Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I too have not found a good Virginia, so far all too sweet, I have not tried the FA, but was thinking of giving it a try.

So far my favorites are :
INW Cuban Absolute
INW Tino di Milano Cuban cigar
INW Am4a

I have others but these are the ones that I just take a draw and I feel like im in tobacco heaven.

The HA Havana is great too, but I use that at 3% rather than my usual 2%
INW Perique
FA Burley these 2 are good but not as an all day.

There is one more HA that I do like, think its the one called "Cuban" its nice but a bit mellow, I prefer the HA Hansens Havana

Hmm...all INW. After reading this thread so long, I'd expected Hangsens to be my favorites, but my favorite so far is an INW, so maybe I need to try more. I might try the Cuban & Tino, since I was a cigar fan. But you lost me with Am4a (I read it has licorice:blink: not for me!)

Perique intrigues me...I smoked American Spirit cigs, and the perique was nice.

Reactions: JD1

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I'll have to try FA Virginia, it seems like the majority shy away from sweetness but I've tried quite a few things to add some sweetness and they failed.
Carl, if you haven't tried Desert Ship, it might be for you. Seems incredibly popular, probably the single most popular sweetened tobacco flavor. I got the FA (meant to order HS), and it was very tasty after a good steep. For me, though- I can only handle a few hits of anything sweet. But many call it their ADV. I just love that we can try the flavors at about 10% of the typical cost of a 30 ml bottle.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
HS Desert Ship and Highway have a unique quality to make other flavors pop. I like very few fruit, bakery and other flavors, the few I work with taste lousy as standalones..cola for example I vaped as a standalone for a long time and it wasn't bad. I accidentally one night in a stooper put the cola into a atty of desert ship and wow it was great so I then blended the two in a larger quantity and using less cola, it had more taste than the standalone. It works also for my grape and watermelon blends so it should also work for other fruit flavors. The No5 is a bit nutty to blend with my cola and grape, it tastes a bit off.
A lot of the fruit concentrates have a bitterness/sour/chemical in them that give me a headache after a few vapes that I learned from buying commercial juices. Bakery ones are just too sweet and chemical tasting so too cut them down not to turn into syrup there is very little flavor left.
Acetyl Pyrazine (AP) is another great additive to give a yeast/bread flavor used in small percentages. I over used AP so I got tired of it and its been shelved for ages, just recently I am again enjoying the AP addition to some tobac blends.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Another mixing day is happening this week, and I have some new (to me) tobacco concentrates, that I want to mix up some single flavor testers, so I can get a feel for them. I am not expecting many (any?) of them to end up as "perfect" single flavor mixes of their own accord. I only hope to learn what each has to offer. If I happen to find a stand-alone keeper, or two, then "Bonus!"

I have followed this thread for a while now and I know all of these concentrates have already been discussed. In fact, this thread is at fault, for my purchasing most of these!:lol: I tried to search for the info, but there were just too many hits (84 for Cohiba-SC alone), and most were dead ends (flavor and brand mentioned, but no percentage; flavor and percentage mentioned but no brand; flavor, brand and percentage mentioned but mixed with other flavors, etc.). So, am throwing myself on the good nature of this community, and asking you to repeat yourselves. :blush::D

I am asking, from your experience, and current personal preference(s), for:
suggested single-flavor starting percentages for the following flavors:
Hangsen
Cohiba-HS
Desert Ship-HS
Elder Captain-HS
Flue Cured-HS
French Pipe-HS

Inawera
Gold Ducat-INW
S'Desert Ship-INW
Vanilla for Pipe-INW

Super Concentrates (brand)
Cohiba-SC
Cubana-SC
Maxx Blend-SC

I have looked at elr, and All the Flavors; but, I trust the real tobacco enthusiasts on this thread a lot more. I thank you one and all, for your suggestions!:thumbs:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I use to vape the HS desert ship at 7% and now gone down to 4% but use it in blends and rarely alone
HS Elder Captain...I only mixed it once at 5% and its IMO a bit strong so my guess would be 3 or 4% to start
SC Cohiba.. from BCF is nasty stuff. My first go was 5% and it was brutal, cut it down to 1.25% and it still can overpower a mix. I add some to a 50ml jug of other tobac, sit a few days then vape it, closest to a shake and vape tobac I do. IMO making it in a larger amount mixed with another tobac the Cohiba will overpower with a long steep time even at 1.25%. I blend the cohiba 40mls tobac then 10ml cohiba and I think thats a good ratio.
The BCF SC Real Cig tastes exactly the same as the SC Cohiba.
Maxx Blend..I don't have the SC, just the regular and its not my taste.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks @Alter.:thumb: If I am reading your post correctly, you are suggesting:
Hangsen
Cohiba-HS
Desert Ship-HS 4%
I use to vape the HS desert ship at 7% and now gone down to 4%
Elder Captain-HS 3-4%
HS Elder Captain...I only mixed it once at 5% and its IMO a bit strong so my guess would be 3 or 4% to start
Flue Cured-HS
French Pipe-HS

Inawera
Gold Ducat-INW
S'Desert Ship-INW
Vanilla for Pipe-INW

Cohiba-SC 1.25%
SC Cohiba.. from BCF is nasty stuff. My first go was 5% and it was brutal, cut it down to 1.25%
Cubana-SC
Maxx Blend-SC

Is that correct?

I am not sure about your comment:
The BCF SC Real Cig tastes exactly the same as the SC Cohiba.
Was that just saying if I have Cohiba-SC, I don't need Real Cig-SC in the future, because they are the same?

And finally; all the listed flavors were purchased from Bull City, during this past Labor Day sale.
Maxx Blend..I don't have the SC, just the regular and its not my taste.
I can only find two Maxx Blends on Bull City using "max" keyword search. One is the Super Concentrates (SC) brand, and the other is Flavour Art (FA). You say you "don't have the SC, just the regular," so, I am guessing that means you have Maxx Blend-FA? Or, were they offering a third option, that no longer appears on their website? To my knowledge, Bull City does not have a "house brand," or unbranded flavorings. Every concentrate should(?) have a brand/manufacturer associated with it... yes?

Sorry for the third degree! I value everyone's opinion and I want to make sure I am getting it correct.:D

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I haven't tried the HS Cohiba, the 10ml concentrate of SC Cohiba is enough to last me a lifetime. The Cohiba a very sharp cigar thats an acquired taste that I only like occasionally.
Yes also to the SC Real Cig, I think its exactly the same as SC Cohiba so along with that 10ml concentrate I now have 2 lifetimes supply.
I have the FA Maxx Blend.
Those are the percentages of desert ship, elder captain and cohiba that I mix as standalones then blend, so setting up in a calc I would have no idea what 20mls of a 1.25% mixed into 30mls of a 4% would be.
IMW Turkish is another that at 5% standalone tastes awful but at 2.5% , 10mls blended into 40ml of another tobac its not too bad.
I hate the ashy, dirt tasting tobacs.
I've had the maxx blend for eons, the cohiba I bought well over a couple years ago and the desert ship along with many other HS tobacs a couple summers ago I stocked up as the FDA hammer was descending down and I thought that the tobac concentrates would begin to disappear. I also bought 500mls of the RTS TA that summer, glad I did cause within a few months after it became out of stock then RTS closed.
Few other opinions of some of the tobacs I've tried
FA 7 leaves... kinda licorices taste to it
HS Tab Blended...got a caramel/butterscotch to it and I don't like any caramel in juices so I'll never vape a rye# anything.
HS Deluxe..got a chocolate tone so I mixed it with a mint and made a OK after8 flavor.
INW Canadian Type...got a maple to it and OK in very low percentage and mixed into another tobac.
INW Garuda TA...great grassy taste thats almost like the RTS TA.
RTS TA...Great grassy taste that I just don't get sick of. The only tobac I don't blend to another. 2% is what I use and the base is 4% of one of the HS tobacs.
FA SOHO...YUK old and stale taste, just the smell of the concentrate turned me off.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
Hangsens Virginia is a good not too sweet Virginia, nice at 4-6%
INW Virginia TA is a great and again not too sweet with grassy/hay flavor. 1-2.5% blended into other tobacs.
FA Virginia is sweet. 5% standalone turns almost into a deep yellow syrup and overpowers. I had to cut it down to 1.5% and still yellows other tobacs but at 1.5% its much better blended into other tobacs.
I like the INW most out of these 3 Virginias.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Hangsen
Cohiba-HS
Desert Ship-HS
Elder Captain-HS
Flue Cured-HS
French Pipe-HS

Cohiba-SC
Cubana-SC
Maxx Blend-SC

I have looked at elr, and All the Flavors; but, I trust the real tobacco enthusiasts on this thread a lot more. I thank you one and all, for your suggestions!:thumbs:
I tend to use the SC line at 3% as a standalone and 1%-2% as a mixer. Also, when I mix SC tobaccos, I try not to go over 4% of the total blend with SC tobaccos. They are strong and tend to get an odd taste if mixed too strong.

I like Cohiba-HS at 4%. Used to use it at 6% but taste buds changed and went down. I use the same percentage with Flue Cured-HS at 4%. I have to revisit the Desert Ship and Elder Captain as I really was not thrilled when I first tried them. Might try again to see if it that changed as many seem to like them. My taste buds have changed so much since I last tried them, never know, might end up liking them.

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
Has anyone ever tried the tobacco absolute from OSDIY? Looks interesting but I haven't heard anything about it. Apparently it is very thick and concentrated, more so than INWs TAs, and needs to be diluted and thinned with pg.
IF thats the same as TFA absolute that i have then its super strong grassy flavour, so take care mixing as one drip can be to much, on the TPA absolute it will be 1ml to10ml p/g then add drips to mix from there.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I tend to use the SC line at 3% as a standalone and 1%-2% as a mixer. Also, when I mix SC tobaccos, I try not to go over 4% of the total blend with SC tobaccos. They are strong and tend to get an odd taste if mixed too strong.

I like Cohiba-HS at 4%. Used to use it at 6% but taste buds changed and went down. I use the same percentage with Flue Cured-HS at 4%. I have to revisit the Desert Ship and Elder Captain as I really was not thrilled when I first tried them. Might try again to see if it that changed as many seem to like them. My taste buds have changed so much since I last tried them, never know, might end up liking them.
Thanks Vicman!:thumb:

I understand about changing taste buds all too well!
29.gif
The standard disclaimer always applies: "I reserve the right to change my mind, often and without notice, WITHOUT explanation, or justification.":lol::D

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Okay Avid...let's hear those faves? That's probably the thing that helped me most in choosing what to buy on my first order for diy - those lists of favorites. I know I have to try Gold Ducat, Elder Captain & some sort of Virginia for my next order, but looking for other ideas. Especially from veterans that have done it a while - flavors that pass the "test of time." :)
Inawera Gold Ducat isn't an all day vape for me but I do love it with a hot cup of coffee. Unfortunately, I think Inawere has changed the formula. More info here, Gold Ducat is item 16 on list: Inawera- a few reviews

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Another mixing day is happening this week, and I have some new (to me) tobacco concentrates, that I want to mix up some single flavor testers, so I can get a feel for them. I am not expecting many (any?) of them to end up as "perfect" single flavor mixes of their own accord. I only hope to learn what each has to offer. If I happen to find a stand-alone keeper, or two, then "Bonus!"

I have followed this thread for a while now and I know all of these concentrates have already been discussed. In fact, this thread is at fault, for my purchasing most of these!:lol: I tried to search for the info, but there were just too many hits (84 for Cohiba-SC alone), and most were dead ends (flavor and brand mentioned, but no percentage; flavor and percentage mentioned but no brand; flavor, brand and percentage mentioned but mixed with other flavors, etc.). So, am throwing myself on the good nature of this community, and asking you to repeat yourselves. :blush::D

Hangsen
Cohiba-HS
Desert Ship-HS
Elder Captain-HS
Flue Cured-HS
French Pipe-HS

Inawera
Gold Ducat-INW
S'Desert Ship-INW
Vanilla for Pipe-INW

Cohiba-SC
Cubana-SC
Maxx Blend-SC

The problem is, we'll all have slightly different answers. :vapor: Anyways, SC is probably my favorite line of tobacco flavors. They're super strong but I like that. I seem to be in the same camp as Vicman with 3% stand a lone and less for mixes with other flavors. For me the Cohiba is just a good broadleaf tobacco and seems to me more a pipe than a cigar flavor. Love it as a mixer. Cubana is a cigar type, and Maxx Blend a cig type, both great stand a lone or as mixers.

If you like these, be sure and put Cigar and Real Cig on your list. I like Cigar because it's mostly tobacco with just a hint of some other flavors. It's great as is, but if you want, add a little of your own flavors to take it in any direction you want. Coffee or chocolate or cherry or all the above.

Real Cig is a marl cig type flavor. I used to think it had a little bit too much ash so I always mixed it with something else, but the last time I used it I just went with a straight mix and loved it, so I guess my buds have changed some as well.

Happy vaping. :vapor:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
The problem is, we'll all have slightly different answers. :vapor:
Actually; that is what I am kind of hoping for!;) I was hoping to establish a bit of a range. I prefer to start low and work my way up as needed. But, it is nice to have a "low" end of the range, so I am not wasting time (and product) just getting there. And, it is nice to have a "high" end too, so I might have a better understanding of when I might be entering the unproductive range.:D

Thanks for the good info... I have added it to my spreadsheet!:thumbs:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

I know you were looking for personal responses, but doesn't look like you got direct answers on many. Here's a link to a spreadsheet that could be helpful- posted by Exchaner in this thread quite a while back.

You can click the Brand at top, and it will show you recommended percentage, and a bunch of user percentages. It helped me with a couple of flavors. For instance, you might see that most people (I don't know who they are??) might use a percentage higher (or lower) than recommended, so you might start a little higher or lower than standard.

edit- sorry, trying to post a link, not the sheet, but apparently don't know what I'm doing! Keeps putting media in. I'll have to learn to do that!:(
https://, then paste docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1agXdua8bEp8MV4z1mn3qX4AXCS4P0RxQXcy2lDa7ccc/pub?gid=0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread