A SMPL Explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
unfortunately this is one reason we need some regulations. hybrid mods are dangerous and should not be on the market.If businesses won't regulate themselves and stop selling unsafe products then that opens the door for government regulation.center pin mechanical mods are safe and many of us use them with no problems.my nemesis cost less than $11 and has worked well for me. I know enough about electronics to be concerned about regulated mods. pass transistors can short and can exploded when feeding a short or high current load.their are other threads here about the locking on which could overheat a sub-ohm atty and cause a fire or battery explosion. glad you were not hurt too badly and thanks for posting this thread. it may serve to warn others about a dangerous product.

Reactions: Papillon61

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I love my SMPL, but I am going to go take another good, hard look at how much the center post protrudes on ALL my drippers.

So glad the OP is OK.

EVERY TIME.

If somebody is using a mod with no center pin relying on the topper centerpin to contact the top of the battery, and if you are using the common place toppers with a 510 thread interface, you have to check that thing EVERY TIME you attempt to screw down the topper onto the battery.

Even so you still have to ensure that the act of screwing in the topper does not end up pressing the centerpin upwards and cause the 510 thread to contact the battery resulting in a short.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    When the threaded (negative) part of the atomizer touches the battery positive post, you have a dead short. period.

Pressing the fire button or not is moot at this point, the atomizer body has already shorted the battery.

NO.
    Something has to be touching the bottom (negative) end of the battery for the short to be complete.

Last edited:

philoshop

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    This is partially a result of the plug-n-play way-o-the-world right now: that if two things can somehow be connected, it's assumed that they are supposed to be compatible and work together. That's not a good assumption.
    The most common vape-related instance would be the various USB cables and charge ports where there is a huge potential for mismatch even though things "plug together just fine".

We're all guilty of this mindset at times, and this is in no way a personal jab Papillon. It's become part of the technology experience.
    Regulation is not the answer, unless mandatory education and licensing of users is somehow considered 'appropriate regulation'.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    EVERY TIME.

If somebody is using a mod with no center pin relying on the topper centerpin to contact the top of the battery, and if you are using the common place toppers with a 510 thread interface, you have to check that thing EVERY TIME you attempt to screw down the topper onto the battery.

Even so you still have to ensure that the act of screwing in the topper does not end up pressing the centerpin upwards and cause the 510 thread to contact the battery resulting in a short.
    The other issue I see is even with a proper pin, when the battery top caves in it starts to make contact

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    This is partially a result of the plug-n-play way-o-the-world right now: that if two things can somehow be connected, it's assumed that they are supposed to be compatible and work together. That's not a good assumption.
    The most common vape-related instance would be the various USB cables and charge ports where there is a huge potential for mismatch even though things "plug together just fine".

We're all guilty of this mindset at times, and this is in no way a personal jab Papillon. It's become part of the technology experience.
    Regulation is not the answer, unless mandatory education and licensing of users is somehow considered 'appropriate regulation'.
    Sure first you get the regulation kit in the mail, then you have to go down and watch some grainy black and white films like in high school. And you get an official vaping license, with endorsements like a DL. After a class or two you get certified in regulated, unregulated, coil builder. Sub ohm safety, DIY mixer, battery standards etc. From there the vape shop has to see your permit before showing you a mod.

What could possibly go wrong:rolleyes:

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Actually the solution has existed for a couple of years. It's just that no one wants to include it into their designs.

DSCN1389_large.jpg

Do away with the mods top cap altogether, and make the top cap part of the atomizer.
    That way you could ONLY use hybrid compatible atomizers on your hybrid mods.
    Our reliance on the 510 connector is the problem.

Yes.
    Right now the problem is different sized mod threads.
    If mod came with a standard thread - example if most mods were m21x1 at the top, then people who make topper can design them with m21x1 threading so that the could hybrid.

I have a couple toppers that can hybrid, but I don't have with the right thread to use them in hybrid mode

Reactions: roxynoodle

umanbean

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 28, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    NO.
    Something has to be touching the bottom (negative) end of the battery for the short to be complete.

OK

The odd thing Thrasher is that I wasn't even pressing the fire button... I was simply holding the mod and screwing the atty on when it just blew up.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    I'm still having trouble adding pics to this album which apparently is the only way you can add pics to a post on this new interface. (Let me know if there is a more direct way please). Anyways this was this morning. It's my son's birthday today so I was getting ready to go and have lunch at his place. I was placing my most favourite Kanger Geni tank on this Smpl mod so as not to carry my larger battery. The tank didn't seem to be making contact so I tightened it down slightly further, not much mind you.. didn't have time to tighten too much anyway because the whole thing exploded, and there was some fire coming out of it before I threw it away from me. My whole room was covered in soot. There's a gash on my pretty high ceiling about 15 ft behind where I was sitting and also sooty marks on the wall about the door of the room some 20 feet away.

Naturally the tank was totally ruined.. even the solid SS chimney is now crooked and even though the battery vented from the bottom, luckily! There is no trace of the fire buttom though the spring is still intact. Also luckily I was able the salvage my keyboard which initially I thought had been ruined as well.

I do have more pictures but like I said I am having trouble uploading them>~

Was was it my fault? the fault of the battery? the fault of the mod? What do I do, apart from trying to get over the shock. Please advise. Thank you.

The first place I'd look is where did you get the mod from.
    Whoever sold you the mod should have warned about it.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    The first place I'd look is where did you get the mod from.
    Whoever sold you the mod should have warned about it.
    What I always wondered is how the designers feel, after finding out they created one of the most dangerous mods in existence without proper guidance from the reseller.

philoshop

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    Sure first you get the regulation kit in the mail, then you have to go down and watch some grainy black and white films like in high school. And you get an official vaping license, with endorsements like a DL. After a class or two you get certified in regulated, unregulated, coil builder. Sub ohm safety, DIY mixer, battery standards etc. From there the vape shop has to see your permit before showing you a mod.

What could possibly go wrong:rolleyes:

Precisely my point Thrasher. :D

Reactions: Thrasher

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Yes.
    Right now the problem is different sized mod threads.
    If mod came with a standard thread - example if most mods were m21x1 at the top, then people who make topper can design them with m21x1 threading so that the could hybrid.

I have a couple toppers that can hybrid, but I don't have with the right thread to use them in hybrid mode

Right. I have a Gus Estia, Aqua v2 and Aqua SE that need 20 x 1 threaded mechs to hybridize. Not all of my mechs have that threading.

I have an Aqua v1 as well, and it can only hybridize to the Origin.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    unfortunately this is one reason we need some regulations. hybrid mods are dangerous and should not be on the market.If businesses won't regulate themselves and stop selling unsafe products then that opens the door for government regulation.center pin mechanical mods are safe and many of us use them with no problems.my nemesis cost less than $11 and has worked well for me. I know enough about electronics to be concerned about regulated mods. pass transistors can short and can exploded when feeding a short or high current load.their are other threads here about the locking on which could overheat a sub-ohm atty and cause a fire or battery explosion. glad you were not hurt too badly and thanks for posting this thread. it may serve to warn others about a dangerous product.
    Actually, these threads are a VERY good substitute for regulations. When people hear of these types of occurrences, you bet those making these devices are watching and listening very carefully. If they aren't, vapers tend to make their voices heard by using their wallets as their voice.

If this was left up to the 'regulators' it would take many more incidences, even deaths, to occur before word is released and a recall is issued.

erratum

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2015
    Kansas City
    Just gotta say thanks for the thread & glad you are okay. I've a SMPL clone voting from fasttech & feel a lot more aware than I was before reading this.

Question ..... what would a hard plastic washer do on the atty's 510? Could one not use a washer to allow the 510 to extrude farther than stock, provided the 510 was long enough to thread?

The Erlkonigin tank has such a washer for use if the 510 won't meet the mods positive pin.

Would this not solve the issue?

Reactions: mauricem00

Amraann

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2011
    Florida
    I have smpl .. I had really no clue about mech mods pior to that. My son came home with one and I like it so he brought me to the vape shop and bought one for my birthday. The shop did a pretty good job of explaining things to me. But I came here and did my own research and watched several YouTube videos.

I am very careful but to be honest I am somewhat leary to use it after reading so many posts like OP's.
    Which is sad bcause I really do like it. I have a darkhorse atty and a haze atty for it and am careful to check the center pin as well as the battery often.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2014
    Perth , Australia
    Thats why you need to read as much as you can and don't assume all mods are the same.
    I have the smpl mod and before I got it I read around and found out what hybrid top meant.
    Check the attys I use on it have a protruding 510 screw that stays out and doesn't push back in.
    Any atty with just a 510 pin for me would be a no go even if the pin sticks out.

Reactions: mattiem
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread