about suggestions to new vapors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rum87mage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
United States
trolls ego and ce4 where made at the same time and work good with each other but more and more new people are talking about the nautilus tank and liking the clean taste vs the silicone wick taste frome the ce4 and vivi nova style tanks and they do not work good at all with the spinner being dual coil it drains the battery witch was made when cartos where a big thing. to fast and make them have to spend more money on more batteries when they could have bought a mob they can use while charging and that handles dual coil tanks no problem.

rum87mage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
United States
I can't help that you feel like you wasted a bunch of money on early ecigs. I didn't. I could have spent $175 on a Screwdriver, Prodigy, Chuck.... I didn't. I'm $1000's ahead.
The market has evolved. China has met our demand. We can choose what suits our needs.
Rather than have you dictate it.
i dont feel like i wasted any money i learned alot but still with the people who dont have money to wast we shouldnt be linking them 50 dollar pos pens when they have alot better options out now for far less.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I'm an old smoker set in his ways.

When I started I was sure that only a cig-sized would work for me. And it did. It took me 6 months to do the big upgrade to an ego...boy was that thing huge. I didn't use it much until I got used to it.

Now I mostly use 18650 sized, but still use egos for out and about. I have never been able to get used to a box shaped mod, or a bottom button mechanical.

I'm just saying, to each his own.

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
i dont feel like i wasted any money i learned alot but still with the people who dont have money to wast we shouldnt be linking them 50 dollar pos pens when they have alot better options out now for far less.
The way you're acting about this shows you're set in your ways. Don't you know other people are set in their ways. It's hard to get someone to change old habits. It's harder when they feel vv is too much to learn. I swore I'd never have a box mod but now I do. You never would have convinced me to in the beginning though. I respect your intentions. I really do but unfortunately I don't think your method works

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Everyone is different.
Different wants, different needs.

Everyone thinks they know what they want.
Often they are wrong, but sometimes they are right.

What to suggest to a new vaper has always been fraught with such issues.
It will continue that way for the foreseeable future.

Asking questions if FAR better than trying to give answers to questions not asked.
But nobody does that, so whatever.

Last edited:

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
Are you going to take someone who wants to drink for the first time to the bar and tell them to skip everything except the double barrel, quad filtered, fermented in the presence of a virgin top shelf liquor thats 20 bucks a shot, because you like it? Maybe they just want something simple like a $3.00 beer and they can expand their own pallet if they want. Half the fun of vaping is the discovery and finding your own path. Otherwise, whats the point of having more mods than hairs on your head and always posting pics of your collections......:lol:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
gonna post this here since....anyways...

unfortunately not everyone is ok with the fact of shopping from china....

not sure what this is aimed at, because honestly most vets do suggest most folks to get a vv ego or istick or mvp and a protank with airflow control.....

*cough*hence my sig ;)*cough*
but thanks for your :2c: everyone's opinion is helpful and that's the great thing about vaping, it's all about personal preferences and what they may or may not be comfortable with....some folks aren't ready yet to move out of the it must look like a cigarette phase.....while others are gung ho and realize that there's gotta be something better out there....

remember what worked for you, may not work for them....or they may not be comfortable with yet....
as i've stated many of times, i work in a gas station and most of my clientele can not get past the thought of it has to look like a cig....so what's the point of trying to pressure them into something that they are going to hate anyways because in their mindset it's atrocious....let them take their baby steps....yes i want to shake them and tell them they are wasting money, and usually i do try to get that point to them that the cig-a-likes only last maybe 30 minutes before a recharge and you are stuck using their carts, and i try to explain that they can refill the carts if they want to....and show them my istick 30w and about half the time i get some interest, they are surprised that it is still fairly small and that i can get a good 2 to 3 days off of one charge and i show them that it's not as difficult as they think and if they really wanted could still use carts on it until they are comfortable to use a good tank....

but to each their own....again that's the great thing about vaping it is all about personal preference....and then helping them find something to suit their needs within their budget.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Not going to wade into a debate but I started on Ego-C's and was a duel use for 3 months. Got a MVP and a Protank and forgot to smoke for thee days and just decided to quit. I smoked for 42 years. I say tool people with something that will work and they can grow with. I could have started with the MVP an saved $150. that the eGo-C Upgrade kit cost me. Maybe everyone is right. LOL Their is no magic answer as everyone is different. CHEERS!

Reactions: aikanae1

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
something in that sense that can run a dual coil tank like the kangertech at 1.2-2.4 ohms easy

vs something like a spinner that was really made for single coils at the time

and pointing them to new items that havent had the test of time like some of these mods do. seems like people are using them like ginne pigs to see how it works. thats not right

should be pointing them to items that have proven there selfs so they dont have to go through what we had to when we started.

I don't often read threads from new vapers looking for gear advice these days because I'm out of the loop on what's good currently with that stuff. However when I do read one I never see people suggesting cigalikes or low quality mods and attys. I don't know where you're getting this idea from rum87mage.

It really is more important to respond to what someone actually wants than to have a preconceived notion of what you think they need. People have stuck with cigalikes for years and stayed smoke free and newbies have started with mech mods and sub-ohm setups and been successful.

IMO if we could anything better than the way we generally do it here, it would be to ask more questions and better understand a person's needs before we give advice. Going more towards a one size fits all system would be counterproductive.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Naw, I can do better. I bought my firs dual joyetech ego kit for $80 and went out of town where it died. Came back a month later and warrenty had run out, tough luck (per b&m). Ordered several more twistss and pass throughs, t3's assorted other gear and juice, and again, almost everythig was dead in another 2 months (I wasn't paying for name brand anymore). I added up figures as to what it was going to cost in gear to always have something charged and ready to vape, to replace dead ones, so I could stay vaping 24/7. I got verified and bought a Provari mini with carto tank, batteries and charger off classies. Done. Everything else was fluff and fun from then on.

When I hear someone who says (and THEY have to say it) that they don't want to fiddle with gear, don't want gear that breaks down, want something dependable and reliable, or they want to get along with the least amount of gear, and "more huge big vapor" is not high on their list of priorities, then I will steer them towards a provari. I couldn't have bought mine soon enough (3 months after day 1).

For me, that was the single smartest, most cost effective purchase I could have made and it's still my 'rock of gibraltor' 2 years later, no regrets even though now I can buy whatever I want or need to. My provari is the piece of equipment I trust the most. I might feel the same about a REO also (it's been a thought). Equipment failure is a huge pet peeve and I'm sure it has a lot to do with how I started.

Nothing is for everyone. I started a couple of friends of mine vaping and they probably would not be as impressed with the provari largely because they've had me guiding their path and have avoided a lot of the equipment failures I experienced starting out. One I fully expect to progress into mechs and rda's, at somepoint exceeding my knowledge and the other I think will be happier getting new vapemail and pretty shineys every week.To each their own. We shall see.

The important part is to listen to their needs and actually hear them.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
You just dont get it man,

When I started I though something the size of a provari was ......ed. And they arent very big.

The average persons eyes gloss over as soon as you start talking about replacing coils and changing settings

Im speaking from real world experience. Start talking, filling, changing, fiddling, setting, options and they go......

Naaa nevermind it sounds like too much work.

But you say
Screw this on, press this button, recharge every night they go coooool thank

Argue all you want though - if we all liked the same things there would only be one flavor of soda

This has been my experience.
I set somebody up with... actually I gave him 2 setups
1: an ego type setup with an evod tank and a pack of spare coil; and charger of course
2: a mech with a kick , 2 18650 batteries and a charger - oh, and a magma rda.
Initially I lent him my poldiac, but when he wasn't using it I asked him to bring it back then later I lent him an m16 sentinel.

His first reaction had been -- it's just a whole lot easier to light up a cigarette.
But at least the last few times I checked he says he uses the setup at home.
He isn't going to be able to change wicking and dryburn for the moment; I do that.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I wo
Cigalikes are useless. I do started with one ($45, rechargable, 10 ml of juice, all awful). Waste of money. After two weeks ordered Vamo and really started to vape (wated for Vamo another week, my cigalike was not able survive till Vamo arrived - was broken in half). No, I never would recommend cigalike.

P.S. However these $45 spent on cigalike let me know that vaping is possible...
I know, old post. But, my mother in law uses a cigalike, and I think it's the best solution for her. She has a Mistic... In my opinion, it's a horrible vaporizer. Small battery, small juice supply.. but... it is something for her fingers to fiddle with. Even though she's a vaper, I don't consider her a vaper like what all of us are expecting. She was a former smoker, and tried the Egos... they didn't satisfy her because she has a lack of willpower to tough through some of the cravings. She was a dual smoker/vaper, and.. well, she ended up giving up the ecigs back to smoking.

After the Chantix, she officially chemically quit cigarettes, but there's stil lthat mental addiction that went along with it. She vapes zero nic juice in a mistic.... and that is what keeps her from going back to smoking.

I don't think Cigalikes are totally useless. For some, it's a good introduction to vaping, for others, it fills gaps that a vamo or istick 30 just doesn't qualify for. If someone is serious about quitting, and they insist on trying a cigalike, I suggest a few to them, but give them the notion that "these are not strong enough to get you to fully quit" Egos aret he bare minimum for quitting, but an Istick 30 is preferred to "fully quit". However, most people don't go from Cigarettes to a box mod, so like Baditude suggested, they need to go up the vaping ladder. Not the most cost effective, but it does work.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I think what needs to be kept in mind is that someone crossing over from smoking to vaping is coming from just that - smoking. A simple action where you take a stick out of a box, fire it, generally using just the thumb on a lighter and off you go. Personally I started with the GreenSmoke cigalikes and they kept me off the stinkies from day one - expensive but no hassle and a very easy transition from one system of nicotine use to something completely different. In retrospect yes, I would say the money I spent on that GS starter kit could have been better spent but would I, at that stage, have found the transition so easy if I had to dive into filling tanks, knowing when to change a coil head or wick, dealing with batteries that needed some basic knowledge for safety, even finding a source for juices? Again a hypothetical question, but the answer would probably be no - it would have been overwhelming at that stage. My learning curve was pretty fast - I was into RBAs in less than two months, but there has to be a learning curve ... there has to be an initiating process. What the novice vaper is going through is not merely a change of devices but a whole new mindset.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Cigalikes are useless. I do started with one ($45, rechargable, 10 ml of juice, all awful). Waste of money. After two weeks ordered Vamo and really started to vape (wated for Vamo another week, my cigalike was not able survive till Vamo arrived - was broken in half). No, I never would recommend cigalike.

P.S. However these $45 spent on cigalike let me know that vaping is possible...

they aren't useless. I still have 3 going.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
I think that plenty of people do in fact like cig a likes. OP if you wish to tell newbies your experience and what you suggest that is fine but you do not need to tell the rest of us what we should or should not suggest.

The only time I see people suggesting cig a likes is when someone asks about them specifically.

Personally, I still like my cigalikes. Of which I have several brands. I also like my mods. I have a SMPL and my newly aquired Panzer. (won in the ECF 15th million post contest!)

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
So what I take from the OP's post is all the stuff we've learned over the years we should keep to ourselves and tell noobs to get the same crappy setup we started on instead of trying to give them a starting setup that might actually work to help them quit smoking or dipping/chewing?

LMAO!!!

I was thinking the same thing.

Its almost like hazing. Or that thing where doctors work like 100 hours a week.

When I'm asked I skip the whole Ego/spinner/Prothingy stage and tell them what actually worked for me. Not what I threw away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread