Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok guys so my bad to keep taking up your time... :blush: I've been using the .5 ohm Kanthal coil and I started at about 20 watts and kept going up to and I am at about 30 watts. The problem is its not giving me that "hot" and "warm" throat hit I was getting when I was using the .4 ohm titanium coil.

Also, it makes a very short hiss sound after I vape, but only if I vape for more than a couple seconds?

The titanium dioxide Adam mentioned scared me so I will not be touching the titanium coil. Any suggestions, can I raise the watts a bit more? and/or would other level coils provide a warmer throat hit?..

Lastly, Adam mentioned the Kanthal, if it gets "too hot, will simply pop like someone cutting a wire," is this a sound or would I just get bad tasting vapes..meaning, how would I know?

Thank you guys and gals... I truly appreciate all the help.
Best Wishes...

The Short Hiss you hear is just the Coil Coiling down when you Release the Power Button. Think of it like turning Off the burner on an Electric Stove. It takes a little time for the Burner to Cool Off once the Power is cut.

---

You can Raise the Watts about as High as you like. Just go Slowly. If the Hit starts to Taste like Burnt Marshmallows, you have Reached the Limit to what the Wick/Coil can take. And going any Higher will just Ruin the Wick.

---

When a coil "Pops", you will Know it. Because no matter how Many times you push the Power Button, No Vapor will come out.

Popping a Coil is the Same thing as when a light bulb Burns Out. The Wire Inside Physically Breaks.

Reactions: OpenUpShop
Thank you so much ZoiDman,

That was a crystal clear explanation. I will do as you suggested and go up little by little to get to a good spot.. And I am glad the hissing is not something to be worried about, some other posts, I googled mentioned other things about the coil not being wet or high temps...but your electric stove analogy makes much much more sense.

Thanks a million...

Best Wishes...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you so much ZoiDman,

That was a crystal clear explanation. I will do as you suggested and go up little by little to get to a good spot.. And I am glad the hissing is not something to be worried about, some other posts, I googled mentioned other things about the coil not being wet or high temps...but your electric stove analogy makes much much more sense.

Thanks a million...

Best Wishes...

Hey No Problem.

Just passing alone what I have Picked Up along the Way.

Hello again,

I was looking up websites to purchase the Aspire Nautilus mini
Aspire Nautilus Mini - VapingMad

and/or the Kangertech Subtank
KangerTech SubTank Plus - OCC / RTA Sub-Ohm Atomizer
(websites below are just a couple I ran into)

What I am worried about is (and this may be a stupid question on my part) whether it is compatible with my VTC mini
Joyetech eVic VTC Mini Full Kit Instructions

The two issues that I couldn't get clear on, is some website claim "authentic" next to item name.... Do I have to be worried about knock offs or imitations with same name? Also, wildly varied pricing from website to website.. and on ebay they had tons, but don't know if I should be wary of purchasing it on ebay.

Lastly, they are slightly modified versions of the tanks, like the one Adam recommended was the mini, but I saw the Kangertech plus and nano...would they all fit my mod, or just specific ones? The tank I end up buying determines which coils I can use as well, correct? And are any of these the Drip tanks I've read about, I don't want to drip every time, rather the ones that I can fill and vape...

Thank you everyone, feels like I am back asking a whole bunch of questions every few minutes... Much appreciated and much obliged for your time....
Best Wishes..

Reactions: MorpheusPA
If it uses the 510 connector (authentic or imitation), it will, technically, fit.

That having been said, I've encountered some clones and fakes that had slightly unusual 510 connectors that were slightly smaller or larger bore than normal. That can, quickly or slowly, destroy the threads on your mod. Plus the threads will wear away slowly over time, but quite slowly on the eVic as it features steel thread. Any mod with zinc threads tends to wear quickly.

To counter that, I always use a 510 to 510 adapter (or 510 to eGo adapter in my case since I prefer a topper with an eGo thread). If I strip the threading, it's only on the cheap adapter and I unscrew that and throw it away. They make shorty adapters that don't stick up much, or you can use an airflow adapter instead if you prefer.

However, both the Aspire and Kanger are technically 510 thread and, except for that potential stripping issue, will fit.

and on ebay they had tons, but don't know if I should be wary of purchasing it on ebay.

I'm always wary about eBay unless I'm pretty familiar with the vendor. Just sayin'. Sometimes you can do a forum search on the vendor to see if they're good. If they are, you can probably buy without any worries at all.

Lastly, they are slightly modified versions of the tanks, like the one Adam recommended was the mini, but I saw the Kangertech plus and nano...would they all fit my mod, or just specific ones?

In this case, and with most items, they'll fit your mod as they use the standard 510 thread. The vast majority of items are either 510 or eGo threaded, with 510 becoming a lot more common. The eGo is a 510 with an outer thread skirt.

That aforementioned 510 to eGo adapter will take care of wanting to use an eGo threaded item on a 510 mod if you decide you want to (as I do).

The tank I end up buying determines which coils I can use as well, correct?

Yes! They'll usually have a direct link to the coil(s) that fit(s), or it's easy to look up the style online. If you choose several different tanks, you might end up with several different styles of coil.

(Pro Tip: Some coils are easy to rewire and re-wick yourself if you want to. Some aren't. Research that first if you think you're going to end up rebuilding your own coils).

Hope everyone had a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving.

Thank you very much Morpheus, truly appreciate all the time you took and thoroughness of your answers. Its amazing how many different variable there are to Vaping. The first time I used a co-worker's vapor and actually thought about quitting cigarettes, I figured the learning curve would be a bit steep as he was telling me about all the different components. However, I didn't realize it would be this steep.... hehe..

But thanks to you Morpheus.. and Adam, and ZoiDman and everyone at ECF....I have already learned a great deal and I keep reading to learn even more...

I kept getting a "burnt" taste even after changing coils and with the .5 ohm coil.. and at even lower wattage. What I finally realized is my tank along with most sub tanks are not built to accommodate any nicotine level above 6mgn. I always heard of people vaping at 24mg or 18mg and wondered how since it was so high, it finally dawned on me about sub tanks requiring much less nicotine since you get more nicotine per vape than non subs..

The only thing I can attribute the burnt and harsh throat hit was to the fact that I was vaping at about 8mg. I am going to play around with the ejuicemeup calculator and the concentrates I just got to see how it tastes at 5 or 6mg. But most websites had the following warning on their

Tip for new users: We strongly suggest 6mg eLiquid or lower with this atomizer. Sub-ohm atomizers produce higher throat hit than low and standard resistance atomizers. Using this atomizer with a nicotine level above 6mg will usually taste burnt or harsh.

I was stuck with family for a couple of days, but today I will order the Kangertech plus... I like the fact it has a 7ml capacity so I don't have to refill and comes with ability to rebuild the coils, and I really want to learn. Maybe for now I will use the prebuilt ones until I am sure I can rebuild correctly..

Thank you guys and gals... much obliged.
Best Wishes...

Just an update...I ordered the kangertech plus (can't wait till it gets here) Damn thing was sold out in so many websites... i guess that's a good thing. Great that its comes with the ability to build your own as well as use prebuilt coils...

Going back to Adam's post about Kanthal's superiority, I have been watching rebuild coil rebuild videos. The process seems much less daunting than I believed it would be....

I ordered 100 feet 24 gauge kanthal wire along with organic cotton. And to follow the safety protocols, I ordered an ohm reader to make sure I can test the resistance. I am still a bit nervous but I guess practice will make perfect...

Thank you everyone..Best Wishes...

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Just an update...I ordered the kangertech plus (can't wait till it gets here) Damn thing was sold out in so many websites... i guess that's a good thing. Great that its comes with the ability to build your own as well as use prebuilt coils...

Going back to Adam's post about Kanthal's superiority, I have been watching rebuild coil rebuild videos. The process seems much less daunting than I believed it would be....

I ordered 100 feet 24 gauge kanthal wire along with organic cotton. And to follow the safety protocols, I ordered an ohm reader to make sure I can test the resistance. I am still a bit nervous but I guess practice will make perfect...

Happy late thanksgiving to you to!

Nice! It's good that your going to start rebuilding. It really makes the process of elimination more simply defined when you know it's your coil and your cotton that you wicked.
You won't have to worry about prebuilt coil issues anymore and I was always curious when I used prebuilt coils of what exactly was in those coils to the point of tearing one apart and finding out.. I was using a pro tank 3 with the prebuilt coils and when I took that coil apart and saw what it was I knew that I wanted to build my own coils.

Your on the right track :)

I really think you will like the outcome of your own built coil.

Reactions: OpenUpShop
I always test new coil rebuilds on a device that has protection against hard shorts. That way, if I left a little bit of wire dangle that doesn't matter when testing with the ohm meter but DOES matter when screwing the atty on, I catch that as well. But I'm rebuilding Kanger T3 and T3S coils that aren't, strictly speaking, made to be re-built.

I then do my dry burn on that device as well.

And yes, even on oddball coils like the T3, rebuilding isn't difficult. Just a bit tedious.

Thanks Adam... and I am looking forward to not paying so much since the building cost will be so much less than the prebuilts...plus this stuff is a lot of fun... hehe

Morpheus, should I have ordered a device that checks the hard shorts, or is that only really imperative in respect to your T3 and T3S rebuilts or will I be okay with just the regular ohm reader?
I plan on watching several more videos and reading more even to the point of overkill before attempting my first rebuild, just so I can do it correctly and safely.

Thanks...Best Wishes...

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Be sure to tighten first and then clip the coil leads as close to the posts as possible. Then go back and recheck and tighten until secure.

Inspect and make sure nothing is on the rba deck like a cut piece of kanthal. The only wire you want on the deck is the coil and the legs going into the posts.

Then check it on the ohm meter. After that do a final inspection to make sure the 510 threads are clean and contact points.

Now you can put it on your mod and pulse fire it until it glows from the center of the coil out.

Luke matt

Nov 29, 2015
Webster Massachusetts
Hello EFC Community,

First thank you everyone here, You guys gave me the courage (I didn't think I had) to quit cigarettes after reading posts. There are forums throughout the internet about every possible subject, however, few change peoples lives. This one has, at least for me.

I had once tried an electronic cigarette, but it was so weak, I thought I could never replace cigarette smoking with it. However, after reading posts here, I decided to give it another try.

Although a nervous wreck the first couple of days in fear of possibly failing, I have managed not to touch an analog cigarette in one week. I have been using a VTC mini with 8mg of nicotine, a .4 ohm titanium coil (the one that came with the mod) and its set to VW mode.

I would truly appreciate some help with the settings, as even though I scoured the boards for information, the information was a bit overwhelming.

The gentleman that put the titanium coil inside the vtc for me, told me not go above 45 watts in vw mode. I really want to try changing the settings to see if I could get a better taste and hit, however, I saw some posts about not using one mode at this temperature or that mode with that setting or this coil with that settings, etc etc. I even saw some posts saying I could possibly inhale dangerous fumes if I set certain settings wrong.

Please excuse my ignorance as I am so new to this. Can someone please answer the following questions for me: (Please be as lengthy as possible in your answers as this is completely new to me)

1) What is the advantage of changing to a different ohm coil and if I do, what settings range should I set it to to be safe. Also, any reason why the gentleman told me not to go past 45 watts with this coil in vw mode?

2) What is the range of wattage that I can set to in vw mode with different ohm coils?

3) What ohm coil(s) to use in vv mode, at what settings and what are the advantage or differences?

4) How to use bypass mode and why would one do so?

I apologize for such a long post and I understand this is a lot of information to ask for...and I understand different settings work for different people, however, I just want to get to a place where the vaping is enough for me and I don't think about cigarettes. Your help would be invaluable to me. Thank you so much everyone, I am much obliged to everyone here.

Best Wishes...
OpenUpShop

Luke matt

Nov 29, 2015
Webster Massachusetts
Thanks Adam... and I am looking forward to not paying so much since the building cost will be so much less than the prebuilts...plus this stuff is a lot of fun... hehe

Morpheus, should I have ordered a device that checks the hard shorts, or is that only really imperative in respect to your T3 and T3S rebuilts or will I be okay with just the regular ohm reader?
I plan on watching several more videos and reading more even to the point of overkill before attempting my first rebuild, just so I can do it correctly and safely.

Thanks...Best Wishes...

Thank you Adam... I will definitely be referring back to your last post when I build. I noticed even on the videos, they were doing exactly what you just said...tightening, checking and re tightening and flipping video sideways to show nothing was on the deck... Much thanks...

Best Wishes...

Luke matt

Nov 29, 2015
Webster Massachusetts
Best wishes to you Adam. Vaping has saved my life and health and money. Keep up with the vaping. It does cost a little bit more than buying a pack of cigarettes, but in the long run you will find out that it is a lot cheaper than buying a pack of cigarettes. And the health benefits way out more than smoking cancer stick's. VAPE STRONG BRO AND GOD BLESS.

In my case, my vision is terrible and I work under a four inch magnifying glass. Even so, I can't see the bits of Kanthal against the gray steel of the base, so I do occasionally miss some. Lately I seem to be getting better about that.

I do find that, when building large numbers of coils (which probably won't be an issue for you using that RBA), do five or so at a time and take a break. Mistakes become less common because you don't get fatigued.

Your eVic Mini will already protect you against hard shorts so you're good to go there. I tend to install new coils on my old Vamo V2 since I don't care too much about the device at this point (even if it died, I still have a Vamo V6 waiting in the wings). Death by bad coil is very unlikely and I could really use my every day box mod (right now, Kanger 30W Mini, soon to be an eVic VTC Mini) to test and dry burn.

Thank you Morpheus...it didn't even occur to me to build several at a time but your so right about fatigue and mistakes going hand in hand.....
I am glad I don't have to worry about the hard shorts issue. Can't wait till this thing gets here...lol...

Thanks again, great info.
Best Wishes...

Reactions: MorpheusPA

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Hope everyone had a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving.

I kept getting a "burnt" taste even after changing coils and with the .5 ohm coil.. and at even lower wattage. What I finally realized is my tank along with most sub tanks are not built to accommodate any nicotine level above 6mgn. I always heard of people vaping at 24mg or 18mg and wondered how since it was so high, it finally dawned on me about sub tanks requiring much less nicotine since you get more nicotine per vape than non subs..

The only thing I can attribute the burnt and harsh throat hit was to the fact that I was vaping at about 8mg. I am going to play around with the ejuicemeup calculator and the concentrates I just got to see how it tastes at 5 or 6mg. But most websites had the following warning on their

Tip for new users: We strongly suggest 6mg eLiquid or lower with this atomizer. Sub-ohm atomizers produce higher throat hit than low and standard resistance atomizers. Using this atomizer with a nicotine level above 6mg will usually taste burnt or harsh.

I was stuck with family for a couple of days, but today I will order the Kangertech plus... I like the fact it has a 7ml capacity so I don't have to refill and comes with ability to rebuild the coils, and I really want to learn. Maybe for now I will use the prebuilt ones until I am sure I can rebuild correctly..

Thank you guys and gals... much obliged.
Best Wishes...

Oops...hit the button too quick. I vape 1.5 ohm coils on both my iSticks and my MVPs...I use the GS Air M tank with GS Air coils, and the Anyvape Cero tank with Aspire coils. I never heard that you "couldn't" use higher nic with the subohm type tanks. Only that you very likey will WANT lower nic. Of course, not being a subohm-er and strictly a Tootle Puffer at around 7 to 8 watts..I really am not sure.

The burnt taste might be due to not priming your coil properly. You need to drip juice in the side holes until the wicking material is pretty saturated. You also can drop a few drops down in the center tube. That should help.

I use a clear menthol 85PG/15VG DIY juice and have gotten around 2 to 6 weeks average on my coils.

Luke matt

Nov 29, 2015
Webster Massachusetts

I know you can do it. Just take your time and don't rush. I only have the use of one hand, and I built 22 gauge kanthal on my twisted messes RDA. So I know you can build on anything. I have faith in you. And a ohm readers is VERY IMPORTANT when building your own coils. I bought the coil master DIY kit off sweet-vapes it comes with everything you need to build your own coils. VAPE STRONG AND GOD BLESS. Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread