Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Just in case some of our younger posters are having trouble picturing the type of scale used back in those days, this but instead of the 2 lines to match up, it had a pointer stopping just short of the fixed line.

il_340x270.1281451709_lzec.jpg

Since looking down at it from a standing position wasn't 100% accurate, the old bat would bend over to get an eye level view to see if any part of the line/pointer went above the line and any fraction above the line and postage due.

She probably did that on purpose to make sure she got her lower back exercise reps in for the day. That, and rolling the desk chair by paddling with her legs. Office work can be boring. Gotta do something to liven up the day.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I have never calibrated my AWS LB-501 scales.

Me either. Until, after a few months of mixing I thought the amount looked off in the 30ml bottles I put the juice in for vaping. So, I measured and I was pretty far off. Now, I add the calibrate to the front of each mixing session.

Just dumping a nickle in the tray would be lots easier!

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I am afraid my full "Nebraska experience" culminates in 3 drive-throughs, as I was traveling on various coast-to-coast trips. I do recall a severe absence of structures, in all but the east end, of the state.

I just had to bring this back up to mention.......

Yes, I am in rural Nebraska where there is little to see, including the lack of other vapers. But I got to enjoy the total solar eclipse by taking a 30 mile drive for the perfect view given "the absence of structures!" :pervy: :D Equally fascinating was seeing bumper to bumper traffic on these barren two lane highways!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

Yes, I am in rural Nebraska where there is little to see, including the lack of other vapers. But I got to enjoy the total solar eclipse by taking a 30 mile drive for the perfect view given "the absence of structures!" :pervy: :D Equally fascinating was seeing bumper to bumper traffic on these barren two lane highways!
We were only getting 67% view, so I just stepped outside & looked up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I used to work with a guy from Nebraska. He grew up on a farm where his family raised various types of grains. His job and his brothers' jobs were to climb down into the silos and stomp around and pack everything down while grain was falling from a conveyor up top.He was a stocky guy with weight lifter legs!

I was into star gazing many years ago and bought an 8" Celestron C8 telescope. I finally sold it because the skies were too light polluted around here to make astronomy interesting. I bet Nebraska would be a hoot for star gazing.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I used to work with a guy from Nebraska. He grew up on a farm where his family raised various types of grains. His job and his brothers' jobs were to climb down into the silos and stomp around and pack everything down while grain was falling from a conveyor up top.He was a stocky guy with weight lifter legs!

I grew up in a small town, but worked for a few farmers. Inside filling silo was the worst, trudging around in circles all day breathing that dust....and to think some worry about vaping!

I was into star gazing many years ago and bought an 8" Celestron C8 telescope. I finally sold it because the skies were too light polluted around here to make astronomy interesting. I bet Nebraska would be a hoot for star gazing.

Man, there was nothing better then drifting across a Nebraska lake in a boat on a warm summer night dragging a line baited with cut up crappie, leaning back looking up at the stars, sipping a cold one while waiting for a 20 pounder to take the bait!

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
I finally got my scale and started mixing by weight. I still had to use a few glass droppers. I'm not going to change all my flavors to drippers. Just being able to do the VG and nic is awesome help. This is how I'll show my SIL to mix. Ill be glad to never have to use syringes again. :) mixed 4 sample 30s today . So easy. Thanks to the OP.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I finally got my scale and started mixing by weight. I still had to use a few glass droppers. I'm not going to change all my flavors to drippers. Just being able to do the VG and nic is awesome help. This is how I'll show my SIL to mix. Ill be glad to never have to use syringes again. :) mixed 4 sample 30s today . So easy. Thanks to the OP.

DIY is a great way to create liquid that you really like. SO much of the commercial juice is overflavored once you get to the point that your taste buds return to normal.

I use droppers and pipettes. Droppers are good for small amounts. Pipettes are good for larger amounts. You can't beat a condiment bottle for PG and VG.

Congrats!

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
NOTES

I mix for several family members and a couple of friends so I mix at least 10-15 bottles a week and I find this the simplest and fastest way to make juice. Also, remember that a single drop weighs .03-.04g. If you off by a couple of hundredths, don't sweat it. That is less than one drop and that is the smallest we can dispense. I hope the above post is helpful to some of you. Bellow are a few random thoughts and information from my experience. Of course, YMMV

Scales:
Pictured above is the Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales LB-501 Digital Kitchen Scale: Kitchen & Dining scale and it works fine but I will not buy it again. I will be spending a few more dollars and go back to this scale 500g x 0.01g High Precision Digital Scale SF-400D2 Counting w/ USB Wall Adapter . It is much faster making it easier to be accurate and it has a larger read out and does not auto shut off in battery mode. Cheaper scales are available but you do get what you pay for to some degree. Make sure it goes to .00 and I would recommend at least a 500g capacity.

Weights:
  • Weight of PG: 1.038 grams per ml
  • Weight of VG: 1.26 grams per ml
  • Weight of Pure Nicotine: 1.01 grams per ml

• Weight of 100mg in PG: 1.035 grams per ml

• Weight of 60mg in PG: 1.03632 grams per ml

• Weight of 50mg in PG: 1.0366 grams per ml

• Weight of 48mg in PG: 1.036656 grams per ml

• Weight of 36mg in PG: 1.036992 grams per ml

• Weight of 24mg in PG: 1.037328 grams per ml

• Weight of 100mg in VG: 1.235 grams per ml

• Weight of 60mg in VG: 1.245 grams per ml

• Weight of 50mg in VG: 1.2475 grams per ml

• Weight of 48mg in VG: 1.248 grams per ml

• Weight of 36mg in VG: 1.251 grams per ml

• Weight of 24mg in VG: 1.254 grams per ml

Nicotine:
I have used Nic. from several different vendors and most are quite adequate but they can vary by taste and throat hit. Currently I am using Nic. from Vapers Tech. A great thread on different nicotine's is Nicotine Comparisons. It is long but read back several pages then jump in to the thread. Nicotine, properly frozen, will last several years.

Flavor:
I primarily use flavors from Perfumer's Apprentice, Flavor West and e-aromashop-INAWERA GROUP along with several select flavors from different makers. Each maker has it's strong points and certain stand out flavors. Bull City Vapor - Best Prices on DIY e-liquid Supplies and Wizard Labs are good source for small amounts but you can often save money by buying directly from the manufacturer. In the future (post deemings) we should still be able to buy flavors as they are in food manufacture and it doesn't appear they can ban them (but Wizard and Bull City may not be around)

Bottles:
E-bay and Amazon can fill most of your container needs. Glass Bottle Outlet is also an excellent source.

Labels:
You can create custom labels using Avery address labels.

Read Danny45's blogs
Read BillsMajicVapor's blogs
Check out the TFA thread

Happy mixing!

Hello @Capt.shay

Thank you for this great thread. I got the scale you linked, and Im ready to put it to use.
So basically look at ones recipe and convert ml to grams and "tare" in between each new ingredient?

I hope this works out, cause after doing my own NET, using bought tobacco flavors is so much less mess and time. Now I want to really step it up and have even less of a mess. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Wphew, I just skimmed this entire thread. After my last mixing by volume fiasco (the husband hid the syringes after I washed them, or I hid them from myself) and using a mix of drops and baking equipment? (Which was well sterilized afterward, nicotine cake anyone?) Well, I am going to go the way of the weigh, for sure. My mixes turned out okay, but I'm fairly sure they were far from accurate. I already have a rather precise digital scale, I think this next time is going to be way easier....

Oh, I mighta bailed on mixing like McGuyver, but I had everything out, ready to go, warmed up (except my syringes) from the looks of things this is going to suit me far better.... Thanks to Capt.shay for starting the thread and all the good information contained within it. :)

Anna

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
So basically look at ones recipe and convert ml to grams and "tare" in between each new ingredient?

Yes. Are you using a recipe calculator? Most have an option to show the gram weight. Mine has a spot in the ingredient editor to enter the gram weight (which can be found on the manufacturer's site or various recipe/flavor sites) or it can be calculated by pg/vg ratio.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have to see if the calc Im using has a gram choice.
I like how your calculator is arranged, might have to try that one out. Mine does not seem to be able to save the recipe, so I take a screen shot and save it as a tif.

Im so excited. I will update to let you know how it went.

Where can I get that calc?

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I have to see if the calc Im using has a gram choice.
I like how your calculator is arranged, might have to try that one out. Mine does not seem to be able to save the recipe, so I take a screen shot and save it as a tif.

Im so excited. I will update to let you know how it went.

Where can I get that calc?
Juice Calculator - download site
New Calculator to try - ECF support thread for it

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
View attachment 685287 Hello Fozzy71. I cant seem to find the way to convert ml to grams. Im kinda slow :)
These are the only options I get
Tools > Options > Recipe Defaults tab > Hide Values section remove the check mark from the [ ] 'Don't show grams' option and save your changes/defaults.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
thanks Fozzy71 found it now. DOH....

So I want to do a bottle tonight.
So I put the bottle on, tare / zero out, then add the next ingredient and zero out/ tare with each added ingredient ?

I just like to double check since I plan on doing a 250ml bottle . Thank you all for all the help and guidance.

I will update with the results of my first by weight bottle venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread