burning, almost coppery taste after vaping - NOT COIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke96

Apr 25, 2015
Hi, sorry if there is a similar thread I am relatively new here,
I have always had issues with burning e liquid over various devices and brands,
I currently have a istick 30w with a kanger subtank, only bought the tank yesterday and battery last week, however it was fine yesterday, was vaping at an average of 17w, however i did go up to 30w depending on stress levels (And i'd gone from 20mg to 6 mg given i was now subbing) - However since today i have noticed a burning, almost coppery, metally (Apologies for my brilliant description) accross the range of vaping, used to get it with my old i stick but only when i was vaping at higher levels, however now it is happening all accross the range, obviously a lot worse and completely metally at higher wattage, any advice? - Swapped out the coil to the 1.2 and it was still doing it, with a fresh refill of liquid, was adding the coil properly and everything. just thought i'd solved this issue. many thanks for any advice, this is a £80+ setup so i want to get anything returned if there is anything wrong with tank etc/

EDIT: When I was in the shop they mentioned it could be the pg/vg of the liquid, however it was doing it at 70/30 and now 50/50, any advice?

Last edited:

Luke96

Apr 25, 2015
Had a very similar problem with a rusty,coppery taste a while back ( thought it was the coil as well at first) and found that a few of my "stainless" steel drip tips had started to rust on the inside...threw them right out and continue to keep an eye on the ones I have left.
And yeah that's the sort of feedback I have been getting, although I only bought the tank thursday so I doubt it's that, thank you for replying though, much appreciated.

NOTE: All I keep getting back from the shop is ''You vape too much'' - That's not an excuse...

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Have you thoroughly cleaned the 510 connection(s) lately?
When you changed the head & refilled with fresh juice did you wash / clean all the parts & pieces.
If not the taste might return from the residual funk in the parts & pieces..
More airflow will help prevent burnt taste by cooling the coil & wick contact area.

Metallic tastes have a fairly wide causation;
over powering the delivery device, dry coil, vaping faster than the wicking material nearest the coil can fully re saturate, short or hot spot in coil, 510 connection arcing due to grunge in connection surfaces, insulator in base burned / melted/cracked/cut/misplaced/ not doing its job causing arcing, some juice flat tastes bad at higher W, flavorings in your juice reacting to too much power, vapors tongue, dehydration.
There are several medical causes of metallic tastes / odors best to see a DR if it is persistent.

IMO, a substank using the replaceable heads isn't a high watt delivery delivery device, could be you are scorching the head at 17w and burning the wicking material at 30w.

If you've always had problems with burnt tastes with all sorts of equipment most likely it isn't the equipment.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi, sorry if there is a similar thread I am relatively new here,
I have always had issues with burning e liquid over various devices and brands,
I currently have a istick 30w with a kanger subtank, only bought the tank yesterday and battery last week, however it was fine yesterday, was vaping at an average of 17w, however i did go up to 30w depending on stress levels (And i'd gone from 20mg to 6 mg given i was now subbing) - However since today i have noticed a burning, almost coppery, metally (Apologies for my brilliant description) accross the range of vaping, used to get it with my old i stick but only when i was vaping at higher levels, however now it is happening all accross the range, obviously a lot worse and completely metally at higher wattage, any advice? - Swapped out the coil to the 1.2 and it was still doing it, with a fresh refill of liquid, was adding the coil properly and everything. just thought i'd solved this issue. many thanks for any advice, this is a £80+ setup so i want to get anything returned if there is anything wrong with tank etc/

EDIT: When I was in the shop they mentioned it could be the pg/vg of the liquid, however it was doing it at 70/30 and now 50/50, any advice?

IMO, if you have washed the tank parts with either dish soap or alcohol, make sure the coil is not gunked up, if you're using cotton make sure that isn't burned and you're not running too high in power, you will not be burning juice or anything else that is unhealthy.

This does not however mean that if you are vaping strawberry juice that it will always taste the same, or even always taste like strawberry. Our perception of taste is a combination of smell and taste with more influence from smell than taste buds. Our sense of smell is not stable. For example, if you are in an environment which has strong scents in it you will fairly quickly notice those scents much less than you do at first. This is the reason that when people vape a lot of the same juice they can completely lose the flavor. We call it vaper's tongue, but it's really much more about the nose.

Different people also do not experience the same flavor from the same juices. If you read comments people leave for juices on vendor's websites you'll see what I mean.

What you are experiencing can be a bit tricky to figure out because of all the variables involved. The easy part is to make sure the hardware is good and you're not overpowering your juice. After that it may simply be a matter of finding juices that work for you and getting a handle on what makes the flavor changes you're experiencing. To complicate it all a bit more, different atomizer types also change juice flavor.

Best of luck with it :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread