Dry hit problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODee

Sep 30, 2019
Hey. I have a very annoying dry hit problem with my Innokin Zenith tank. I can't figure out what makes it happen. It happened on an used coil, so then i changed coils, but it happened again on the new coil.

I have 30% PG 70% VG liquid, didn't chain vape too much, had it on 14 watts, the tank was full, i had primed the coil...

Help is very appreciated!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Give it some more time and see if that helps, maybe 10-15 min?

Some other possible causes might be
If your taking long drags 6 seconds or longer, that might do it. The e-liquid might be causing it, try a different one and see if it makes a difference. And finally, you might have gotten some bad coils, it happens sometimes.

ODee

Sep 30, 2019
Give it some more time and see if that helps, maybe 10-15 min?

Some other possible causes might be
If your taking long drags 6 seconds or longer, that might do it. The e-liquid might be causing it, try a different one and see if it makes a difference. And finally, you might have gotten some bad coils, it happens sometimes.

Ok, is my current coil ruined? Do i have to change it? It does display the ohms so it's not completely busted at least.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I always start out low, like at 10w and then increase but of course it depend on your coils and whether you can go low. Also, when I prime, I put a few drops on the coil and then wait a bit and add more until it starts to pool at the top.

Which coils are you using? Some folks have more trouble with the plexus ones.

• Agree

ODee

Sep 30, 2019
    I always start out low, like at 10w and then increase but of course it depend on your coils and whether you can go low. Also, when I prime, I put a few drops on the coil and then wait a bit and add more until it starts to pool at the top.

Which coils are you using? Some folks have more trouble with the plexus ones.
    I'm using the 0,5 ohm coils, it also says z-coil kal and recommended watts are 14-19. I can go as low as 7 watts on my device.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Ok, is my current coil ruined? Do i have to change it? It does display the ohms so it's not completely busted at least.
    Displaying ohms has nothing to do with having to change coil, it's simply a matter i
    Of taste...after a while one will know when it's time to change it simply by taste. When a coil gets cruddy it's time for a new one and the best way to tell is by taste. Some do notice a slight change in resistance on an older coil, but you cannot go by that. If this current coil tastes off one every vape or every other vape, or one in every 3 vapes, its toast.....

ODee

Sep 30, 2019
    Displaying ohms has nothing to do with having to change coil, it's simply a matter i
    Of taste...after a while one will know when it's time to change it simply by taste. When a coil gets cruddy it's time for a new one and the best way to tell is by taste. Some do notice a slight change in resistance on an older coil, but you cannot go by that. If this current coil tastes off one every vape or every other vape, or one in every 3 vapes, its toast.....
    Thanks for the advice. But, one time i forgot to prime the coil and fired up the device - a dry hit came, and i heard a sound from the device. The ohms were showing at 9,99, the coil was complete toast. So i heard that if you see 9,99 in ohms on the screen, either the coil isn't properly placed or it is complete toast.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Thanks for the advice. But, one time i forgot to prime the coil and fired up the device - a dry hit came, and i heard a sound from the device. The ohms were showing at 9,99, the coil was complete toast. So i heard that if you see 9,99 in ohms on the screen, either the coil isn't properly placed or it is complete toast.
    Honestly I have never really vaped a drop in coil, so perhaps they have a code now that gives you an idea...I'm strictly an rta guy, so I speak for rebuildable coils but theres really no difference when it comes time to change a coil. I have accidentally hit the wattage button up way to high and took a vape and instantly had a dry/burnt hit , sometimes the cotton is toast and sometimes you get lucky and it didnt burn and After a vape or two , one knows this. it's pretty much the same on an older coil on it's way out, you kind of get a sense on flavor and know that any time your going to get this funk taste that tells you its time......you may have had a dry hit and your coil is still fine, but it could also be bad and really the only way to tell is after a few more vapes.....as for your particular reason for dry hits, could be a few things, but those are best answered from someone who actually uses those particular tanks

ODee

Sep 30, 2019
    Honestly I have never really vaped a drop in coil, so perhaps they have a code now that gives you an idea...I'm strictly an rta guy, so I speak for rebuildable coils but theres really no difference when it comes time to change a coil. I have accidentally hit the wattage button up way to high and took a vape and instantly had a dry/burnt hit , sometimes the cotton is toast and sometimes you get lucky and it didnt burn and After a vape or two , one knows this. it's pretty much the same on an older coil on it's way out, you kind of get a sense on flavor and know that any time your going to get this funk taste that tells you its time......you may have had a dry hit and your coil is still fine, but it could also be bad and really the only way to tell is after a few more vapes.....as for your particular reason for dry hits, could be a few things, but those are best answered from someone who actually uses those particular tanks

Right. It tasted burnt on 2-3 different occasions. It must be cooked then.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    Troubleshooting tips

9.99 Ohms means there is a short somewhere probably. No atomizer detected means the vaporizer(mod) can't detect ANY resistance, which means likely your coil is fried.

If you get 9.99 Ohms, either your tank, coil, or mod is messed up. It's usually the coil. If a different coil reads the same 9.99, then it is either the tank or mod.

Try using the tank on the mod empty, without a coil installed. It should read no atomizer detected. If that worked, try a different tank on that mod. If however you get 9.99 Ohms, then your mod is screwed. Try the tank on a different mod and if you get 9.99 Ohms with no coil installed, you've got a bad tank.

Hope this helps

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    With one of my zeniths the liquid flow alignment mark is off a little bit when I fully twist top cap. This causes dryish hits if it isn't corrected.
    Be sure you can see the alignment mark ^ in the center of the wicking hole / liquid flow window.

My other zenith aligns fine without slightly backing off the twist to close fill port / top cap.

I use 50/50 liquid so I have no idea if 30/70 is too thick to wick properly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread