Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Atomizer (or cartomizer) resistance works hand in hand with battery voltage to produce the power (measured in watts) of our vaping experience. There is even a law about it ... three interrelated laws actually.

Back in 1829, Georg Ohm, who was vying with Voltan Volt for the affection of Alma Amps, observed that Amps = Volts / Ohms. Then in 1841, Georg's friend, Jimmy Joule (who was obsessed with power), got his girlfriend, Wanda Watts, to arrange a threesome for Georg with Alma and her twin sister, that is, Watts = Amps X Amps X Ohms. Wanda, however, wasn't into girls. She liked Georg and had a crush on Voltan and his twin brother, so she took up with them, giving birth to:

Watts = Volts X Volts / Ohms

So what do these nineteenth century romantic entanglements mean to us twenty-first century vapers ... and to your specific question?

The higher the voltage of the battery, the more powerful the vape (e.g., vapor and TH). So a true 3.7V fat batt or mod will hit a bit harder than a 3.2V eGo or 510 battery; and a 5V or 6V (or variable voltage) mod will hit much harder.

Equally true: The lower the resistance of the atomizer/cartomizer, the more powerful the vape. So a 1.5 ohm "LR" 510 atomizer will hit harder than the standard 2.3 ohm resistance 510 atty.

And we now finally get to your question: There is only a subtle difference between those two options. One is not "better" than the other. The 2.4-2.6 will provide a slightly more intense vape than the 2.6-2.8 ohm (but you might prefer the higher resistance one). [BTW, the ranges (which I've seen phrased this way most often for CE2 cartomizers and clearomizers) point to the fact that resistance values are approximate and vary slightly. Some suppliers use 2.5 +/-.1 and 2.7 +/-.1. And many would call these simply 2.5 ohm and 2.7 ohm.]

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Heat is more or less proportional to the power generated at the heating coil. The unit of power is watts, and watts = volts*volts/ohms. So for a given battery voltage, such as 3.2V for a 510 regular battery, power (heat) will increase as the resistance (ohms) decreases. Current, essentially the flow of electrons from the battery, is equal to Volts/ohms, and it will also increase as ohms decreases. Higher current puts more of a strain on batteries however, but this is less so with larger batteries of ~400 mAh or more (an eGo is about 650 mAh, a regular 510 is about 160 mAh). Lower resistance means more heat, more hit, but drains the battery faster.

In addition, the range for cartos that are labeled or sold as 2.4-2.6 ohms might be as low as 2.3 ohms, or as high as 2.7 ohms or so. I have found that almost all of my 2.4 ohm cartos are actually about 2.8 ohms. So both of the ranges you give are ballpark for some general range, and might be higher. Both should be ok as far as battery health on any PV that has the correct threads.

Which is best liked really depends on the person and the voltage from the PV. 2.4 ohms on 5V will be too hot for me. 2.8 ohms on 3.2V might be too weak, but might be really nice on 5V...to me...sometimes. When first checking out cartos, I recommend getting a box of each, and just seeing which you like. Most days I like 2.0 ohms on my 3.8V KGO. Late at night, I actually prefer 3.2 ohms on my 3.2 V mega 510 batts. I want cool vapor and great flavor then, and not so much of a strong hit, just some nice puffing. More heat and power often means less flavor. Not sure why. More heat and power also means you are using up juice faster, which means you are ingesting more too, and using up the battery faster. Its really a matter of taste, which is why it is a good idea to try a range.

All of this assumes they are regular 510 or kr808 cartos, that is single coil in a roll of fillter. CE2 cartos are very different. 3.2 ohms can really hit like 2.4 ohms with those. 2.4 ohm CE2s would be way too hot for me, even on a low voltage PV, like an original 510...to me...others really like them even at higher voltage. But something about the design makes them seems much more powerful than the ohms say.

Get a box of each that you list and just find out. You won't see a big difference between them anyway, and if they were sold each range from different vendors, I would even say it is likely they are the same carto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread