COPD And Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverEagleBW

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
I am a long time member of this forum,i have been here for 12 years.I have been vaping before i found this place,yep over 12 years of vaping under my belt.I just turned 69 years old and had to call an ambulance for bad knees etc could not stand up,(sucks getting old),,SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,i get to the hospital,doctor found out i vaped and made a HUGE issue out if it,He told me i had COPD and if i even got the flu i could die,,,,I told him that last march i had type B influenza,did not take the pills they gave me and i got through the flu just fine.lmao
He wanted to make a point and to make an example out of me,(DOH),i said FINE FOOL,lol
He sent me to do the chamber COPD test,that is the standard test for COPD,Little does this clown know that for the last 20 years i have worked with severely handicapped children,and have fought with STUPID doctors that i know where screwing up on kids,I was studying to get a PHD in psychology and one of my hobbies was neuropsychology and have diagnosed dying children on their deathbed when the doctors gave up all hope,You have no idea on how painful it is to stand there when a man of god is giving a child his last rights.Long story short i have never misdiagnosed a single child or lost one in the last 20 years,I have gained the respect of one of the top neurosurgeons in America.I went to war with him 4 times and was correct every single time,he finally gave up,walked up to me and told me,"No child will ever leave this hospital again unless you say so.He said I dont know how you do what the hell you do.you never look at an xray,MRI a CT scan,,,,,,but you are always correct.We are friends now,he knows me as the "BULLRIDER FROM WYOMING"..i made that bull.... story up to cover my ... for the bull riding tatoo on my arm,he fell for it,lol,i have never been near a damned bull in my whole life,,,,lol.
The reason i am telling you guys my knowledge is i think the FDA is full of crap and this bull of congress etc is ONE BIG LIE!!
Like i said,i am 69 years old i chain smoked for years,found vaping 12 years ago was able to stop smoking in two days due to vaping.Recent chest xray CLEAR AS A BELL,NO COPD,nothing!,,,i dont blow clouds,i vape at 15 watts,.15 nic, mix my own juice,i go light on the flavor...i am good to go and i vape all day long well into the night.

So let me be an example of someone who has vaped for years.with no negative health effects.The doctor was working overtime to find something wrong with me so he could blame vaping,he suffered one huge FAIL,,,!!!,Dont buy into what politicians try to sell you,,IT IS ALL ABOUT BIG TOBACCO AND MONEY,!!

Last edited:

mark40511

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lexington KY
We've vaped for the same length of time. I never have problems breathing or anything.....the only thing I can think of is sometimes I get a scratchy throat. I quit smoking the day my pen style e cig arrived in the mail. I think back about how in the world I did it. Those pen styles were a e liquid were a drop in the bucket compared to what's available now. I vape a LOT! Only 3 mg and fruit flavors and I put some menthol in them usually at 10 to 11 watts.

One thing I don't understand is, in all my time vaping, the only residue I've seen on anything (and I don't even think it's residue) but there's something in the vape in the winter months that (over time) makes my windows in the house foggy looking. It doesn't happen in the summer. It's like there's some weird reaction to the vape and cold and windows. I'm a clean freak. I vacuum top to bottom, wipe everything down, get on ladders with the vacuum and I have never seen the slightest hint of any residue on anything other than the windows when it's cold. And when I do clean the fog off the windows, it's clear and has no color, as if all it is is just moisture. If there were e liquid residue on everything, I'd FREAK out. The reason I bring this up is just yesterday I saw someone post where they vape and have e liquid on their walls and squirting out the fan of their laptop and they were thinking of quitting vaping because of it. I'm like, WTH? I've never experienced anything like this. I don't blow clouds either but I do take lots of big puffs that will fill my room with vape...

Glad you don't have COPD.......They really do want to find anything and everything they can to scare people out of vaping....and how dare you insinuate that it could help you quit smoking. They have convinced many people that vaping is more dangerous than smoking. Crazy world.

SilverEagleBW

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
We've vaped for the same length of time. I never have problems breathing or anything.....the only thing I can think of is sometimes I get a scratchy throat. I quit smoking the day my pen style e cig arrived in the mail. I think back about how in the world I did it. Those pen styles were a e liquid were a drop in the bucket compared to what's available now. I vape a LOT! Only 3 mg and fruit flavors and I put some menthol in them usually at 10 to 11 watts.

One thing I don't understand is, in all my time vaping, the only residue I've seen on anything (and I don't even think it's residue) but there's something in the vape in the winter months that (over time) makes my windows in the house foggy looking. It doesn't happen in the summer. It's like there's some weird reaction to the vape and cold and windows. I'm a clean freak. I vacuum top to bottom, wipe everything down, get on ladders with the vacuum and I have never seen the slightest hint of any residue on anything other than the windows when it's cold. And when I do clean the fog off the windows, it's clear and has no color, as if all it is is just moisture. If there were e liquid residue on everything, I'd FREAK out. The reason I bring this up is just yesterday I saw someone post where they vape and have e liquid on their walls and squirting out the fan of their laptop and they were thinking of quitting vaping because of it. I'm like, WTH? I've never experienced anything like this. I don't blow clouds either but I do take lots of big puffs that will fill my room with vape...

Glad you don't have COPD.......They really do want to find anything and everything they can to scare people out of vaping....and how dare you insinuate that it could help you quit smoking. They have convinced many people that vaping is more dangerous than smoking. Crazy world.

Mark,what you have is condensation on the windows,,,when warm air comes in contact with cold air ( the windows are cold in the winter ) and will cause condensation,In the winter when i vape while on the road i have to clean the windows every few days.What i do to reduce that is to crack one of the windows and crank up the heat a little in the winter,really reduces the fog.
Clean your windows,dont be lazy like me,lol,,,Farmers who build pole barns and dont insulate the roof have major issues with condensation from the warm air coming in contact with the cold roof,some have told me that at times it is like a mini rainstorm in the barn.

SilverEagleBW

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
I have vaped for almost 12 years. I complained to my NP about a cough and a scratchy throat. She ordered a CXR. Perfectly normal.

Territoo,you might have a mild allergic reaction to PG or VG,,,nicotine can cause that issue also,I am allergic to nicotine,level 4,that is why i vape low levels of nicotine,next time order some low nic juice,check the results ,could also be caused by the vape flavoring..
If that isnt the issue check with an ear nose and throat doc,you might have a deviated septum,can cause all sorts of problems including in the throat,I have a bad one from crashing racing bikes and even have a broken bone sticking into a nostril that i had no idea i had,yep gonna need surgery,,lol

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Geez, I'm just a newbe here ;)
    I started vaping in 2010, and smoked my last stinkie cigarette on April fools day 2011.
    I was 68 years old at the time, and even a triple bypass didn't make me quit smoking, but vaping did.
    (Bought an EGO)
    The good news is .... I will turn 80 this July, and I'M STILL ALIVE.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I am a long time member of this forum,i have been here for 12 years.I have been vaping before i found this place,yep over 12 years of vaping under my belt.I just turned 69 years old and had to call an ambulance for bad knees etc could not stand up,(sucks getting old),,SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,i get to the hospital,doctor found out i vaped and made a HUGE issue out if it,He told me i had COPD and if i even got the flu i could die,,,,I told him that last march i had type B influenza,did not take the pills they gave me and i got through the flu just fine.lmao
    He wanted to make a point and to make an example out of me,(DOH),i said FINE FOOL,lol
    He sent me to do the chamber COPD test,that is the standard test for COPD

The doctor was working overtime to find something wrong with me so he could blame vaping

That doctor is what I call a parrot. He's not really a doctor. He was trained (not educated) to do, say, think, act and react like he was trained to. He may not have put it in a report at that point, but what he did was diagnose you according to what they tell him, not according to actual facts and observation.

In your situation, you are a vaper therefore you have COPD. The ordering of the test meant very little at that point, he already diagnosed you and that was it. That's what he was trained (not educated) to do in the case of vapers.

Unfortunately, this is the most common type of "doctor" in the USA as it is the most efficient and profitable way to operate (in the minds of their trainers). I have been exposed to a plethora of them in the last 15+ years and maybe 0.5% of them have been actual doctors. 0.5% is pushing it. PCPs and E/R doctors being the worst, but these parrots are all through the "profession".

And don't get me started on PAs and DOs.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    NE Texas, USA
    kudos to all of you guys. I quit the stinkies for about 6 months when I got my Innokin SVD and since then I vape purely at home and smoke at work and in the car. I can't kick the stick and I wish I could. Any advice other than the obvious?
    For me it helped to have several devices with different flavors loaded in them and I just kept swapping out the flavor every little while. I enjoyed the flavors so much I just ran out of time to smoke.

Reactions: Vapah

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    kudos to all of you guys. I quit the stinkies for about 6 months when I got my Innokin SVD and since then I vape purely at home and smoke at work and in the car. I can't kick the stick and I wish I could. Any advice other than the obvious?

What is it that makes you feel comfortable vaping (and not smoking) at home, but not at work or in the car? The answer may hold the key to your issue, but it may take you a while to realize what the answer is.

Do you actually enjoy vaping when vaping at home and do feel you are getting what you need out of it when you are at home. Or are you forcing yourself to like/be satisfied with vaping when at home?

Vapah

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 17, 2014
    Mechanicsville, VA, United States
    What is it that makes you feel comfortable vaping (and not smoking) at home, but not at work or in the car? The answer may hold the key to your issue, but it may take you a while to realize what the answer is.

Do you actually enjoy vaping when vaping at home and do feel you are getting what you need out of it when you are at home. Or are you forcing yourself to like/be satisfied with vaping when at home?
    I think it the habit of smoking in the car and at work I have more stress so that's my excuse for a 5 minute break where I can step outside and relax.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

mark40511

ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2009
    Lexington KY

Small story: I think it was 2007/2008, I quit cold turkey. At that time, I was a land line telephone operator for GTE/Verizon. I waited until my 2 week vacation to try to quit because I knew I would NOT be able to do it while working. It was a miserable first week. I remember trying to sleep most of it because I just didn't want to be awake. The 2nd week was bad too, but not as shocking because I was slowly getting used to it. I think I took a couple of months before I was somewhat OK. I still wanted one though, but I just had to NOT think about it. Walking by someone smoking was the worst because I could smell it and it made me want one so BAD! Finally, 8 full months and I was at a restaurant dinner for a coworkers retirement party.

As I was leaving with a friend, I asked for 1 cig and we smoked while talking in the parking lot. I thought I could just smoke 1, but that didn't work. It worked for a couple of days but I ultimately started smoking again and smoked for about 8 more months until I accidentally came across this YouTube video. I wish I could remember her name. She was talking about E cigs. I think she was from Louisiana. I had never heard of E cigs. I binge watched her videos, looked vaping up via search an tried to learn about them. Finally ordered from Totally wicked...I sort of had pre-planned in my mind that when this thing got here, I was going to quit and anytime I wanted a cig, I would go to this and hopefully it wouldn't be the nightmare I went through quitting cold turkey. I got it, started using it and even though it was a little strange the first few days, it was a freaking PIECE of cake compared to cold turkey. I had 1/2 pack of analogs in the drawer....I never touched them again. It was really simple for me.......Anytime I wanted or cig or was dying for a cig, I just reached for the vape. That's all it took. All I needed was that inhale, exhale and the act of smoking.

I'm really not sure why other people have more problems than others. I didn't think anyone could be as addicted as me because I LOVED SMOKING. I've told so many people about vaping over the first few years before it was common knowledge, and some of them thought it was a good idea and tried it, but they just didn't seem interested in quitting and would just put it on the back burner for later or something and ultimately never went back to it.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

SilverEagleBW

ECF Veteran
    Feb 10, 2009
    That doctor is what I call a parrot. He's not really a doctor. He was trained (not educated) to do, say, think, act and react like he was trained to. He may not have put it in a report at that point, but what he did was diagnose you according to what they tell him, not according to actual facts and observation.

In your situation, you are a vaper therefore you have COPD. The ordering of the test meant very little at that point, he already diagnosed you and that was it. That's what he was trained (not educated) to do in the case of vapers.

Unfortunately, this is the most common type of "doctor" in the USA as it is the most efficient and profitable way to operate (in the minds of their trainers). I have been exposed to a plethora of them in the last 15+ years and maybe 0.5% of them have been actual doctors. 0.5% is pushing it. PCPs and E/R doctors being the worst, but these parrots are all through the "profession".

And don't get me started on PAs and DOs.

In a 200 mile diameter of where i live the doctors HATE ME,,lmao,reason is i am eductated in medicine and i have learned to diagnose the issue before we go into the ER.They have fits dealing with me because i ask questions they would never ever get from a normal patient.Doctors today are stupid as hell,i remember the good old days when a doctor was actually a doctor and cared about people he treated,not like today when their job description is to push and sell pills for the corrupt medical system in America.America is now ranked somewhere around 46th worldwide in medical care,look at Ecuador,little Ecuador,now how did they get ranked 20th worldwide?

Doctors in America kill by accident between 750 to 1000 people, a day,why are they not held accountable?Reason number one is our medical system,i have gone into court representing handicapped children that doctors have committed major errors in treatment.You would never believe the low life scum sharks the hospitals, use for defense firms,. These kids got messed up bad,you would think that the hospital would bend over backwards trying to make things right,WRONG,,,,,,They research the parents background and try to dig up dirt,anything they can to use in court to destroy a parent of a poor handicapped child..From my experience i will never trust a doctor until i run them through my standards,to see if they are up to snuff,,,
    This shipping ban is a good example of what the Medical professional and our leaders think of us,,they would let us die just so they can stuff their pockets...Look at Great Briton they did research,you can buy vape products in hospitals.AMERICA SUCKS!!!

Reactions: wvducklady

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm not knowledgeable in medical issues at all. However I have had a doctor berate me in the hallway once when a family member was in the ICU and they refused to do a procedure that I was pushing them to do as a last resort. They then decided to do it after I was berated. :rolleyes:

I have corrected doctors on medication changes pointing out to them that the change was made before and either didn't work or had detrimental effects. They thanked me for pointing that out.

All in all, I try to avoid doctors.

Doctors in America kill by accident between 750 to 1000 people, a day,why are they not held accountable?Reason number one is our medical system,i have gone into court representing handicapped children that doctors have committed major errors in treatment.You would never believe the low life scum sharks the hospitals, use for defense firms,. These kids got messed up bad,you would think that the hospital would bend over backwards trying to make things right,WRONG

There was one doctor that was SUPERB, but he got so sick of the politics of the medical system. He could not be a doctor anymore, just a parrot. He quit and went into teaching. What sad news that was for me.

Most nurses aren't great either. But I tell you, the ones that are are SPECTACULAR! All the best nurses I have ever encountered have 2 things in common: mental and psychical organization.

Reactions: wvducklady

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    In a 200 mile diameter of where i live the doctors HATE ME,,lmao,reason is i am eductated in medicine and i have learned to diagnose the issue before we go into the ER.They have fits dealing with me because i ask questions they would never ever get from a normal patient.Doctors today are stupid as hell,i remember the good old days when a doctor was actually a doctor and cared about people he treated,not like today when their job description is to push and sell pills for the corrupt medical system in America.America is now ranked somewhere around 46th worldwide in medical care,look at Ecuador,little Ecuador,now how did they get ranked 20th worldwide?

Doctors in America kill by accident between 750 to 1000 people, a day,why are they not held accountable?Reason number one is our medical system,i have gone into court representing handicapped children that doctors have committed major errors in treatment.You would never believe the low life scum sharks the hospitals, use for defense firms,. These kids got messed up bad,you would think that the hospital would bend over backwards trying to make things right,WRONG,,,,,,They research the parents background and try to dig up dirt,anything they can to use in court to destroy a parent of a poor handicapped child..From my experience i will never trust a doctor until i run them through my standards,to see if they are up to snuff,,,
    This shipping ban is a good example of what the Medical professional and our leaders think of us,,they would let us die just so they can stuff their pockets...Look at Great Briton they did research,you can buy vape products in hospitals.AMERICA SUCKS!!!

I'm a retired physician and I'll partially agree with you. There are a lot, maybe most of them, good physicians. They are becoming more rare because good students are now discouraged from going to medical school. It's no longer worth it. Things were just beginning to get bad when I was in school and if I had a chance to do it over again, I wouldn't. The physicians who aren't scumbags become victims of the system. I used to have to spend 15-20 minutes on computer/paperwork for every 5 minutes I actually spent with the patient. I'm glad I'm out of the business now.

• Informative

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    My favorite doctor growing up was a Medic in WWII. He used to talk about that sometimes. He gained a lot of insight from that experience that spilled over into his later MD training. He was also a previous smoker like most of his MD counterparts, but his wife constantly urged him to quit. He later would advise me every visit to quit smoking. He also talked about how the doctors in his medical association meetings filled the room with a haze from cigarettes and cigars. Smoking was even prevalent among doctors.

One night after quitting smoking he was studying for his medical exam, under a lot of pressure, and fussing about this and that. His wife left the house and slammed the door. A few minutes later she returned and threw a pack of cigarettes at him and told him to smoke and quit fussing about everything. He still had that pack of unopened cigarettes decades later as a reminder of his nicotine addiction.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    So let me be an example of someone who has vaped for years.with no negative health effects.The doctor was working overtime to find something wrong with me so he could blame vaping,he suffered one huge FAIL,,,!!!,Dont buy into what politicians try to sell you,,IT IS ALL ABOUT BIG TOBACCO AND MONEY,!!

I was lucky to have smoked for 30+ years without permanent damage from smoking. I quit in 2009 after discovering vaping. At that point my X-rays showed a little haze that doctors blamed on smoking. About 3 years after starting to vape, that haze had disappeared and my lungs have been clear through more than a decade of vaping. My O2 levels are now 98 and 99 percent O-sat and cat scans have shown clear results. Vaping is IMO a benign activity. Smoking kills and vaping seems to have little or no downside.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread