Status
Not open for further replies.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
View media item 428256
This could have been my face this morning - luckily it was my thigh! I'm still shaking. Also luckily I was wearing thick cotton slacks - don't know what would have happened if I had been wearing something synthetic because there was fire.

View media item 428254
This is the result of what I suppose you would call venting of and IMR supposedly perfectly good Efest battery which exploded inside my SMPL mech mod. This was a battery I had been happily using for the past 10 days or so on a mod that I received yesterday and which worked perfectly fine all day yesterday using the same battery or its twin since I got a pack of two.

This is the state of my desk right after the explosion.

I'm having trouble adding pictures but there are more.... I need to figure it out and I'll be back.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I'm still having trouble adding pics to this album which apparently is the only way you can add pics to a post on this new interface. (Let me know if there is a more direct way please). Anyways this was this morning. It's my son's birthday today so I was getting ready to go and have lunch at his place. I was placing my most favourite Kanger Geni tank on this Smpl mod so as not to carry my larger battery. The tank didn't seem to be making contact so I tightened it down slightly further, not much mind you.. didn't have time to tighten too much anyway because the whole thing exploded, and there was some fire coming out of it before I threw it away from me. My whole room was covered in soot. There's a gash on my pretty high ceiling about 15 ft behind where I was sitting and also sooty marks on the wall about the door of the room some 20 feet away.

Naturally the tank was totally ruined.. even the solid SS chimney is now crooked and even though the battery vented from the bottom, luckily! There is no trace of the fire buttom though the spring is still intact. Also luckily I was able the salvage my keyboard which initially I thought had been ruined as well.

I do have more pictures but like I said I am having trouble uploading them>~

Was was it my fault? the fault of the battery? the fault of the mod? What do I do, apart from trying to get over the shock. Please advise. Thank you.

Vatic

Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Ohio
I'm still having trouble adding pics to this album which apparently is the only way you can add pics to a post on this new interface. (Let me know if there is a more direct way please). Anyways this was this morning. It's my son's birthday today so I was getting ready to go and have lunch at his place. I was placing my most favourite Kanger Geni tank on this Smpl mod so as not to carry my larger battery. The tank didn't seem to be making contact so I tightened it down slightly further, not much mind you.. didn't have time to tighten too much anyway because the whole thing exploded, and there was some fire coming out of it before I threw it away from me. My whole room was covered in soot. There's a gash on my pretty high ceiling about 15 ft behind where I was sitting and also sooty marks on the wall about the door of the room some 20 feet away.

Naturally the tank was totally ruined.. even the solid SS chimney is now crooked and even though the battery vented from the bottom, luckily! There is no trace of the fire buttom though the spring is still intact. Also luckily I was able the salvage my keyboard which initially I thought had been ruined as well.

Was was it my fault? the fault of the battery? the fault of the mod? What do I do, apart from trying to get over the shock. Please advise. Thank you.

by screwing the tank down further, you dead shorted the battery because the positive center pin and the outter threads of the tank made contact with the battery. Hybrid top cap mods should only be used with adjustable center pin tanks or atomizers.

I made a video rant about this topic exactly several months ago.

Last edited:

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
DSC_0138_resize.JPG
DSC_0138_resize.JPG DSC_0146_resize.JPG DSC_0129_resize.JPG DSC_0131_resize.JPG

Yes the atty was on top of the mod. Pic 1 is the state of the atty now. Pic 2 is the bottom of the mod. Pic 3 is the dent on the ceiling, you don't see it in the pic but there are also a few droplets of what seems to be liquid up there. Pic 4 is the soot marks on the wall 20 feet behind me. I really can't figure out the trajectory.. I know I felt a burn on my thigh, then saw fire coming out of the mod which I promptly threw away from me... luckily we have tiled floors. The fire button is untraceable.. probably melted. The spring I found on my desk though, still intact with not even any burn marks on it.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

It was the fault of the mod design.
    Mods with no center pin (hybrid top caps) should only be used by those that are so well versed that they wouldn't even have to ask what the problem was.

If the ground portion of the atties 510 connector touches the battery .... the mod explodes/battery vents.

Last edited:

umanbean

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 28, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Inappropriate

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    I appreciate all your help. I would also appreciate no snarky remarks. I am currently not in a state to take them. If you don't have constructive advice to give please say nothing at all. I really am in no mood for know-it-all remarks and running down someone who has just had a very scary accident.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    I think direct connect mods are still the worst invention yet, never come with warnings, and no one tells you what to do.

And I can't stand them being called hybrids, they have nothing in common with a real hybrid other then the pin touching the battery.

At least your safe and that's all that counts

Vatic

Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    I appreciate all your help. I would also appreciate no snarky remarks. I am currently not in a state to take them. If you don't have constructive advice to give please say nothing at all. I really am in no mood for know-it-all remarks and running down someone who has just had a very scary accident.

Just to let you know, I was in no way chastising you about this. Several months ago on another forum a similar incident happened and it was because a shop owner sold a similar setup to which you just had an unfortunate accident with and it prompted me to make that video. I'm glad your ok.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread