Sign that should be in all vape shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Agreed. People are used to cells that are more-or-less harmless, and tend to assume that what works for an AA works for an 18650. Then we have the idiots who argue for pulse ratings and the like and give those who don't know better the impression that any safety advice is controversial or over-the-top. And there's the fact that humans are just plain lousy at evaluating risk - if you get away with it once, or fifteen times, it's obviously perfectly safe always and forever.

I would hope that the average vape shop customer has been versed on battery safety, although I wasn't advised years ago when I bought my first mods. If there's liability with a rebuildable in a vape shop, then battery safety should be covered at point of sale, IMO.

Maybe new customers should buy electronic mods with an internal battery as a first device.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Maybe new customers should buy electronic mods as a first device.
That doesn't solve the problem of people carrying loose spare batteries in their pockets.

Heck, you don't even have to be a vaper to do that. A few years ago, I had an exterminator at my cabin. He was inspecting the place with what appeared to be an 18650 flashlight. I remarked that it wasn't very bright and grabbed one of mine to show him the difference. His reaction: "Yeah, I should swap in a new battery", at which point he pulled a bare 18650 out of his pocket and did so.
:shock:

Needless to say, he got a lecture from me, as well as a plastic 18650 case.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That doesn't solve the problem of people carrying loose spare batteries in their pockets.

Heck, you don't even have to be a vaper to do that. A few years ago, I had an exterminator at my cabin. He was inspecting the place with what appeared to be an 18650 flashlight. I remarked that it wasn't very bright and grabbed one of mine to show him the difference. His reaction: "Yeah, I should swap in a new battery", at which point he pulled a bare 18650 out of his pocket and did so.
:shock:

Needless to say, he got a lecture from me, as well as a plastic 18650 case.

Good catch. I meant to say mods with internal cells instead of replaceable. Fixed that in my post.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't get the hate for the sign. Yeah, people are stupid, but there is really nothing wrong with safety signs.

I mean look at Material Data Safety sheets. I USE mine, when I am using a new chemical. It's smart. But, having the information there saves a LOT of time.

If that signs saves a few "stupids" or maybe even just "uninformed on the topic completely" I am okay with it.

Anyone who has not had a "stupid" moment with their vape at one time or another is probably lying. They don' t always cause REALLY bad stuff but there is nothing wron with that sign.

Anna

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I totally understand WHY they must have a sign (lawsuits) but now should they also have a sign warning about dangers of nicotine, possible PG allergies, not to give vape to minors, excess use of menthol/cinnamon juices, and so on. Entire wall would be plastered with signs (hence the song)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I totally understand WHY they must have a sign (lawsuits) but now should they also have a sign warning about dangers of nicotine, possible PG allergies, not to give vape to minors, excess use of menthol/cinnamon juices, and so on. Entire wall would be plastered with signs (hence the song)

Shops aren’t being sued over nicotine, possible PG allergies, selling to minors, excessive use of menthol/cinnamon flavors, etc. :) They are being sued by those who have battery accidents though.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    How is a shop responsible for someone's stupidity? A lot of shops I see anymore sell the batteries in containers.

Because in America, dumb people are a protected class. Instead of trying to eradicate stupidity by holding people accountable for their own actions, we allow them to be stupid and then make someone else pay for it.

Been that way for many decades now.

Last edited:

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    Sometimes a sign is just a sign.

Freud/Andy Warhol/Jeff Foxworthy TAKE your pick. LOL.

Sometimes a sign is a deep societal commentary into the... F it. This is not worth my philosophical musings, to read OR right them.

Anna

it's not never not worth it. i think it actually tells many things. the mantras we make can uncover the marketing/profit schemes, the lifestyling of things and economic mode, the conformity mechanisms every new social group go for, and yes the effect of the judicial system and regulations in normal behaviour. Like the whole advanced/beginner dichotomy paired with the MTL/DL one and its subsequent contradiction at the advanced level; the phrasing of 'practice X safely'; the model-style dating to year and other phrasing familiar from industries like automobiles, fashion and even food (like teatime's matching of flavours to (meal)time of day); the macho and feminine flavours; etc.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread