As I Stumble Through the Vaping Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDDWho

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2016
Three and 1 half years ago a cancerous tumor was found in the upper lobe of my right lung. The 1/2 pack of cigarettes I had in my pocket were thrown away when I left the doctors office right after the discovery. I have not put one in my mouth since. I had surgery to remove the lobe.
Being seriously addicted to nicotine I asked my vaping daughter to get me started. She came up with some pencil batteries and a Kanger Protank Mini II. I replaced it many times during the last 3+ years with the same tank only "upgrading" to Eleaf Istick batteries. I worked my way down to .2% nicotine juice. I drilled out the air holes in the Protank to get more air flow. Battery life was minimal and refills on juice were frequent, vape clouds were small. I only went to 1 or 2 vape shops through the years not knowing what questions to ask for help with equipment, I just continued with the same set up. The neighbors daughter had an outfit that produced billows of vapor and a dandy looking outfit to do it with. I asked her what the brand was.... she didn't know and there was no writing on the unit.
I've came here looking for help but not knowing what questions to ask. I just looked.
The other day I was reading the GeekVape board and found someone asking for recommendations for an outfit. Most of the posters suggested an Aegis Cerberus 100W unit. I decided to order one. I have some 18650 batteries laying around. It came yesterday. I fired it up, made some adjustments and WOW what a hit. Seems to be a dandy outfit, sturdy and well made........ I ordered another one last night.

BTW I visit and Oncologist regularly and so far I'm cancer free.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Welcome and Congrats on quitting smoking and to remaining cancer free!

Glad you found something that works better for you now. However, you say you had "some 18650 batteries laying around" --- that is cause for some concern. Not all 18650's are equal, nor are all suitable for vaping. What brand of batteries do you have (and did they come from a reputable dealer), and what wattages are you using with your new mod?

Some reading material for a better understanding of battery choice can be found in @Baditude's blog article:
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Congratulations on everything you have accomplished! I would suggest that you read some of the posts on the Deeming and the flavor bans that are happening. You may need to look into getting a few more "spares" of everything for an uncertain future.

Jerry

DDDWho

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2016
Welcome and Congrats on quitting smoking and to remaining cancer free!

Glad you found something that works better for you now. However, you say you had "some 18650 batteries laying around" --- that is cause for some concern. Not all 18650's are equal, nor are all suitable for vaping. What brand of batteries do you have (and did they come from a reputable dealer), and what wattages are you using with your new mod?

Some reading material for a better understanding of battery choice can be found in @Baditude's blog article:
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
All Samsung of varying quality. A couple are old but lasted all of today with plenty of power, others are newer and better but haven’t tried those yet. Until I hit a problem I think I’m good.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
All Samsung of varying quality. A couple are old but lasted all of today with plenty of power, others are newer and better but haven’t tried those yet. Until I hit a problem I think I’m good.

Samsung make quality batteries. However, not all of them are appropriate.

If they are Samsung 25R (20amp), or 30Q(15-20amp), or 20S(30amp) or similar then you're probably good, yes ... but if they are Samsung 26j (5.2amp) or 29E (2.75amp), then probably no. If they weren't purchased from a trusted vendor they might be counterfeit and all bets are off regardless of what model the wrap says.

Stay safe.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Three and 1 half years ago a cancerous tumor was found in the upper lobe of my right lung. The 1/2 pack of cigarettes I had in my pocket were thrown away when I left the doctors office right after the discovery. I have not put one in my mouth since. I had surgery to remove the lobe.
    Being seriously addicted to nicotine I asked my vaping daughter to get me started. She came up with some pencil batteries and a Kanger Protank Mini II. I replaced it many times during the last 3+ years with the same tank only "upgrading" to Eleaf Istick batteries. I worked my way down to .2% nicotine juice. I drilled out the air holes in the Protank to get more air flow. Battery life was minimal and refills on juice were frequent, vape clouds were small. I only went to 1 or 2 vape shops through the years not knowing what questions to ask for help with equipment, I just continued with the same set up. The neighbors daughter had an outfit that produced billows of vapor and a dandy looking outfit to do it with. I asked her what the brand was.... she didn't know and there was no writing on the unit.
    I've came here looking for help but not knowing what questions to ask. I just looked.
    The other day I was reading the GeekVape board and found someone asking for recommendations for an outfit. Most of the posters suggested an Aegis Cerberus 100W unit. I decided to order one. I have some 18650 batteries laying around. It came yesterday. I fired it up, made some adjustments and WOW what a hit. Seems to be a dandy outfit, sturdy and well made........ I ordered another one last night.

BTW I visit and Oncologist regularly and so far I'm cancer free.

Congrats on giving cancer the middle finger :D and also congratulations on such an amazing journey. I'm glad you have finally found your vaping nirvana :wub:

DDDWho

ECF Veteran
    May 13, 2016
    Samsung make quality batteries. However, not all of them are appropriate.

If they are Samsung 25R (20amp), or 30Q(15-20amp), or 20S(30amp) or similar then you're probably good, yes ... but if they are Samsung 26j (5.2amp) or 29E (2.75amp), then probably no. If they weren't purchased from a trusted vendor they might be counterfeit and all bets are off regardless of what model the wrap says.

Stay safe.

Two are 25R and 2 are 30Q (pink) and are the newest and least used. So far (one day) the batteries I have have been holding up quite well. Time will tell. I can always upgrade if need be later.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread