Round wire vs fused Clapton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archane

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2016
I’m a mouth to lung vapor and currently using the holic rda and galaxies rdta. I’ve tried using ni80 round wire and superfine mtl fused Clapton ni80 wire. The round wire is so easy to work with and the superfine is harder but I’m getting the hang of it. My question is with coils that ohm out the same with each wire I get flat flavor with the round wire and the flavor definitely pops with the fused Clapton wire. Is this normal? Same juice, same wattage, same ohms and same rda and squonk.
I love working with the round wire but not worth it if I can’t get better flavor.

Archane

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2016
The Clapton wire has much more surface area than the round wire, that’s why you’re getting better flavor.
I kinda figured that might be the case but i wish i could get the same flavor out of the round wire because its such a breeze to work with. The superfine fused clapton wire is very springy.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
If u want to get similar flavour then the round wire must have kinda same surface area as the Clapton...if u use a coil calculator u can get that result but u will have to use a little thicker round wire and maybe few wraps more than what u use now..
I would like to know the specs of the wires u use and the coils u make with both of them Clapton and round wire also....just curious

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I’m a mouth to lung vapor and currently using the holic rda and galaxies rdta. I’ve tried using ni80 round wire and superfine mtl fused Clapton ni80 wire. The round wire is so easy to work with and the superfine is harder but I’m getting the hang of it. My question is with coils that ohm out the same with each wire I get flat flavor with the round wire and the flavor definitely pops with the fused Clapton wire. Is this normal? Same juice, same wattage, same ohms and same rda and squonk.
I love working with the round wire but not worth it if I can’t get better flavor.

Taste is Very Subjective.

For me (Luckily or Unluckily) I'm in the Can't Taste a Huge Difference camp so I use Single Round Wire. If you like those Fused Clapton's better, then that is what I would go with.

I would just Make Sure that you are Stocked Up on Wire. And have a Bunch of Spools on hand. Because things are getting Hard to Get.

Last edited:

Archane

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah i bought plenty of both types of wire and i have a speed revolution rda coming as well that i hear is great with tobacco ejuices. I also have a berserker v2 rda and rta, the holic rda, galaxies rdta, stng rda and several sqounk mods and batteries and several regular mods so im pretty well covered no matter what. Plus the gallons of nicotine and pg and vg. I'm preparing for the worst so i can still enjoy vaping.

Oh and enough rayon to wick till the next ice age.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
superfine mtl fused clapton ni80 wire is 30ga x 2 + 38ga usually do 6 wraps ohms out around .75 to .8
round ni80 wire is 26ga usually do i think about 8 or 9 wraps, ohms out around .8

BTW - Doing a Same e-Liquid/Same RDA is a Good Comparison. But IMO, doing a Same Ohms/Same Wattage for 2 Coils is Not so much.

Some Builds, even if the are the Same Ohms as another, just Taste Better with More or Less Wattage.

Same with Ohms. For 26ga SS Wire, 6 or 7 Wraps to Me tastes Better than 8 or 9 Wraps no matter what Wattage I use.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
superfine mtl fused clapton ni80 wire is 30ga x 2 + 38ga usually do 6 wraps ohms out around .75 to .8
round ni80 wire is 26ga usually do i think about 8 or 9 wraps, ohms out around .8

Well then it seems that your wires are pretty similar in surface area and if u use coil calculator I am pretty sure the round wire at 9wraps has more surface than the Clapton on 6wraps sooo u should get the same flavour..I am assuming u have used both for long period of time and many times sooo I guess it's not that the wicking wasn't good at the round wire build making it perform worst...
Or maybe one of those 2 produce a warmer vapor and that affects how u taste it? Just saying
Anyways u can't go more wraps or thicker round wire for mtl it may be too much soo I guess u must stick with Clapton since u like it more..myself I only use Clapton's in whatever I vape...not anything crazy but Clapton's even tho I have seen similar results with round wire when it had similar surface area...

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Claptons became popular for a reason.
    But, with that said, I wrap my own coils, and at (almost) 80 years old, I'm damn sure NOT going to be wrapping claptons every time I want a nice clean coil!

Luckily I also DIY my own juice, and I damn sure DON'T use the same formulas for round wire that I would use for a clapton.

So here is the bottom line:
    I don't care what hardware you would give me, I'll mess with it until it tastes just like everything else that I use. .... and I DO know what taste I want.

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    For me I can get about the same flavor when we're talking about restrictive DL or mouth to lung from either provided we're talking about similar gauges of wire in total and I have a bit of time to work with it (I don't do super restrictive mouth to lung so I don't know anything about it).

certain devices that I use I swear when to themselves much better to simple round wire but I usually use 24 gauge round wire which isn't that much easier to work with than a thin clapton. I also like my Clapton flat usually with two or more wires inside the wrapping to give it that flat feeling. I find that the flat clapton is easier to work with for me than the rounded clapton.

But in general you're going to get better flavor with clapton's with less work because there's bigger surface area. If you're struggling with dealing with Clapton and it's the round Clapton try a small flatter clapton. I don't remember all the names they go by but two cores in the middle with one wrapping will do

Reactions: Superuser187

Archane

ECF Veteran
    Oct 16, 2016
    Well then it seems that your wires are pretty similar in surface area and if u use coil calculator I am pretty sure the round wire at 9wraps has more surface than the Clapton on 6wraps sooo u should get the same flavour..I am assuming u have used both for long period of time and many times sooo I guess it's not that the wicking wasn't good at the round wire build making it perform worst...
    Or maybe one of those 2 produce a warmer vapor and that affects how u taste it? Just saying
    Anyways u can't go more wraps or thicker round wire for mtl it may be too much soo I guess u must stick with Clapton since u like it more..myself I only use Clapton's in whatever I vape...not anything crazy but Clapton's even tho I have seen similar results with round wire when it had similar surface area...
    I went back and double checked my wicking and sure enough, rookie mistake. my tails were too long in both my rda's. I cut them down and now getting a beautiful vape. The one with round wire still doesn't seem quite as good of flavor but fairly close. Next i will try a couple less wraps with the round wire and see how it goes.

• Winner

Archane

ECF Veteran
    Oct 16, 2016
    For me I can get about the same flavor when we're talking about restrictive DL or mouth to lung from either provided we're talking about similar gauges of wire in total and I have a bit of time to work with it (I don't do super restrictive mouth to lung so I don't know anything about it).

certain devices that I use I swear when to themselves much better to simple round wire but I usually use 24 gauge round wire which isn't that much easier to work with than a thin clapton. I also like my Clapton flat usually with two or more wires inside the wrapping to give it that flat feeling. I find that the flat clapton is easier to work with for me than the rounded clapton.

But in general you're going to get better flavor with clapton's with less work because there's bigger surface area. If you're struggling with dealing with Clapton and it's the round Clapton try a small flatter clapton. I don't remember all the names they go by but two cores in the middle with one wrapping will do
    Thanks for the suggestion but im determined to get the hang of working with this superfine fused clapton wire because when you get it right its an amazing mouth to lung vape for flavor and i do usually go fairly tight on the airflow. I gave up the cloud chucking awhile back.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Thanks for the suggestion but im determined to get the hang of working with this superfine fused clapton wire because when you get it right its an amazing mouth to lung vape for flavor and i do usually go fairly tight on the airflow. I gave up the cloud chucking awhile back.
    It's always better to stick with what you have and try to work with it until it becomes right. I just hate to think of anyone getting too frustrated. I used a tiny flat Clapton I think it was 2 30 gauge wires wrapped with a 40 gauge on my doggy style which I feel weird even saying those words but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about...And that's actually the tank that I'm talking about when I say some of them just seem better with round wire and this is one of them. Especially since you have to hook the wire around the screw. I'm sure you'll get the hang of the Clapton they do make some pretty fine flat clapton though.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Sounds like you are doing fine (and of course wicking is important) One tip... when you first put a coil in (before you wick it) do a "dry burn" (short pulses at lower watts than you expect to use) It cleans any residue off the coil but is also a good way to judge how many watts to use. You just want a nice even orange glow... don't get them super hot. Say I dry burn at 20 watts... I can guess that I will use it at 25 watts. Just because two coils have the same resistance doesn't mean they need the same watts. Also... look for hot spots.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread