A few basic hardware questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKmtl

Jun 1, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I'm considering getting into vaping as an evening/weekend thing to cut back on smoking at home. I've searched around a bit, read some reviews, and now I have my eyes set on either an iStick + Nautilus Mini or an Aspire Premium Kit.

But before I take the dive, I have some complete n00b concerns that I'd rather not air face-to-face with the vape store people :p So:

1) Can the pen-shaped combinations (like the Aspire Premium Kit) lay on their sides without leaking juice all over everything?

2) Can batteries be charged with the tank still attached, or do you have to disassemble it all? And if you do, how leaky would the tank be when it's detached?

3) I'd be switching flavours pretty regularly, I think. Is flavour cross-over a big concern if you don't swap out your coil/wick with each new tankful?

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
I'm considering getting into vaping as an evening/weekend thing to cut back on smoking at home. I've searched around a bit, read some reviews, and now I have my eyes set on either an iStick + Nautilus Mini or an Aspire Premium Kit.

But before I take the dive, I have some complete n00b concerns that I'd rather not air face-to-face with the vape store people :p So:

1) Can the pen-shaped combinations (like the Aspire Premium Kit) lay on their sides without leaking juice all over everything?

2) Can batteries be charged with the tank still attached, or do you have to disassemble it all? And if you do, how leaky would the tank be when it's detached?

3) I'd be switching flavours pretty regularly, I think. Is flavour cross-over a big concern if you don't swap out your coil/wick with each new tankful?

Welcome to ECF! I'm sure plenty of others will pop in to answer your questions, but here's my take:

1. Some tanks leak when left on their side and some don't. I don't own an Aspire Atlantis tank, but I'm sure someone who does will be able to address this.

2. While tanks can be left on a device while charging, it's generally safest to take them off first. You can remove a tank from a device without having to disassemble the entire tank. In fact, most of us have multiple tanks (with juice in them) so that we can switch flavors easily. Detached tanks generally don't leak on their own, unless they're defective in some way.

3. This one kinda comes down to personal preference. Some here swap out their coil heads and wash their tank out whenever they switch flavors. Others simply fill with a different flavor and keep going. Cross-contamination of flavor tends to go away after your first handful of puffs although some flavors, like cinnamon and coffee, for example, tend to stick around in a tank until you change your coil head and give the tank a good washing. Personally, sometimes I'll change the wick and coil and sometimes I'll just throw a new flavor in. It really depends on the juice I'm using and how lazy I'm feeling at the time. ;)

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
Most of those type of clearomizers are okay to lay on their sides. Only way to find out is to try it and see ;) Just kidding, but I think you'll probably be fine in this case.

You should be okay to charge with your tank still attached, but removing it can minimize the damage if something in the device fails during the charging process. It's all up to you. A lot of the early devices' chargers hooked up directly to the connector, so in those cases there was no choice but to remove your atomizer to charge, but nowadays most devices have a separate charge port and it's not really an issue.

If you're using juice flavors that work well together, by all means you can just top off with the new juice. You might like the combo or you might not, heck you might even discover a combination that you really enjoy :) If the tank was empty when you put in a different juice, usually the old flavor won't last very long, though some flavors can be stubborn and really stick around for a while. It's all up to preference there

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Good advice given above. :thumb:

I might add, any device containing liquid has the "potential" to leak, usually caused by "user error". Early tanks often leaked, but today's technology has lessened this possibility.

If using a variety of flavors, the best solution is to dedicate separate tanks for different flavors. Flavors tend to "bleed" together after changing flavors, especially the stronger flavors like Cinnamon and Mint (or menthol).

:rules: The first rule of vaping is, "Backups for your backups". You can't vape if you don't have a working battery, a working tank, or have no e-liquid. Vaping gear is not perfect, so expect occasional failures along the way. Have a backup for each part of your setup.

Proper Terminology: Juice Delivery Devices

A Good Starter Setup for a Beginning Vaper

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

CKmtl

Jun 1, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Thanks people!

I was mainly worried about juice leaking out through the tip when it's laying on its side.

I think, for now, I'll go with an iStick, since portability isn't one of my main concerns. It should sit up straight just fine from what I've seen. And it seems like the better battery between those two options.

So what do you people do with all of these different filled tanks?

I might add, any device containing liquid has the "potential" to leak, usually caused by "user error". Early tanks often leaked, but today's technology has lessened this possibility.

Oh, don't I know it. As an apartment maintenance guy, I could write a few books about the consequences of user error and plumbing.

Lastoria

Jun 4, 2015
Very nice choice on a starter tank. The nautilus mini will blow your mind. Prepare to have your life changed haha. As for the battery. I say it depends on which I stick. I have the mvp3 which I love.
The starter kit from aspire is a pretty nice deal though so should be enough to get you started. Also be weary of darker juices. The nat bvc coils don't like them too much and will lower the coil life span. Clearer juices are better for any coil in general.

eandrews53

Mar 16, 2014
Las Vegas, NV

Good Morning CKmtl,
I've been vaping for about a year now and spent a good deal of money I didn't have to. If I were to start today, I'd get the new Kanger Sub-Box kit. It's as close to an "all inclusive" kit as there is. The box stands up by itself so no worries about it leaking laying down. All you need is an 18650 battery, actually, a pair and a good quality charger. imrbatteries.com or illumn.com has Sony VTC4's LG HE4's, etc. See battery basics at this forum. Xtar and Nitecore make excellent chargers. I recommend the Nitecore D2 (or D4). You'll need to change wicks when you change e-liquid flavors. At this point I have several tanks and use each one for different flavor types. One for tobacco flavors, one for fruity flavors and one for "other" flavors. With tanks like the Kanger sub tank, Billow V2, or the Kayfun V4, you can turn them upside down and remove the bottom with the coil without empting the whole tank. PERFECT. Hope this helps some and remember, youtube can be a noobies best friend. HAPPY VAPING.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
:facepalm: I suppose I walked into that one.

I meant filled ones that aren't currently on-the-go and connected. Like, are they just rattling around on a desk?
Back in the day when I was using cartotanks, I usually had at least 10 tanks set up simultaneously...each with their own flavor. It was simple to switch flavors, just by changing the tank on top of my battery device.

I kept my variety of tanks in a converted tool case, but there are other options...such as larger medicine bottles. Places like Hobby Lobby have lots of ways to carry/transport tanks...use your imagination. Some people use cosmetic organizers at home.

720318_1.jpg
Organizer_with_12_Lipstick_Holder.jpg
tool kit & cosmetics organizer

Last edited:

CHRIS GREER

Jun 5, 2015

From my experience, you can charge with the tank on it's side. It all depends on the style you get. If you went with an rda, then it would leak.
As for mixing liquids. I do it quite often and don't have a problem.

The tanks shouldn't leak when detached with the base and everything connected

Hi CK, Plumber huh? Modern quality tanks like a Nautilus are not prone to leaking, but I will mention that if a tank is left in a warming environment the warming air in the tank will expand and can put pressure on the liquid sometimes forcing it out. Not the tank's fault, usually not a disaster either. Just something to be aware of.
SeeYa, Red
ps - Also, like Baditude said - have a backup. Get a cheap blister pack setup to use while you figure out what went wrong with your good unit.
SeeYa

Last edited:

Dozerman

Jun 9, 2015
Ontario Canada
I started a few days ago with an istick 50w and a Starr tank. So far I love it. Fairly inexpensive but enough of a kick that I shouldn't need to upgrade for quite a while (Yeah... right). I like it because it Looks good, it's easy to use and it still fits in my pocket. I've seen some bad reviews but a lot more good ones. Like everything I guess, you're bound to find a bad one now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread