recently purchased a couple of dual 18650 mods that last me from one morning until almost lunch the next day. With the right mod size doesn't increase that much unless you buy a triangular shaped dual 18650 mod or a triple 18650 mod.

20700 is what carmakers are moving to. 1/3 more power in a slightly larger footprint that's 2mm wider and 5mm longer.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I mean, do we really need the new and much more powerful batteries/devices, that in my opinion are close to be real bombs in our hands ?

To Me, it kinda depends on what Type of Mod you are putting the Battery in?

For single/dual battery Regulated Mod, seems like a 20A/3000mAh 18650 is enough for Most People. But where I see a 20700 being a Plus would be in a Single Battery Mech.

A 20700 Mech would only be a Tad bigger than an 18650. But a 30A/3000mAh 20700 would allow a Greater Amp draw at the same mAh.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The designers of the 20700 are thinking of the vaping community as customers.

Doubtful. Much like Sony did with their legal letters stating their batteries were not to be sold for e-cigarette devices, I'd wager the legal departments for those making the 20700 batteries will do the same thing eventually. In today's litigious society, those manufacturers would never give the green light for their products to be used in e-cigarette devices.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Doubtful. Much like Sony did with their legal letters stating their batteries were not to be sold for e-cigarette devices, I'd wager the legal departments for those making the 20700 batteries will do the same thing eventually. In today's litigious society, those manufacturers would never give the green light for their products to be used in e-cigarette devices.

I've already seen the disclaimer of not intended for thiis and not. Still they want our business.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
How can a battery manufacturer decide the application of the product?

Very easily. They manufacture their batteries for a specific purpose/industry. The high output needed to power our mods is not one of those purposes. Considering a mishap has the potential for severe injuries, no battery manufacturer in their right mind would give the green light for using their products in e-cig mods.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Very easily. They manufacture their batteries for a specific purpose/industry. The high output needed to power our mods is not one of those purposes. Considering a mishap has the potential for severe injuries, no battery manufacturer in their right mind would give the green light for using their products in e-cig mods.

I agree completely,
    We are a tiny, tiny market with huge liability issues. No battery manufacturer wants to have anything to do with us if our legal system can touch them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread