Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
This is what causes it see how flat the pin is compared to the threaded part? It needs to stick out a lot more
images.jpg

When both parts touch the batterybattery you have a dead short when you press the button..

It may even work for a while until the battery top gets dented allowing the connector to sink in and touch

Reactions: Baditude

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
It was the fault of the mod design.
Mods with no center pin (hybrid top caps) should only be used by those that are so well versed that they wouldn't even have to ask what the problem was.

If the ground portion of the atties 510 connector touches the battery .... the mod explodes/battery vents.

I've always been amazed that mods with hybrid top caps ever made it into the mainstream vaping marketplace. Kinda like if Ford decided to sell street legal top fuel dragsters on their lots.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
this is why most people on here recommend doing research and being well versed in mechanical mods before you go out and do it. I was just discussing this in another thread, but most of these mechanical mods dont come with instructions, and it is up to the user to do the research and educate themselves on the mod they are purchasing. mechanical mods are a whole 'nother story when you compare them to regulated mods, there is no chip/board protecting you from overlooking extremely important factors. This is not at all me taking a dig at you OP, but this is just another reason why we have to educate people, and those out there who are wanting or even thinking of using a mech mod we need to stress that understanding how to use it and prevent mishaps like this happening is EXTREMELY important.

As for the explosion, like some people said, you basically shorted the battery because the center pin and the body of the atomizer/tank made direct contact with the battery causing it to short and boom.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Sorry for coming across in a harsh manor, but darn it, this is becoming way to common. We're seeing it happen over & over, and there is the potential for loss of life.

Like I said I'm sorry, but stroking your feelings with love & best wishes simply will not prevent the next person with a hybrid from doing the same thing.
    We need to make people know just how serious this is.

Side note:
    If these were baby cribs or dog food that were exploding, they would have already been recalled.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    I don't claim to have any knowledge of this type of device, but it does sound like when you tightened the atty down, it went too far and contact was made where there should be No contact. :(

Again, I am so glad that nothing really serious happened to you. You did get VERY lucky that it wasn't near your face when it went.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    For anyone looking on in this thread, wondering about terminology or wanting to learn.
    This is what and where the "hybrid" look mods got the idea.

Direct connection for lower voltage loss and a sleek one piece look.

True hybrid-
    download-3.jpg

Notice there is no 510 only a center or positive post
    images-1.jpg

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2012
    Sorry for coming across in a harsh manor, but darn it, this is becoming way to common. We're seeing it happen over & over, and there is the potential for loss of life.

Like I said I'm sorry, but stroking your feelings with love & best wishes simply will not prevent the next person with a hybrid from doing the same thing.
    We need to make people know just how serious this is.

only way is for manufacturers of these type of devices is to include instructions and warnings with the mods they sell. they need to educate their customers in it's use, but im doubtful that will happen as most of my mech mods I have ordered just come plain jane in a box with no instructions at all, not to mention the amount of small time businesses out there who make this kind of stuff and sell it out of their homes. This is honestly one aspect of vaping I see that needs regulation, which is scary, because its regulation and you also cant trust everyone out there to go about and educate themselves on this type of stuff since vaping is getting huge. Regulation or no regulation in this aspect, both are scary, dont want government regulations but also don't want more and more people blowing stuff up.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    I've always been amazed that mods with hybrid top caps ever made it into the mainstream vaping marketplace. Kinda like if Ford decided to sell street legal top fuel dragsters on their lots.

not ford, but...
    Kawasaki H2R...

I would prefer to have the OPTION to buy or not.
    I am responsible for ME.

I

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    Honestly - I am not looking for sympathy although I do appreciate it. But telling me these things are for people who know how to use them is not helping me at all. Tell me why, tell me what to look for, tell me what to avoid. That yes would be helpful and informative. And that is why people come here - to learn. If whatever is written here is helpful to others who might read it than that is something positive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread