18650 Battery won't charge and dies even if not using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbieguy123

Sep 5, 2015
So my almost brand new LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A Flat Top Battery has been having a lot of issues latey. I'm using it in my kanger subox mini starter kit, I got a dual coil built on the RBA, 1ohm each making it a .5ohm coil (not sure if the coil part has anything to do with it because the issue started when I built the new coil). When I first got this maybe 3 weeks ago, I was had an issue with the OCC coils so I started using the RBA Deck (used the coil that came preinstalled in it. It was also a .5ohm coil) for a little under a week until I broke the glass, so It wasent used for 2 weeks or so while I waited from a replacement tube (Don't know if that makes a difference). When I was using before the I broke the glass though, the Battery would last me a crazy long time, I could go through the whole day and it would still have 3/4 battery life (I'd charge it every night regardless). When I put the dual coil in on Wednesday of this week (currently Friday), the battery life I noticed would go alot quicker, but I'm not sure if its cuz of the coil or something else sense I didn't used it for like 2 weeks. It would maybe be at 3/4 battery life after 3-4 hours. I figured it was probably cuz the dual coil took more power to operate and just sorta ignored it. Thursday, yesterday, I didn't notice much change in the battery life, still probably 3/4 battery life after 3-4 hours. I didn't use it much that day so by the end of the day it was at 3/4th battery life, I turned it OFF, and I .... you not I woke up this morning (friday) to get my morning vape and the .......n thing was DEAD. I plugged her in for like 2 minutes and it had somehow gotten up to 1/4 battery life in that 2 minutes (I assume it was just under 1/4 and it woulden't let me fire it anywhere below that). So I got a few puffs out of it, turned it off, put it in my pocket and hoped I could get a few more puffs out of it untill i get home and was able to use the pass though charger. I wen't to go use it a few hours later in the day, even though it was OFF, was dead. So when I got home, I was gonna charge it. The thing had so little battery life that by the time I got home it wouldn't even display the "OFF" thing when you touch the button. Again, it was off the whole day. So I plugged it in the passthough charger, made sure it said it was charging, and I had to leave the house again for a few hours. I got back maybe 30 minutes ago now, it was charging for at least 2 or 2.5 hours. But, it was still DEAD. Couldn't get one puff out of it. I put the battery in the separate charger that I have, shes been charging for 30 minutes and the first notch is still blinking.

So I am wondering if any of you have run into something like this, and if so how to fix. I do have a second battery that I got, but I wanna fix the problem before I go and fock up my only other battery. I am wondering about the coil and if it is the cause. It is the first coil that I have built, and also when I let go of the fire button, it sorta still makes the sound it always makes while it turns the liquid into vapor for a second or two then quiets down and goes away, but I am wondering if maybe its somehow drawing just a tiny bit of power but constantly? Is that even possible? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

newbieguy123

Sep 5, 2015
Could be the charger...

Yeah but it also died over night while it was off and not plugged in. Plus I have it in the separate charger now and its been over 40 minutes and I just took it out for a second to see if the kanger would allow a puff (just to see if it was charging) and it still said it was dead and wouldn't let me fire it.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Yeah but it also died over night while it was off and not plugged in. Plus I have it in the separate charger now and its been over 40 minutes and I just took it out for a second to see if the kanger would allow a puff (just to see if it was charging) and it still said it was dead and wouldn't let me fire it.

Yes, the possibly bad charger killed it...

Reactions: newbieguy123

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The nomial voltage on my LG HG2 is 3.6V. If your referring to voltage SETTING I have it set on, I've been keeping it at around 22 Watts, which in volts with a .5ohm resistance I believe is 3.3v

No.
I mean the battery voltage.
If the battery voltage drop below a certain value (2.5 volts? 2.8 volts?) it can't be recharged by a regular charger.

And I think there is a point where if it goes too low, it becomes truely irreversibly dead.

Reactions: YoursTruli

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
ah ....! If its the mod how do I prevent it from doing this? I never let it get below 3/4th, only once before this situation was it at 2/4.

These types of mods don't always function properly. The program could have malfunctioned and let the battery drain too much. All these types of chargers are cheaply built. It's just hit or miss...

newbieguy123

Sep 5, 2015
These types of mods don't always function properly. The program could have malfunctioned and let the battery drain too much. All these types of chargers are cheaply built. It's just hit or miss...

I Actually just recalled a situation that happened twice, once just before I broke the glass, and once while I was building the coil. In both situations I had just put a new coil into the RBA, and I was dry firing it (w/o the cotton) to check for hot spots and also to adjust them with my pliers and get them nice and close together. As I was doing this, several times the battery life indicator would all the sudden be at 0, and the resistance reader would jump up to like 5ohms or some strange number, or even blink at 8.8 or 9.9. It went away after a few seconds though. Could THIS be related to the issue?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I Actually just recalled a situation that happened twice, once just before I broke the glass, and once while I was building the coil. In both situations I had just put a new coil into the RBA, and I was dry firing it (w/o the cotton) to check for hot spots and also to adjust them with my pliers and get them nice and close together. As I was doing this, several times the battery life indicator would all the sudden be at 0, and the resistance reader would jump up to like 5ohms or some strange number, or even blink at 8.8 or 9.9. It went away after a few seconds though. Could THIS be related to the issue?

Could be the mod is not functioning properly. The short could have affected the board and chip...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Wait when that happens that means its shorting? .... how do I stop that from happening when I need to dry fire them?

It should stop firing if you cause it to short, such as by accidentally touching the deck when adjusting the coils. It it doesn't stop firing if it shorts, the mod is not functioning properly. I'm not familiar with this type of mod, so no idea if it is just a normal quirk, or just doesn't work as it should...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Oh and the other thing I forgot to mention is that yesterday all day as it was in my pocket, even when it was off, I would take it out and notice that it is very warm-hot.

That is bad. It is pocket firing or auto firing and the cutoff isn't working as it should, as it should cut off. I wouldn't feel safe using it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread